- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 371429, 8 pages
Biosynthesis of Osmoregulated Periplasmic Glucans in Escherichia coli: The Phosphoethanolamine Transferase Is Encoded by opgE
1Unité de Glycobiologie Structurale et Fonctionnelle, UMR CNRS 8576, IFR 147, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, 59655 Villeneuve d’Ascq Cedex, France
2Université Lille Nord de France, Lille, France
Received 27 June 2013; Revised 30 August 2013; Accepted 2 September 2013
Academic Editor: Yun-Peng Chao
Copyright © 2013 Sébastien Bontemps-Gallo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Vieira and J. Messing, “The pUC plasmids, and M13mp7-derived system for insertion mutagenesis and sequencing with synthetic universal primers,” Gene, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 259–268, 1982.
- J.-M. Lacroix, M. Tempête, B. Menichi, and J.-P. Bohin, “Molecular cloning and expression of a locus (mdoA) implicated in the biosynthesis of membrane-derived oligosaccharides in Escherichia coli,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1173–1182, 1989.
- J.-M. Lacroix, E. Lanfroy, V. Cogez, Y. Lequette, A. Bohin, and J.-P. Bohin, “The mdoC gene of Escherichia coli encodes a membrane protein that is required for succinylation of osmoregulated periplasmic glucans,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 181, no. 12, pp. 3626–3631, 1999.
- C. J. Yanisch-Perron, J. Vieira, and J. Messing, “Improved M13 phage cloning vectors and host strains: nucleotide sequences of the M13mp18 and pUC19 vectors,” Gene, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 103–119, 1985.
- F. Bouchart, G. Boussemart, A. F. Prouvost et al., “The virulence of a Dickeya dadantii 3937 mutant devoid of osmoregulated periplasmic glucans (OPGs) is restored by inactivation of the RcsCD RcsB phosphorelay,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 192, no. 13, pp. 3484–3490, 2010.
- K. A. Datsenko and B. L. Wanner, “One-step inactivation of chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli K-12 using PCR products,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 6640–6645, 2000.
- W. Ebel, G. J. Vaughn, H. K. Peters III, and J. E. Trempy, “Inactivation of mdoH leads to increased expression of colanic acid capsular polysaccharide in Escherichia coli,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 179, no. 21, pp. 6858–6861, 1997.
- S. Bontemps-Gallo, E. Madec, J. Dondeyne et al., “Concentration of osmoregulated periplasmic glucans (OPGs) modulates the activation level of the RcsCD RcsB phosphorelay in the phytopathogen bacteria Dickeya dadantii,” Environmental Microbiology, vol. 15, pp. 881–894, 2013.
- A. A. Bhagwat, W. Jun, L. Liu et al., “Osmoregulated periplasmic glucans of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium are required for optimal virulence in mice,” Microbiology, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 229–237, 2009.
- J. P. Bohin and J. M. Lacroix, “Osmoregulation in the periplasm,” in The Periplasm, M. Ehrmann, Ed., pp. 325–341, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- J.-M. Lacroix, I. Loubens, M. Tempete, B. Menichi, and J.-P. Bohin, “The mdoA locus of Escherichia coli consists of an operon under osmotic control,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1745–1753, 1991.
- Y. Lequette, E. Lanfroy, V. Cogez, J.-P. Bohin, and J.-M. Lacroix, “Biosynthesis of osmoregulated periplasmic glucans in Escherichia coli: the membrane-bound and the soluble periplasmic phosphoglycerol transferases are encoded by the same gene,” Microbiology, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 476–483, 2008.
- B. J. Jackson, J.-P. Bohin, and E. P. Kennedy, “Biosynthesis of membrane-derived oligosaccharides: characterization of mdoB mutants defective in phosphoglycerol transferase I activity,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 976–981, 1984.
- J. H. Miller, A Short Course in Bacterial Genetics: A Laboratory Manual and Handbook for Escherichia coli and Related Bacteria, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- M. N. Yap, C. H. Yang, J. D. Barak, C. E. Jahn, and A. O. Charkowski, “The Erwinia chrysanthemi type III secretion system is required for multicellular behavior,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 639–648, 2005.
- T. Silhavy, M. Berman, and L. Enquist, Experiments with Gene Fusions, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- R. G. Spiro, “Analysis of sugars found in glycoproteins,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 8, pp. 3–27, 1966.
- E. L. Sonnhammer, G. von Heijne, and A. Krogh, “A hidden Markov model for predicting transmembrane helices in protein sequences,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, vol. 6, pp. 175–182, 1998.