- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 371430, 18 pages
Adhesion, Growth, and Maturation of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells on Low-Density Polyethylene Grafted with Bioactive Substances
1Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083, 142 20 Prague 4-Krc, Czech Republic
2Institute of Chemical Technology, Technicka 5, 166 28 Prague 6-Dejvice, Czech Republic
Received 28 August 2012; Accepted 14 February 2013
Academic Editor: Benaissa El Moualij
Copyright © 2013 Martin Parizek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. P. Greisler, C. W. Tattersall, J. J. Klosak, E. A. Cabusao, J. D. Garfield, and D. U. Kim, “Partially bioresorbable vascular grafts in dogs,” Surgery, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 645–654, 1991.
- L. Bacakova, V. Mares, M. G. Bottone, C. Pellicciari, V. Lisa, and V. Svorcik, “Fluorine-ion-implanted polystyrene improves growth and viability of vascular smooth muscle cells in culture,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 369–379, 2000.
- L. Bačáková, V. Mareš, V. Lisá, and V. Švorčík, “Molecular mechanisms of improved adhesion and growth of an endothelial cell line cultured on polystyrene implanted with fluorine ions,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1173–1179, 2000.
- L. Bacakova, E. Filova, D. Kubies et al., “Adhesion and growth of vascular smooth muscle cells in cultures on bioactive RGD peptide-carrying polylactides,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1317–1323, 2007.
- S. H. Daebritz, B. Fausten, B. Hermanns et al., “New flexible polymeric heart valve prostheses for the mitral and aortic positions,” The Heart Surgery Forum, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. E525–532, 2004.
- N. Saito and K. Takaoka, “New synthetic biodegradable polymers as BMP carriers for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 2287–2293, 2003.
- S. A. Atwood, D. W. Van Citters, E. W. Patten, J. Furmanski, M. D. Ries, and L. A. Pruitt, “Tradeoffs amongst fatigue, wear, and oxidation resistance of cross-linked ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 1033–1045, 2011.
- C. F. Schierle and L. A. Casas, “Nonsurgical rejuvenation of the aging face with injectable poly-L-lactic acid for restoration of soft tissue volume,” Aesthetic Surgery Journal, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 95–109, 2011.
- K. W. Ng, D. W. Hutmacher, J. T. Schantz, et al., “Evaluation of ultra-thin poly(ε-caprolactone) films for tissue-engineered skin,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 441–455, 2001.
- T. Garg, O. Singh, S. Arora, and R. Murthy, “Scaffold: a novel carrier for cell and drug delivery,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1–63, 2012.
- L. Bacakova, E. Filova, F. Rypacek, V. Svorcik, and V. Stary, “Cell adhesion on artificial materials for tissue engineering,” Physiological Research, vol. 53, supplement 1, pp. S35–S45, 2004.
- L. Bacakova, E. Filova, M. Parizek, T. Ruml, and V. Svorcik, “Modulation of cell adhesion, proliferation and differentiation on materials designed for body implants,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 739–767, 2011.
- L. Bacakova and V. Svorcik, “Cell colonization control by physical and chemical modification of materials,” in Cell Growth Processes: New Research, D. Kimura, Ed., pp. 5–56, Nova Science, Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2008.
- I. Pashkuleva, A. P. Marques, F. Vaz, and R. L. Reis, “Surface modification of starch based biomaterials by oxygen plasma or UV-irradiation,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 21–32, 2010.
- S. Tajima, J. S. F. Chu, S. Li, and K. Komvopoulos, “Differential regulation of endothelial cell adhesion, spreading, and cytoskeleton on low-density polyethylene by nanotopography and surface chemistry modification induced by argon plasma treatment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 828–836, 2008.
- J. Heitz, V. Svorcik, L. Bacakova et al., “Cell adhesion on polytetrafluoroethylene modified by UV-irradiation in an ammonia atmosphere,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 130–137, 2003.
- R. Mikulikova, S. Moritz, T. Gumpenberger et al., “Cell microarrays on photochemically modified polytetrafluoroethylene,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 5572–5580, 2005.
- M. Parizek, N. Kasalkova, L. Bacakova et al., “Improved adhesion, growth and maturation of vascular smooth muscle cells on polyethylene grafted with bioactive molecules and carbon particles,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 4352–4374, 2009.
- L. Bacakova, L. Grausova, J. Vacik et al., “Nanocomposite and nanostructure carbon-based films as growth substrates for bone cells,” in Advances in Diverse Industrial Applications of Nanocomposites, B. Reddy, Ed., pp. 399–435, Intech, 2011.
- V. Svorcik, N. Kasalkova, P. Slepicka et al., “Cytocompatibility of Ar+ plasma-treated and Au nanoparticle-grafted PE,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 267, no. 11, pp. 1904–1910, 2009.
- N. Kasalkova, Z. Makajova, M. Parizek et al., “Cell adhesion and proliferation on plasma-treated and poly(ethylene glycol)-grafted polyethylene,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 743–754, 2010.
- N. Slepickova, N. Kasalkova, P. Slepicka et al., “Cell adhesion and proliferation on polyethylene grafted with Au nanoparticles,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 272, pp. 391–395, 2012.
- M. Parizek, K. Novotná, and L. Bačáková, “The role of smooth muscle cells in vessel wall pathophysiology and reconstruction using bioactive synthetic polymers,” Physiological Research, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 419–437, 2011.
