- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 371951, 11 pages
A Comparison between Tube Surgery, ND:YAG Laser and Diode Laser Cyclophotocoagulation in the Management of Refractory Glaucoma
1Western Eye Hospital, 153-173 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5QH, UK
2Sydney Eye Hospital, 8 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia
3Queens Medical Centre, Derby Road, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
4Department of Ophthalmology, The American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut 113-6044, Lebanon
5Moorfields Eye Hospital, 162 City Road, London EC1V 2PD, UK
Received 3 April 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: Susmito Biswas
Copyright © 2013 Philip A. Bloom et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. D. Brown and J. E. Cairns, “Experience with the Molteno long tube implant,” Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 297–312, 1983.
- A. C. Molteno, “The use of draining implants in resistant cases of glaucoma. Late results of 110 operations,” Transactions of the Ophthalmological Society of New Zealand, vol. 35, pp. 94–97, 1983.
- R. A. Hitchings, N. H. Joseph, M. B. Sherwood, J. Lattimer, and M. Miller, “Use of one-piece valved tube and variable surface area explant for glaucoma drainage surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1079–1084, 1987.
- D. S. Minckler, D. K. Heuer, B. Hasty, G. Baerveldt, R. C. Cutting, and W. E. Barlow, “Clinical experience with the single-plate Molteno implant in complicated glaucomas,” Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 1181–1188, 1988.
- C. E. Traverso, K. F. Tomey, and A. Al-Kaff, “The long-tube single plate Molteno implant for the treatment of recalcitrant glaucoma,” International Ophthalmology, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 159–162, 1989.
- R. A. Hitchings, M. J. Lavin, and M. Calthorpe, “Glaucoma drainage tubes—their role in glaucoma management,” International Ophthalmology, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 151–157, 1989.
- C. A. Omi, G. V. de Almeida, R. Cohen, C. Mandia Jr., and S. Kwitko, “Modified Schocket implant for refractory glaucoma. Experience of 55 cases,” Ophthalmology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 211–214, 1991.
- G. Bietti, “Surgical intervention on the ciliary body; new trends for the relief of glaucoma,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 142, no. 12, pp. 889–897, 1950.
- C. Hong, A. Arosemena, D. Zurakowski, and R. S. Ayyala, “Glaucoma drainage devices: a systematic literature review and current controversies,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 48–60, 2005.
- H. Beckman and H. S. Sugar, “Neodymium laser cyclocoagulation,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 27–28, 1973.
- R. G. Devenyi, G. E. Trope, W. H. Hunter, and O. Badeeb, “Neodymium:YAG transscleral cyclocoagulation in human eyes,” Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 1519–1522, 1987.
- R. M. Klapper, T. Wandel, E. Donnenfeld, and H. D. Perry, “Transscleral neodymium:YAG thermal cyclophotocoagulation in refractory glaucoma. A preliminary report,” Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 719–722, 1988.
- G. E. Trope and S. Ma, “Mid-term effects of neodymium:YAG transscleral cyclocoagulation in glaucoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 73–75, 1990.
- C. Hampton, M. B. Shields, K. N. Miller, and M. Blasini, “Evaluation of a protocol for transscleral neodymium:YAG cyclophotocoagulation in one hundred patients,” Ophthalmology, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 910–917, 1990.
- J. McAllister and C. O'Brien, “Neodymium:YAG transscleral cyclocoagulation: a clinical study,” Eye, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 651–656, 1990.
- M. B. Shields, M. Blasini, R. Simmons, and P. J. Erickson, “A contact lens for transscleral Nd:YAG cyclophotocoagulation,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 457–458, 1989.
- R. Brancato, G. Leoni, G. Trabucchi, and A. Cappellini, “Histopathology of continuous wave neodymium: yttrium aluminum garnet and diode laser contact transscleral lesions in rabbit ciliary body: a comparative study,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1586–1592, 1991.
- J. S. Schuman, C. A. Puliafito, R. R. Allingham et al., “Contact transscleral continuous wave neodymium:YAG laser cyclophotocoagulation,” Ophthalmology, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 571–580, 1990.
