- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 384541, 8 pages
Hexavalent Molybdenum Reduction to Mo-Blue by a Sodium-Dodecyl-Sulfate-Degrading Klebsiella oxytoca Strain DRY14
1Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Department of Bioprocess Technology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 13 July 2013; Revised 29 October 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Chong-Jian Tang
Copyright © 2013 M. I. E. Halmi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. B. Moldes, R. Paradelo, X. Vecino et al., “Partial characterization of biosurfactant from lactobacillus pentosus and comparison with sodium dodecyl sulphate for the bioremediation of hydrocarbon contaminated soil,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 961842, 6 pages, 2013.
- M. B. H. Rahim, M. A. Syed, and M. Y. Shukor, “Isolation and characterization of an acrylamide-degrading yeast Rhodotorula sp. strain MBH23 KCTC, 11960BP,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 573–581, 2012.
- J. Cheriaa, M. Khaireddine, M. Rouabhia, and A. Bakhrouf, “Removal of triphenylmethane dyes by bacterial consortium,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, Article ID 512454, 9 pages, 2012.
- Y. N. Suhaila, M. Rosfarizan, S. A. Ahmad, I. B. Latif, and A. B. Ariff, “Nutrients and culture conditions requirements for the degradation of phenol by Rhodococcus UKMP-5M,” Journal of Environmental Biology, vol. 34, pp. 635–643, 2013.
- N. Das and P. Chandran, “Microbial degradation of petroleum hydrocarbon contaminants: an overview,” Biotechnology Research International, vol. 2011, Article ID 941810, 13 pages, 2011.
- M. Y. Shukor, W. S. W. Husin, M. F. A. Rahman, N. A. Shamaan, and M. A. Syed, “Isolation and characterization of an SDS-degrading Klebsiella oxytoca,” Journal of Environmental Biology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 129–134, 2009.
- E. M. Bautista and M. Alexander, “Reduction of inorganic compounds by soil microorganisms,” Soil Science Social of American Journal, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 918–920, 1972.
- V. E. Levine, “The reducing properties of microorganisms with special reference to selenium compounds,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 10, pp. 217–263, 1925.
- A. M. Campbell, A. Del Campillo-Campbell, and D. B. Villaret, “Molybdate reduction by Escherichia coli K-12 and its chl mutants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 227–231, 1985.
- N. K. Yong, M. Oshima, R. C. Blake II, and T. Sugio, “Isolation and some properties of an iron-oxidizing bacterium Thiobacillus ferrooxidans resistant to molybdenum ion,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1523–1526, 1997.
- M. Y. Shukor, S. H. M. Habib, M. F. A. Rahman et al., “Hexavalent molybdenum reduction to molybdenum blue by S. Marcescens strain DrY6,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 33–43, 2008.
- B. Ghani, M. Takai, N. Z. Hisham et al., “Isolation and characterization of a Mo6+-reducing bacterium,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 1176–1180, 1993.
- M. Y. Shukor, N. A. Shamaan, M. A. Syed, C. H. Lee, and M. I. A. Karim, “Characterization and quantification of Mo-blue production in Enterobacter cloacae strain 48 using 12-phosphomolybdate as the reference compound,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 2000.
- M. Y. Shukor, M. A. Syed, C. H. Lee, M. I. A. Karim, and N. A. Shamaan, “A method to distinguish between chemical and enzymatic reduction of molybdenum in Enterobacter cloacae strain 48,” Malaysian Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 7, pp. 71–72, 2002.
- M. Y. Shukor, C. H. Lee, I. Omar, M. I. A. Karim, M. A. Syed, and N. A. Shamaan, “Isolation and characterization of a molybdenum-reducing enzyme in Enterobacter cloacae strain 48,” Pertanika Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 261–272, 2003.
- M. F. A. Rahman, M. Y. Shukor, Z. Suhaili, S. Mustafa, N. A. Shamaan, and M. A. Syed, “Reduction of Mo(VI) by the bacterium Serratia sp. strain DRY5,” Journal of Environmental Biology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2009.
- M. Y. Shukor, M. F. Rahman, Z. Suhaili, N. A. Shamaan, and M. A. Syed, “Bacterial reduction of hexavalent molybdenum to molybdenum blue,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1225–1234, 2009.
- M. Y. Shukor, M. F. Rahman, Z. Suhaili, N. A. Shamaan, and M. A. Syed, “Hexavalent molybdenum reduction to Mo-blue by Acinetobacter calcoaceticus,” Folia Microbiologica, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 137–143, 2010.
- M. Y. Shukor, S. A. Ahmad, M. M. M. Nadzir, M. P. Abdullah, N. A. Shamaan, and M. A. Syed, “Molybdate reduction by Pseudomonas sp. strain DRY2,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 2050–2058, 2010.
- H. K. Lim, M. A. Syed, and M. Y. Shukor, “Reduction of molybdate to molybdenum blue by Klebsiella sp. strain hkeem,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 296–305, 2012.
- C. Neunhäuserer, M. Berreck, and H. Insam, “Remediation of soils contaminated with molybdenum using soil amendments and phytoremediation,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 128, no. 1-2, pp. 85–96, 2001.
