- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 365194, 5 pages
Comparison of Hay’s Criteria with Nugent’s Scoring System for Diagnosis of Bacterial Vaginosis
1Centre of AIDS and Related Diseases, National Centre for Disease Control, 22 Shamnath Marg, New Delhi 110054, India
2Department of Microbiology, Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi 110002, India
3Department of Community Medicine, Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi 110002, India
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 28 May 2013
Academic Editor: Sohinee Bhattacharya
Copyright © 2013 Rohit Chawla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Modak, P. Arora, C. Agnes et al., “Diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis in cases of abnormal vaginal discharge: comparison of clinical and microbiological criteria,” Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 353–360, 2011.
- M. C. Morris, P. A. Rogers, and G. R. Kinghorn, “Is bacterial vaginosis a sexually transmitted infection?” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2001.
- J. E. Allsworth and J. F. Peipert, “Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis: 2001–2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 114–120, 2007.
- R. F. Lamont, D. J. Morgan, S. D. Wilden, and D. Taylor-Robinson, “Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis in women attending one of three general practices for routine cervical cytology,” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 495–498, 2000.
- P. G. Larsson and U. Forsum, “Bacterial vaginosis—a disturbed bacterial flora and treatment enigma,” APMIS, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 305–316, 2005.
- J. D. Sobel, “Bacterial vaginosis,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 51, pp. 349–356, 2000.
- M. Pirotta, K. A. Fethers, and C. S. Bradshaw, “Bacterial vaginosis. More questions than answers,” Australian Family Physician, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 394–397, 2009.
- D. M. Paige, M. Augustyn, W. K. Adih, F. Witter, and J. Chang, “Bacterial vaginosis and preterm birth: a comprehensive review of the literature,” Journal of Nurse-Midwifery, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 83–89, 1998.
- J. F. Peipert, A. B. Montagno, A. S. Cooper, and C. J. Sung, “Bacterial vaginosis as a risk factor for upper genital tract infection,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 177, no. 5, pp. 1184–1187, 1997.
- H. Wolrath, U. Forsum, P. G. Larsson, and H. Borén, “Analysis of bacterial vaginosis-related amines in vaginal fluid by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 4026–4031, 2001.
- J. Mania-Pramanik, S. C. Kerkar, and V. S. Salvi, “Bacterial vaginosis: a cause of infertility?” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 778–781, 2009.
- G. T. Spear, E. St. John, and M. R. Zariffard, “Bacterial vaginosis and human immunodeficiency virus infection,” AIDS Research and Therapy, vol. 4, article 25, 2007.
- H. L. Martin Jr., B. A. Richardson, P. M. Nyange et al., “Vaginal lactobacilli, microbial flora, and risk of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and sexually transmitted disease acquisition,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 180, no. 6, pp. 1863–1868, 1999.
- T. L. Cherpes, L. A. Meyn, M. A. Krohn, J. G. Lurie, and S. L. Hillier, “Association between acquisition of herpes simplex virus type 2 in women and bacterial vaginosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 319–325, 2003.
- H. C. Wiesenfeld, S. L. Hillier, M. A. Krohn, D. V. Landers, and R. L. Sweet, “Bacterial vaginosis is a strong predictor of Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis infection,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 663–668, 2003.
- R. Amsel, P. A. Totten, C. A. Spiegel, K. C. Chen, D. Eschenbach, and K. K. Holmes, “Nonspecific vaginitis. Diagnostic criteria and microbial and epidemiologic associations,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 14–22, 1983.
- R. P. Nugent, M. A. Krohn, and S. L. Hillier, “Reliability of diagnosing bacterial vaginosis is improved by a standardized method of gram stain interpretation,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 297–301, 1991.
- C. A. Ison and P. E. Hay, “Validation of a simplified grading of Gram stained vaginal smears for use in genitourinary medicine clinics,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 413–415, 2002.
- E. H. Koumans, M. Sternberg, C. Bruce et al., “The prevalence of bacterial vaginosis in the United States, 2001–2004; associations with symptoms, sexual behaviors, and reproductive health,” Sexually Transmitted Diseases, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 864–869, 2007.
- M. R. Anderson, K. Klink, and A. Cohrssen, “Evaluation of vaginal complaints,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 11, pp. 1368–1379, 2004.
- U. Forsum, T. Jakobsson, P. G. Larsson et al., “An international study of the interobserver variation between interpretations of vaginal smear criteria of bacterial vaginosis,” APMIS, vol. 110, no. 11, pp. 811–818, 2002.
- P.-G. Larsson, B. Carlsson, L. Fåhraeus, T. Jakobsson, and U. Forsum, “Diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis: need for validation of microscopic image area used for scoring bacterial morphotypes,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 2004.
- U. Forsum, P.-G. Larsson, and C. Spiegel, “Scoring vaginal fluid smears for diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis: need for quality specifications,” APMIS, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 156–159, 2008.