- A. Van Amerongen, J. H. Wichers, L. B. J. M. Berendsen et al., “Colloidal carbon particles as a new label for rapid immunochemical test methods—quantitative computer image analysis of results,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 185–195, 1993.
- P. Slepicka, S. Trostova, N. Slepickova-Kasalkova, Z. Kolska, P. Sajdl, and P. V. Svorcik, “Surface modification of biopolymers by argon plasma and thermal treatment,” Plasma Processes and Polymers, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 197–206, 2012.
- V. Bursikova, P. Stahel, Z. Navratil, J. Bursik, and J. Janca, Surface Energy Evaluation of Plasma Treated Materials By Contact Angle Measurement, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic, 2004.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- K. Rockova, V. Svorcik, L. Bacakova, B. Dvorankova, J. Heitz, and V. Hnatowicz, “Bio-compatibility of ion beam-modified and RGD-grafted polyethylene,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 225, no. 3, pp. 275–282, 2004.
- V. Švorčík, V. Rybka, V. Hnatowicz, and K. Smetana, “Structure and biocompatibility of ion beam modified polyethylene,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 435–440, 1997.
- V. Svorcik and V. Hnatowicz, “Properties of polymers modified by plasma discharge and ion beam,” in Polymer Degradation and Stability Research Developments, L. B. Albertov, Ed., pp. 171–216, Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- C. O'Connell, R. Sherlock, M. D. Ball, et al., “Investigation of the hydrophobic recovery of various polymeric biomaterials after 172 nm UV treatment using contact angle, surface free energy and XPS measurements,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 255, no. 8, pp. 4405–4413, 2009.
- V. Švorčík, K. Kolářová, P. Slepička, A. Macková, M. Novotná, and V. Hnatowicz, “Modification of surface properties of high and low density polyethylene by Ar plasma discharge,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 1219–1225, 2006.
- Q. Wang, Y. X. Guan, S. J. Yao, and Z. Q. Zhu, “Controllable preparation and formation mechanism of BSA microparticles using supercritical assisted atomization with an enhanced mixer,” Journal of Supercritical Fluids, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 97–104, 2011.
- Y.-S. Lin, S.-S. Wang, T.-W. Chung et al., “Growth of endothelial cells on different concentrations of Gly-Arg-Gly-Asp photochemically grafted in polyethylene glycol modified polyurethane,” Artificial Organs, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 617–621, 2001.
- S. Huang, C. S. Chen, and D. E. Ingber, “Control of cyclin D1, p27(Kip1), and cell cycle progression in human capillary endothelial cells by cell shape and cytoskeletal tension,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3179–3193, 1998.
- S. Huang and D. E. Ingber, “Shape-dependent control of cell growth, differentiation, and apoptosis: switching between attractors in cell regulatory networks,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 261, no. 1, pp. 91–103, 2000.
- A. L. Koenig, V. Gambillara, and D. W. Grainger, “Correlating fibronectin adsorption with endothelial cell adhesion and signaling on polymer substrates,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 20–37, 2003.
- J. E. Koblinski, M. Wu, B. Demeler, K. Jacob, and H. K. Kleinman, “Matrix cell adhesion activation by non-adhesion proteins,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 118, no. 13, pp. 2965–2974, 2005.
- T. J. Webster, C. Ergun, R. H. Doremus, R. W. Siegel, and R. Bizios, “Specific proteins mediate enhanced osteoblast adhesion on nanophase ceramics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 475–483, 2000.
- J. Lu, C. Yao, L. Yang, and T. J. Webster, “Decreased platelet adhesion and enhanced endothelial cell functions on nano and submicron-rough titanium stents,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 18, no. 13-14, pp. 1389–1398, 2012.
- H. M. Kowalczyńska, M. Nowak-Wyrzykowska, R. Kołos, J. Dobkowski, and J. Kamiński, “Semiquantitative evaluation of fibronectin adsorption on unmodified and sulfonated polystyrene, as related to cell adhesion,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 944–956, 2008.
- L. Bacakova, L. Grausova, M. Vandrovcova et al., “Carbon nanoparticles as substrates for cell adhesion and growth,” in Nanoparticles: New Research, S. L. Lombardi, Ed., pp. 39–107, Nova Science, Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2008.
- H. Mao, Y. Wang, Z. Li et al., “Hsp72 interacts with paxillin and facilitates the reassembly of focal adhesions during recovery from ATP depletion,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 15, pp. 15472–15480, 2004.
- C. A. Carter and T. Bellido, “Decrease in protein tyrosine phosphorylation is associated with F-actin reorganization by retinoic acid in human endometrial adenocarcinoma (RL95-2) cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 320–332, 1999.
- C. E. Turner, “Paxillin interactions,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 113, part 23, pp. 4139–4140, 2000.
- R. Zaidel-Bar, R. Milo, Z. Kam, and B. Geiger, “A paxillin tyrosine phosphorylation switch regulates the assembly and form of cell-matrix adhesions,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 120, part 1, pp. 137–148, 2007.
- N. F. Worth, B. E. Rolfe, J. Song, and G. R. Campbell, “Vascular smooth muscle cell phenotypic modulation in culture is associated with reorganisation of contractile and cytoskeletal proteins,” Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 130–145, 2001.
- B. Sjöblom, A. Salmazo, and K. Djinović-Carugo, “Alpha-actinin structure and regulation,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 65, no. 17, pp. 2688–2701, 2008.