- M. Y. Shukor, M. F. A. Rahman, N. A. Shamaan, C. H. Lee, M. I. A. Karim, and M. A. Syed, “An improved enzyme assay for molybdenum-reducing activity in bacteria,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 293–300, 2008.
- M. Y. Shukor, H. Adam, K. Ithnin, I. Yunus, N. A. Shamaan, and A. Syed, “Molybdate reduction to molybdenum blue in microbe proceeds via a phosphomolybdate intermediate,” Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 1448–1452, 2007.
- A. B. Ariff, M. Rosfarizan, B. Ghani, T. Sugio, and M. I. A. Karim, “Molybdenum reductase in Enterobacter cloacae,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 643–647, 1997.
- R. K. Upreti, V. Sinha, R. Mishra, and A. Kannan, “In vitro development of resistance to arsenite and chromium-VI in Lactobacilli strains as perspective attenuation of gastrointestinal disorder,” Journal of Environmental Biology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 325–332, 2011.
- G. D. Najafpour and C. P. Shan, “Enzymatic hydrolysis of molasses,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 91–94, 2003.
- J. V. Bhide, P. K. Dhakephalkar, and K. M. Paknikar, “Microbiological process for the removal of Cr(VI) from chromate-bearing cooling tower effluent,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 667–672, 1996.
- W. Fritsche and M. Hofrichter, “Aerobic degradation by microorganisms,” in Biotechnology, a Multi-Volume Comprehensive Treatise, J. Klein, Ed., pp. 147–154, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 1999.
- A. Tripathi, R. C. Upadhyay, and S. Singh, “Mineralization of mono-nitrophenols by Bjerkandera adusta and Lentinus squarrosulus and their extracellular ligninolytic enzymes,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 635–649, 2011.
- L. Xu, M. Luo, C. Jiang et al., “In vitro reduction of hexavalent chromium by cytoplasmic fractions of Pannonibacter phragmitetus LSSE-09 under aerobic and anaerobic conditions,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 166, no. 4, pp. 933–941, 2012.
- B. Poljsak, I. Pócsi, P. Raspor, and M. Pesti, “Interference of chromium with biological systems in yeasts and fungi: a review,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 21–36, 2010.
- B. A. Wrenn, J. R. Haines, A. D. Venosa, M. Kadkhodayan, and M. T. Suidan, “Effects of nitrogen source on crude oil biodegradation,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 279–286, 1994.
- J. L. Glenn and F. L. Crane, “Studies on metalloflavoproteins. V. The action of silicomolybdate in the reduction of cytochrome c by aldehyde oxidase,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 111–115, 1956.
- J. D. Lee, Concise Inorganic Chemistry, Van Reinhold Company, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- N. V. Sidgwick, The Chemical Elements and Their Compounds, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK, 1984.
- L. S. Clesceri, A. E. Greenberg, and R. R. Trussel, Standard Methods for the Examination of Wastewater, American Public Health Association, Port City Press, Baltimore, Md, USA, 17th edition, 1989.
- D. D. Runnells, D. S. Kaback, and E. M. Thurman, “Geochemistry and sampling of molybdenum in sediments, soils, and plants in Colorado,” in Molybdenum in the Environment, W. R. Chappel and K. K. Peterson, Eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1976.
- B. Chai, Y. Wu, P. Liu, B. Liu, and M. Gao, “Isolation and phosphate-solubilizing ability of a fungus, Penicillium sp. from soil of an alum mine,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 5–14, 2011.
- R. P. A. Sims, “Formation of heteropoly blue by some reduction procedures used in the micro-determination of phosphorus,” The Analyst, vol. 86, no. 1026, pp. 584–590, 1961.
- L. P. Kazansky and M. A. Fedotov, “Phosphorus-31 and oxygen-17 N.M.R. evidence of trapped electrons in reduced 18-molybdodiphosphate(V), P2Mo18O628−,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Chemical Communications, no. 14, pp. 644–647, 1980.
- K. Yoshimura, M. Ishii, and T. Tarutani, “Micro determination of phosphate in water by gel-phase colorimetry with molybdenum blue,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 591–594, 1986.
- T. Hori, M. Sugiyama, and S. Himeno, “Direct spectrophotometric determination of sulphate ion based on the formation of a blue molybdosulphate complex,” The Analyst, vol. 113, no. 11, pp. 1639–1642, 1988.
- R. M. C. Dawson, D. C. Elliott, W. H. Elliott, and K. M. Jones, Data for Biochemical Research, Oxford University Press, London, UK, 1969.
- T. Sugio, Y. Tsujita, T. Katagiri, K. Inagaki, and T. Tano, “Reduction of Mo6+ with elemental sulfur by Thiobacillus ferrooxidans,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 170, no. 12, pp. 5956–5959, 1988.
- R. Elangovan, L. Philip, and K. Chandraraj, “Hexavalent chromium reduction by free and immobilized cell-free extract of Arthrobacter rhombi-RE,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 81–97, 2010.
- J. C. Munch and J. C. G. Ottow, “Reductive transformation mechanism of ferric oxides in hydromorphic soils,” Environmental Biogeochemistry, vol. 35, pp. 383–394, 1983.