- G. A. Peyman, K. S. Naguib, and D. Gaasterland, “Transscleral application of a semiconductor diode laser,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 569–575, 1990.
- E. I. Assia, H. L. Hennis, W. C. Stewart, U. F. C. Legler, A. N. Carlson, and D. J. Apple, “A comparison of neodymium: yttrium aluminum garnet and diode laser transscleral cyclophotocoagulation and cyclocryotherapy,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 2774–2778, 1991.
- P. A. Bloom, J. C. Tsai, K. Sharma et al., “‘Cyclodiode’: trans-scleral diode laser cyclophotocoagulation in the treatment of advanced refractory glaucoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 104, no. 9, pp. 1508–1519, 1997.
- B. N. Noureddin, N. Wilson-Holt, M. Lavin, M. Jeffrey, and R. A. Hitchings, “Advanced uncontrolled glaucoma. Nd:YAG cyclophotocoagulation or tube surgery,” Ophthalmology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 430–436, 1993.
- D. S. Minckler and M. B. Lee, “Discussion,” Ophthalmology, vol. 99, p. 437, 1992, Comment on: Ophthalmology, vol. 99, pp. 430–436, 1992.
- R. W. D. Bell, N. E. Habib, and C. O'Brien, “Long-term results and complications after trabeculectomy with a single per-operative application of 5-fluorouracil,” Eye, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 663–671, 1997.
- K. Mochizuki, S. Jikihara, Y. Ando, N. Hori, T. Yamamoto, and Y. Kitazawa, “Incidence of delayed onset infection after trabeculectomy with adjunctive mitomycin C or 5-fluorouracil treatment,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 877–883, 1997.
- D. S. Greenfidd, J. M. Liebmann, J. Jee, and R. Ritch, “Late-onset bleb leaks after glaucoma filtering surgery,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 443–447, 1998.
- J. Biswas and R. Fogla, “Sympathetic ophthalmia following cyclocryotherapy with histopathologic correlation,” Ophthalmic Surgery and Lasers, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1035–1038, 1996.
- T. J. Harrison, “Sympathetic ophthalmia after cyclocryotherapy of neovascular glaucoma without ocular penetration,” Ophthalmic Surgery, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 44–46, 1993.
- A. L. Coleman, R. Hill, M. R. Wilson et al., “Initial clinical experience with the Ahmed Glaucoma Valve implant,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 1995.
- J. S. Schuman, A. R. Bellows, B. J. Shingleton et al., “Contact transscleral Nd:YAG laser cyclophotocoagulation: midterm results,” Ophthalmology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1089–1095, 1992.
- T. Krupin, P. Kaufman, and A. Mandell, “Filtering valve implant surgery for eyes with neovascular glaucoma,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 338–343, 1980.
- J. Caprioli, S. L. Strang, G. L. Spaeth, and E. H. Poryzees, “Cyclocryotherapy in the treatment of advanced glaucoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 947–954, 1985.
- O. Kosoko, D. E. Gaasterland, I. P. Pollack, and C. L. Enger, “Long-term outcome of initial ciliary ablation with contact diode laser transscleral cyclophotocoagulation for severe glaucoma,” Ophthalmology, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 1294–1299, 1996.
- N. Yildirim, I. S. Yalvac, A. Sahin, A. Ozer, and T. Bozca, “A comparative study between diode laser cyclophotocoagulation and the Ahmed glaucoma valve implant in neovascular glaucoma: a long-term follow-up,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 192–196, 2009.
- K. V. Chalam, S. Gandham, S. Gupta, B. J. Tripathi, and R. C. Tripathi, “Pars plana modified Baerveldt implant versus neodymium:YAG cyclophotocoagulation in the management of neovascular glaucoma,” Ophthalmic Surgery and Lasers, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 383–393, 2002.
- M. F. Smith, M. B. Sherwood, and S. P. McGorray, “Comparison of the double-plate Molteno drainage implant with the Schocket procedure,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 1246–1250, 1992.
- A. P. Rotchford, R. Jayasawal, S. Madhusudhan, S. Ho, A. J. King, and S. A. Vernon, “Transscleral diode laser cycloablation in patients with good vision,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1180–1183, 2010.