- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 374950, 7 pages
Hippuric Acid as a Significant Regulator of Supersaturation in Calcium Oxalate Lithiasis: The Physiological Evidence
1Department of Clinical Laboratory and Clinical Immunology, Medical University, “G. Sofiisky” Boulevard 1, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
2Institute of Physical Chemistry, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 7 September 2013; Accepted 8 September 2013
Academic Editor: Seiichi Saito
Copyright © 2013 Stoyanka S. Atanassova and Ivan S. Gutzow. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ramello, C. Vitale, and M. Marangella, “Epidemiology of nephrolithiasis,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 3, supplement, pp. S45–S50, 2000.
- M. Amato, M. L. Lusini, and F. Nelli, “Epidemiology of nephrolithiasis today,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2004.
- A. Trinchieri, C. Castelnuovo, R. Lizzano, and G. Zanetti, “Calcium stone disease: a multiform reality,” Urological Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 194–198, 2005.
- F. Grases, A. Costa-Bauza, and R. M. Prieto, “Renal lithiasis and nutrition,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 5, no. 1, article 23, 2006.
- C. Y. C. Pak, “Hypercalciuric calcium nephrolithiasis,” in Urolithiasis: A Medical and Surgical Reference, M. I. Resnick and C. Y. C. Pak, Eds., pp. 79–88, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1990.
- J. M. Baumann, B. Affolter, U. Caprez, and U. Henze, “Calcium oxalate aggregation in whole urine, new aspects of calcium stone formation and metaphylaxis,” European Urology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 421–425, 2003.
- R. G. Hahn and M. Sikk, “Glycine loading and urinary oxalate excretion,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 14–16, 1994.
- N. Fituri, N. Allawi, M. Bentley, and J. Costello, “Urinary and plasma oxalate during ingestion of pure ascorbic acid: a re-evaluation,” European Urology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 312–315, 1983.
- A. W. Williams and D. M. Wilson, “Dietary intake, absorption, metabolism, and excretion of oxalate,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 1990.
- J. N. Lange, K. D. Wood, J. Knight, D. G. Assimos, and R. P. Holmes, “Glyoxal formation and its role in endogenous oxalate synthesis,” Advances in Urology, vol. 81, pp. 9202–9205, 2012.
- I. F. Ghalayini, M. A. Al-Ghazo, and M. N. A. Harfeil, “Prophylaxis and therapeutic effects of Raspberry (Rubus idaeus) on renal stone formation in Balb/c mice,” International Brazilian Journal of Urology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 259–266, 2011.
- L. P. Amsel and G. Levy, “Drug biotransformation interactions in man—II. A pharmacokinetic study of the simultaneous conjugation of benzoic and salicylic acids with glycine,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 321–326, 1969.
- L. D. Pagnotto and L. M. Lieberman, “Urinary hippuric acid excretion as an index of toluene exposure,” American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 1967.
- A. Quick, “The conjugation of benzoic acid in man,” Journal Biological Chemistry, vol. 92, pp. 65–68, 1931.
- I. Gutzow, S. Atanassova, and G. Budevsky, “Kinetics of dissolution of calcium oxalate calculi in physiological solutions containing hippuric acid,” Crystal Research & Technology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 533–554, 1991.
- I. Gutzow, S. Atanassova, G. Budevsky, and K. Neykov, “Solubility, inhibited growth and dissolution kinetics of calcium oxalate crystals in solutions, containing hippuric acid,” Urological Research, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 181–185, 1993.
- N. Boshev, “The biological constants in humans,” in Medicine i Fizkultura, pp. 387–406, State Publishing House, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1986.
- C. F. van Sumere, H. Teuchy, H. Pé, R. Verbeke, and J. Bekaert, “Quantitative investigation on the hippuric acid formation in healthy and diseased individuals,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 85–88, 1969.
- G. Hammarsten, “On calcium oxalate and its solubility in the presence of inorganic salts with special reference to the occurrence of oxaluria,” Comptes-Rendus des Travaux du Laboratoire Carlsberg, vol. 17, p. 1, 1921.
- P. Leskovar, “Methoden und techniken zum erfassen der kristalle in wassrigen losungen, unter besonderer berucksichtigung der problemstellugen in der harnsteinforschung,” Aktuell Nephrologie, vol. 12, pp. 149–175, 1979.
- R. H. Doremus, S. Teich, and P. X. Silvis, “Crystallization of calcium oxalate from synthetic urine,” Investigative Urology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 469–472, 1978.
- W. G. Robertson, M. Peacock, and B. E. Nordin, “Activity products in stone-forming and non-stone-forming urine,” Clinical Science, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 579–594, 1968.
- W. C. Thomas Jr., H. Marjorie, H. Malagodi, and O. M. Rennert, “Urinary excretion of amino acids by subjects with renal calculi,” in Urolithiasis. Clinical and Basic Research, L. H. Smith, W. G. Robertson, and B. Finlayson, Eds., pp. 77–80, Plenum Press, London, UK, 1981.
- O. Budevsky, Foundation of Chemical Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- H. J. Binder, “Intestinal oxalate absorption,” Gastroenterology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 441–446, 1974.
- M. Menon and C. J. Mahle, “Oxalate metabolism and renal caculi,” Journal of Urology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 148–151, 1982.
- M. Sugita, H. Aikawa, K. Suzuki et al., “Urinary hippuric acid excretion in everyday life,” Tokai Journal of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, vol. 13, no. 4-5, pp. 185–190, 1988.
- R. L. Gambardella and K. E. Richardson, “The pathways of oxalate formation from phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan and ascorbic acid in the rat,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 499, no. 1, pp. 156–168, 1977.
- V. Y. A. Kraevsky, Atlas of Microscopic Precipitates in Urine, Medicine Publishers, Moscow, Russia, 1976, (Russian).
- M. Allison, H. M. Cook, and D. B. Milne, “Oxalate degradation by gastrointestinal bacteria from humans,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 455–460, 1986.
- J. Hamilton-Miler, “Letters,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, p. 588, 1994.
- I. Gutzow, S. Atanassova, and K. Neykov, “Solubility and crystallization in biological fluids and the problems of life and health,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 1785–1792, 2002.