- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 374063, 10 pages
Cadmium-Induced Upregulation of Lipid Peroxidation and Reactive Oxygen Species Caused Physiological, Biochemical, and Ultrastructural Changes in Upland Cotton Seedlings
1Institute of Crop Science, College of Agriculture and Biotechnology, Zhejiang University, Zijingang Campus, Hangzhou, China
2Department of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Kohat University of Science and Technology, Kohat 26000, Pakistan
Received 29 August 2013; Accepted 28 October 2013
Academic Editor: Qaisar Mahmood
Copyright © 2013 Muhammad Daud Khan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. K. Daud, S. Ali, M. T. Variath, et al., “Differential physiological, ultramorphological and metabolic responses of cotton cultivars under cadmium stress,” Chemosphere, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 2593–2602, 2013.
- M. D. Groppa, M. P. Ianuzzo, E. P. Rosales, S. C. Vázquez, and M. P. Benavides, “Cadmium modulates NADPH oxidase activity and expression in sunflower leaves,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 167–171, 2012.
- S. S. Gill and N. Tuteja, “Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant machinery in abiotic stress tolerance in crop plants,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 909–930, 2010.
- M. K. Daud, Y. Sun, M. Dawood et al., “Cadmium-induced functional and ultrastructural alterations in roots of two transgenic cotton cultivars,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 463–473, 2009.
- P. Aravind and M. N. V. Prasad, “Cadmium-Zinc interactions in a hydroponic system using Ceratophyllum demersum L.: adaptive ecophysiology, biochemistry and molecular toxicology,” Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2005.
- M. K. Daud, M. T. Variath, S. Ali et al., “Cadmium-induced ultramorphological and physiological changes in leaves of two transgenic cotton cultivars and their wild relative,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 168, no. 2-3, pp. 614–625, 2009.
- M. Wójcik and A. Tukiendorf, “Cadmium uptake, localization and detoxification in Zea mays,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 237–245, 2005.
- D. E. R. Meyers, P. M. Kopittke, G. J. Auchterlonie, and R. I. Webb, “Characterization of lead precipitate following uptake by roots of Brassica juncea,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2250–2254, 2009.
- G. Lannig, A. S. Cherkasov, and I. M. Sokolova, “Temperature-dependent effects of cadmium on mitochondrial and whole-organism bioenergetics of oysters (Crassostrea virginica),” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. S79–S82, 2006.
- A. Kumar, M. N. V. Prasad, M. M. V. V. Achary, et al., “Elucidation of lead-induced oxidative stress in Talinum triangulare roots by analysis of antioxidant responses and DNA damage at cellular level,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 20, pp. 4551–4561, 2012.
- X. Jin, X. Yang, E. Islam, D. Liu, and Q. Mahmood, “Effects of cadmium on ultrastructure and antioxidative defense system in hyperaccumulator and non-hyperaccumulator ecotypes of Sedum alfredii Hance,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 156, no. 1–3, pp. 387–397, 2008.
- C. H. Foyer and G. Noctor, “Managing the cellular redox hub in photosynthetic organisms,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 199–201, 2012.
- M. N. Dos Santos Utmazian, G. Wieshammer, R. Vega, and W. W. Wenzel, “Hydroponic screening for metal resistance and accumulation of cadmium and zinc in twenty clones of willows and poplars,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 155–165, 2007.
- G. J. Ahammed, S. P. Choudhary, S. Chen, et al., “Role of brassinosteroids in alleviation of phenanthrene-cadmium co-contamination-induced photosynthetic inhibition and oxidative stress in tomato,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 63, pp. 695–709, 2012.
- W. Bilger and O. Björkman, “Role of the xanthophyll cycle in photoprotection elucidated by measurements of light-induced absorbance changes, fluorescence and photosynthesis in leaves of Hedera canariensis,” Photosynthesis Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 173–185, 1990.
- B. Ali, Q. Tao, Y. Zhou, et al., “5-Aminolevolinic acid mitigates the cadmium-induced changes in Brassica napus as revealed by the biochemical and ultra-structural evaluation of roots,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 92, pp. 271–280, 2013.
- A. Metwally, V. I. Safronova, A. A. Belimov, and K.-J. Dietz, “Genotypic variation of the response to cadmium toxicity in Pisum sativum L.,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 56, no. 409, pp. 167–178, 2005.
- U. Najeeb, G. Jilani, S. Ali, M. Sarwar, L. Xu, and W. Zhou, “Insights into cadmium induced physiological and ultra-structural disorders in Juncus effusus L. and its remediation through exogenous citric acid,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 186, no. 1, pp. 565–574, 2011.
- S. S. Gill, N. A. Khan, and N. Tuteja, “Differential cadmium stress tolerance in five indian mustard (Brassica juncea L) cultivars: an evaluation of the role of antioxidant machinery,” Plant Signaling and Behavior, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 293–300, 2011.
