- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 368178, 11 pages
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Inhibit Tumor Growth in a Rat Model of Bladder Cancer
1Laboratory of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, IBILI, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal
2Department of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Coimbra University Hospital, 3000-075 Coimbra, Portugal
3Service of Anatomic Pathology, Coimbra University Hospital, 3000-075 Coimbra, Portugal
Received 24 April 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Achille Cittadini
Copyright © 2013 Belmiro Parada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Grasso, “Bladder cancer: a major public health issue,” European Urology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 510–515, 2008.
- J. Ferlay, P. Autier, M. Boniol, M. Heanue, M. Colombet, and P. Boyle, “Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 581–592, 2007.
- Z. Kirkali, T. Chan, M. Manoharan et al., “Bladder cancer: epidemiology, staging and grading, and diagnosis,” Urology, vol. 66, no. 6, supplement, pp. 4–34, 2005.
- R. J. Sylvester, A. P. M. Van Der Meijden, W. Oosterlinck et al., “Predicting recurrence and progression in individual patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer using EORTC risk tables: a combined analysis of 2596 patients from seven EORTC trials,” European Urology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 466–475, 2006.
- S. B. Malkowicz, H. van Poppel, G. Mickisch et al., “Muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 1, supplement, pp. 3–16, 2007.
- M. P. Zeegers, F. E. Tan, E. Dorant, and P. A. Van Den Brandt, “The impact of characteristics of cigarette smoking on urinary tract cancer risk: a meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies,” Cancer, vol. 66, pp. 4–34, 2000.
- M. Kogevinas, A. 'T Mannetje, S. Cordier et al., “Occupation and bladder cancer among men in Western Europe,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 907–914, 2003.
- D. J. Wolff, “The genetics of bladder cancer: a cytogeneticist's perspective,” Cytogenetic and Genome Research, vol. 118, no. 2–4, pp. 177–181, 2007.
- R. Baffa, J. Letko, C. McClung, J. LeNoir, A. Vecchione, and L. G. Gomella, “Molecular genetics of bladder cancer: targets for diagnosis and therapy,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 145–160, 2006.
- E. Kunze, A. Schauer, and S. Schatt, “Stages of transformation in the development of N butyl N (4 hydroxybutyl) nitrosamine induced transitional cell carcinomas in the urinary bladder of rats,” Zeitschrift fur Krebsforschung und Klinische Onkologie, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 139–160, 1976.
- S. Fukushima, M. Hirose, and H. Tsuda, “Histological classification of urinary bladder cancers in rats induced by N butyl N (4 hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine,” Gann, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 81–90, 1976.
- P. A. Oliveira, A. Colaço, L. F. De La Cruz P, and C. Lopes, “Experimental bladder carcinogenesis-rodent models,” Experimental Oncology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 2006.
- R. Montironi and R. Mazzucchelli, “Preneoplastic lesions and conditions of the urinary bladder,” EAU Update Series, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 53–63, 2003.
- G. Sauter, F. Algaba, and M. Amin, “Tumors of the urinary system: non-invasive urothelial neoplasias,” in WHO Classification of Tumors of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs, J. N. Eble, G. Sauter, J. L. Epstein, and I. Sesterhenn, Eds., pp. 29–34, IARCC Press, Lyon, France, 2004.
- J. T. Leppert, O. Shvarts, K. Kawaoka, R. Lieberman, A. S. Belldegrun, and A. J. Pantuck, “Prevention of bladder cancer: a review,” European Urology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 226–234, 2006.
- B. Parada, J. Sereno, F. Reis et al., “Anti-inflammatory, anti-proliferative and antioxidant profiles of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition as chemoprevention for rat bladder carcinogenesis,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 8, no. 17, pp. 1615–1622, 2009.
- B. Parada, F. Reis, A. Figueiredo et al., “Inhibition of bladder tumour growth by sirolimus in an experimental carcinogenesis model,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 135–143, 2011.
- B. Parada, F. Reis, A. Pinto, et al., “Chemopreventive efficacy of atorvastatin against nitrosamine-induced rat bladder cancer: antioxidant, anti-proliferative and anti-inflammatory properties,” International Journal of Molecular Science, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 8482–8499, 2012.
- J. C. Fernandes, J. Sereno, P. Garrido, et al., “Inhibition of bladder tumor growth by chitooligosaccharides in an experimental carcinogenesis model,” Marine Drugs, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 2661–2675, 2012.
- M. La Guardia, S. Giammanco, D. Di Majo, G. Tabacchi, E. Tripoli, and M. Giammanco, “Omega 3 fatty acids: biological activity and effects on human health,” Panminerva Medica, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 245–257, 2005.
- A. P. Simopoulos, “Omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids: biological effects,” World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 99, pp. 1–16, 2009.
- M. De Lorgeril, “Essential polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases,” Sub-Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 42, pp. 283–297, 2007.
- A. A. Farooqui, “N-3 fatty acid-derived lipid mediators in the brain: new weapons against oxidative stress and inflammation,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 532–543, 2012.
- P. C. Calder, “The role of marine omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids in inflammatory processes, atherosclerosis and plaque stability,” Molecular Nutrients & Food Research, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1073–1080, 2012.
- L. Raffaelli, S. Serini, E. Piccioni et al., “N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid effect in periodontal disease: state of art and possible mechanisms involved,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 261–266, 2008.
- S. Serini, E. Piccioni, and G. Calviello, “Dietary n-3 PUFA vascular targeting and the prevention of tumor growth and age-related macular degeneration,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 34, pp. 4511–4526, 2009.
- C. H. MacLean, S. J. Newberry, W. A. Mojica et al., “Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cancer risk: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 4, pp. 403–415, 2006.
- I. M. Berquin, I. J. Edwards, and Y. Q. Chen, “Multi-targeted therapy of cancer by omega-3 fatty acids,” Cancer Letters, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 363–377, 2008.
- G. Calviello, S. Serini, E. Piccioni, and G. Pessina, “Antineoplastic effects of N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in combination with drugs and radiotherapy: preventive and therapeutic strategies,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 287–301, 2009.
- C. H. Maclean, S. J. Newberry, W. A. Mojica et al., “Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cancer,” Evidence Report-Technology Assessment, no. 113, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- M. Brausi, J. A. Witjes, D. Lamm et al., “A review of current guidelines and best practice recommendations for the management of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer by the international bladder cancer group,” Journal of Urology, vol. 186, no. 6, pp. 2158–2167, 2011.
- J.-B. Lattouf, “Chemoprevention in bladder cancer: what's new?” Journal of the Canadian Urological Association, vol. 3, no. 6, supplement, pp. S184–S187, 2009.
- B. Stocco, K. Toledo, M. Salvador, M. Paulo, N. Koyama, and M. R. Torqueti Toloi, “Dose-dependent effect of resveratrol on bladder cancer cells: chemoprevention and oxidative stress,” Maturitas, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 2012.
- M. E. Goossens, F. Buntinx, S. Joniau et al., “Designing the selenium and bladder cancer trial (SELEBLAT), a phase lll randomized chemoprevention study with selenium on recurrence of bladder cancer in Belgium,” BMC Urology, vol. 12, article 8, 2012.
- S. Hori, E. Butler, and J. McLoughlin, “Prostate cancer and diet: food for thought?” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 107, no. 9, pp. 1348–1359, 2012.
- A. J. Cockbain, G. J. Toogood, and M. A. Hull, “Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids for the treatment and prevention of colorectal cancer,” Gut, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 135–149, 2012.
- C. Signori, K. El-Bayoumy, J. Russo et al., “Chemoprevention of breast cancer by fish oil in preclinical models: trials and tribulations,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 19, pp. 6091–6096, 2011.
- T. Norat, S. Bingham, P. Ferrari, et al., “Meat, fish, and colorectal cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into cancer and nutrition,” Journal of National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 906–916, 2005.
- J. E. Manson, S. S. Bassuk, I.-M. Lee et al., “The Vitamin D and Omega-3 TriaL (VITAL): rationale and design of a large randomized controlled trial of vitamin D and marine omega-3 fatty acid supplements for the primary prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 159–171, 2012.
- R. Molinari, D. D'Eliseo, L. Manzi, L. Zolla, F. Velotti, and N. Merendino, “The n3-polyunsaturated fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid induces immunogenic cell death in human cancer cell lines via pre-apoptotic calreticulin exposure,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1503–1507, 2011.
- S. J. Mackie, D. M. Sharma, A. J. Cooper, N. M. Harris, and B. A. Lwaleed, “Meglumine Eicosapentaenoic acid (MeEPA) a new soluble omega-3 fatty acid formulation: in vitro bladder cancer cytotoxicity tests in combination with epirubicin and mitomycin,” Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 367–373, 2006.
- A. R. Eynard, “Is the risk of the urinary tract tumorigenesis enhancced by a marginal chronic essential fatty acid deficiency (EFAD)?” Nutrition, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 211–216, 1998.