- L. M. Sandalio, H. C. Dalurzo, M. Gómez, M. C. Romero-Puertas, and L. A. Del Río, “Cadmium-induced changes in the growth and oxidative metabolism of pea plants,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 52, no. 364, pp. 2115–2126, 2001.
- I. Ramos, E. Esteban, J. J. Lucena, and A. Gárate, “Cadmium uptake and subcellular distribution in plants of Lactuca sp. Cd-Mn interaction,” Plant Science, vol. 162, no. 5, pp. 761–767, 2002.
- B. Ali, C. R. Huang, Z. Y. Qi, et al., “5-Aminolevulinic acid ameliorates cadmium-induced morphological, biochemical, and ultrastructural changes in seedlings of oilseed rape,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 7256–7267, 2013.
- M. Dawood, F. Cao, M. M. Jahangir, G. Zhang, and F. Wu, “Alleviation of aluminum toxicity by hydrogen sulfide is related to elevated ATPase, and suppressed aluminum uptake and oxidative stress in barley,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 209-210, pp. 121–128, 2012.
- F. A. Bazzaz, G. L. Rolfe, and R. W. Carlson, “Effect of Cd on photosynthesis and transpiration of excised leaves of corn and sunflower,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 373–377, 1974.
- M. K. Joshi and P. Mohanty, “Chlorophyll A fluorescence as a probe of heavy metal ion toxicity in plants,” in Chlorophyll A Fluorescence: Advances in Photosynthesis and Respiration, vol. 19, pp. 637–661, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2004.
- Á. Solti, L. Gáspár, I. Mészáros, Z. Szigeti, L. Lévai, and É. Sárvári, “Impact of iron supply on the kinetics of recovery of photosynthesis in Cd-stressed poplar (Populus glauca),” Annals of Botany, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 771–782, 2008.
- A. Vassilev, T. Tsonev, and I. Yordanov, “Physiological response of barley plants (Hordeum vulgare) to cadmium contamination in soil during ontogenesis,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 103, no. 2-3, pp. 287–293, 1998.
- N. A. Khan, N. A. Anjum, R. Nazar, et al., “Increased activity of ATP-sulfurylase and increased contents of cysteine and glutathione reduce high cadmium-induced oxidative stress in mustard cultivar with high photosynthetic potential,” Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 5, pp. 670–677, 2009.
- G. Dražić, N. Mihailović, and Z. Stojanović, “Cadmium toxicity: the effect on macro- and micro-nutrient contents in soybean seedlings,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 605–607, 2004.
- M. Gussarsson, H. Asp, S. Adalsteinsson, and P. Jensén, “Enhancement of cadmium effects on growth and nutrient composition of birch (Betula pendula) by buthionine sulphoximine (BSO),” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 47, no. 295, pp. 211–215, 1996.
- A. Ros Barceló, “Lignification in plant cell walls,” International Review of Cytology, vol. 176, pp. 87–132, 1997.
- A. Jalil, F. Selles, and J. M. Clarke, “Effect of cadmium on growth and the uptake of cadmium and other elements by durum wheat,” Journal of Plant Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1839–1858, 1994.
- Y.-Z. Huang, K. Wei, J. Yang, F. Dai, and G.-P. Zhang, “Interaction of salinity and cadmium stresses on mineral nutrients, sodium, and cadmium accumulation in four barley genotypes,” Journal of Zhejiang University Science B, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 476–485, 2007.
- Y. Li, S. Zhang, W. Jiang, et al., “Cadmium accumulation, activities of antioxidant enzymes, and malondialdehyde (MDA) content in Pistia stratiotes L.,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, vol. 20, pp. 1117–1123, 2013.
- X. Tian and Y. Lei, “Nitric oxide treatment alleviates drought stress in wheat seedlings,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 775–778, 2006.
- S. K. Panda, I. Chaudhury, and M. H. Khan, “Heavy metals induce lipid peroxidation and affect antioxidants in wheat leaves,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 289–294, 2003.
- A. Masood, N. Iqbal, and N. A. Khan, “Role of ethylene in alleviation of cadmium-induced photosynthetic capacity inhibition by sulphur in mustard,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 524–533, 2012.
- M. Mobin and N. A. Khan, “Photosynthetic activity, pigment composition and antioxidative response of two mustard (Brassica juncea) cultivars differing in photosynthetic capacity subjected to cadmium stress,” Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 601–610, 2007.
- H. Küpper, E. Lombi, F.-J. Zhao, and S. P. McGrath, “Cellular compartmentation of cadmium and zinc in relation to other elements in the hyperaccumulator Arabidopsis halleri,” Planta, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 75–84, 2000.
- D. Liu and I. Kottke, “Subcellular localization of cadmium in the root cells of Allium cepa by electron energy loss spectroscopy and cytochemistry,” Journal of Biosciences, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 329–335, 2004.
- L. Zheng, T. Peer, V. Seybold, and U. Lütz-Meindl, “Pb-induced ultrastructural alterations and subcellular localization of Pb in two species of Lespedeza by TEM-coupled electron energy loss spectroscopy,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 77, pp. 196–206, 2012.