- S. McClinton, L. E. F. Moffat, D. F. Horrobin, and M. S. Manku, “Abnormalities of essential fatty acid distribution in the plasma phospholipids of patients with bladder cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 314–316, 1991.
- M. T. Brinkman, M. R. Karagas, M. S. Zens, A. R. Schned, R. C. Reulen, and M. P. Zeegers, “Intake of α-linolenic acid and other fatty acids in relation to the risk of bladder cancer: results from the New Hampshire case-control study,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 1070–1077, 2011.
- M. Ohtani, T. Kakizoe, and Y. Nishio, “Sequential changes of mouse bladder epithelium during induction of invasive carcinomas by N-butyl-N-(4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine,” Cancer Research, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 2001–2004, 1986.
- K. Hattori, K. Iida, A. Joraku, S. Tsukamoto, H. Akaza, and R. Oyasu, “Chemopreventive effects of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor and epidermal growth factor-receptor kinase inhibitor on rat urinary bladder carcinogenesis,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 640–643, 2006.
- A. Federico, F. Morgillo, C. Tuccillo, F. Ciardiello, and C. Loguercio, “Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in human carcinogenesis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 11, pp. 2381–2386, 2007.
- G. Calviello, P. Palozza, E. Piccioni, et al., “Dietary supplementation with eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid inhibits growth of Morris hepatocarcinoma 3924A in rats: effects on proliferation and apoptosis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 699–705, 1998.
- A. Barascu, P. Besson, O. Le Floch, P. Bougnoux, and M.-L. Jourdan, “CDK1-cyclin B1 mediates the inhibition of proliferation induced by omega-3 fatty acids in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 196–208, 2006.
- M. D. Boudreau, K. H. Sohn, S. H. Rhee, S. W. Lee, J. D. Hunt, and D. H. Hwang, “Suppression of tumor cell growth both in nude mice and in culture by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: mediation through cyclooxygenase-independent pathways,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 1386–1391, 2001.
- N. Kobayashi, R. J. Barnard, S. M. Henning et al., “Effect of altering dietary ω-6/ω-3 fatty acid ratios on prostate cancer membrane composition, cyclooxygenase-2, and prostaglandin E2,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 15, pp. 4662–4670, 2006.
- W. E. Hardman, “(n-3) fatty acids and cancer therapy,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 12, supplement, pp. 3427S–3430S, 2004.
- C. W. Hendrickse, M. R. B. Keighley, and J. P. Neoptolemos, “Dietary ω-3 fats reduce proliferation and tumor yields at colorectal anastomosis in rats,” Gastroenterology, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 431–439, 1995.
- L. Fini, G. Piazzi, C. Ceccarelli et al., “Highly purified eicosapentaenoic acid as free fatty acids strongly suppresses polyps in ApcMin/+ mice,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 23, pp. 5703–5711, 2010.
- G. Calviello, S. Serini, and E. Piccioni, “n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the prevention of colorectal cancer: molecular mechanisms involved,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 29, pp. 3059–3069, 2007.
- C. Boutros, P. Somasundar, A. Razzak, S. Helton, and N. J. Espat, “Omega-3 fatty acids: investigations from cytokine regulation to pancreatic cancer gene suppression,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 145, no. 6, pp. 515–520, 2010.
- L. Spencer, C. Mann, M. Metcalfe et al., “The effect of omega-3 FAs on tumour angiogenesis and their therapeutic potential,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 2077–2086, 2009.
- G. Calviello, P. Palozza, F. Di Nicuolo, N. Maggiano, and G. M. Bartoli, “n-3 PUFA dietary supplementation inhibits proliferation and store- operated calcium influx in thymoma cells growing in Balb/c mice,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 182–188, 2000.
- K. El Gehani, L. Al-Kikhia, N. Mansuri, K. Syrjänen, O. Al-Fituri, and A. Elzagheid, “Angiogenesis in urinary bladder carcinoma as defined by microvessel density (MVD) after immunohistochemical staining for Factor VIII and CD31,” Libyan Journal of Medicine, vol. 6, article 6016, 2011.
- R. E. Harris, “Cyclooxygenase-2 (cox-2) and the inflammogenesis of cancer,” Sub-cellular biochemistry, vol. 42, pp. 93–126, 2007.
- A. Vecchini, V. Ceccarelli, F. Susta et al., “Dietary α-linolenic acid reduces COX-2 expression and induces apoptosis of hepatoma cells,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 308–316, 2004.
- A. J. Vecchio, D. M. Simmons, and M. G. Malkowski, “Structural basis of fatty acid substrate binding to cyclooxygenase-2,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 29, pp. 22152–22163, 2010.