- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 385132, 8 pages
History, Pathogenesis, and Management of Familial Gastric Cancer: Original Study of John XXIII's Family
1Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, Section of General Surgery and Surgical Oncology and Translational Research Laboratory, University of Siena, Viale Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
2Azienda Sanitaria Locale, Bergamo Province, Via alla Guardina 24039, Sotto il Monte Giovanni XXIII, Italy
3Medical Faculty of the University of Porto, st. John Hospital Center and Institute of Molecular Pathology and Immunology of the University of Porto (IPATIMUP), rua dr. Roberto Frias 4200-465 Porto, Portugal
Received 23 October 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Kathleen Claes
Copyright © 2013 Giovanni Corso et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Roviello, G. Corso, C. Pedrazzani et al., “High incidence of familial gastric cancer in Tuscany, a region in Italy,” Oncology, vol. 72, no. 3-4, pp. 243–247, 2007.
- C. Caldas, F. Carneiro, H. T. Lynch et al., “Familial gastric cancer: overview and guidelines for management,” Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 873–880, 1999.
- R. C. Fitzgerald, R. Hardwick, D. Huntsman et al., “Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: updated consensus guidelines for clinical management and directions for future research,” Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 436–444, 2010.
- G. Corso, D. Marrelli, and F. Roviello, “Familial gastric cancer: update for practice management,” Familial Cancer, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 391–396, 2011.
- B. Sokoloff, “Predisposition to cancer in the Bonaparte family,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 673–678, 1938.
- S. Graham and A. M. Lilienfeld, “Genetic studies of gastric cancer in humans: an appraisal,” Cancer, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 945–958, 1958.
- E. G. Jones, “Familial gastric cancer,” The New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 63, pp. 287–296, 1964.
- P. Guilford, J. Hopkins, J. Harraway et al., “E-cadherin germline mutations in familial gastric cancer,” Nature, vol. 392, no. 6674, pp. 402–405, 1998.
- J. M. Birch, V. Blair, A. M. Kelsey et al., “Cancer phenotype correlates with constitutional TP53 genotype in families with the Li-Fraumeni syndrome,” Oncogene, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1061–1068, 1998.
- H. T. Lynch and A. de la Chapelle, “Hereditary colorectal cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 10, pp. 919–932, 2003.
- G. Corso, C. Pedrazzani, D. Marrelli, E. Pinto, and F. Roviello, “Familial gastric cancer and Li-Fraumeni syndrome,” European Journal of Cancer Care, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 377–381, 2010.
- G. Corso, C. Pedrazzani, H. Pinheiro et al., “E-cadherin genetic screening and clinico-pathologic characteristics of early onset gastric cancer,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 631–639, 2011.
- I. Kluijt, R. H. Sijmons, N. Hoogerbrugge, et al., “Familial gastric cancer: guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and periodic surveillance,” Familial Cancer, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 363–369, 2012.
- D. Palli, A. Russo, L. Ottini et al., “Red meat, family history, and increased risk of gastric cancer with microsatellite instability,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 14, pp. 5415–5419, 2001.
- S. J. Chung, M. J. Park, S. J. Kang, et al., “Effect of annual endoscopic screening on clinicopathologic characteristics and treatment modality of gastric cancer in a high-incidence region of Korea,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 131, no. 10, pp. 2376–2384, 2012.
- J. H. Nam, I. J. Choi, S. J. Cho, et al., “Association of the interval between endoscopies with gastric cancer stage at diagnosis in a region of high prevalence,” Cancer, vol. 118, no. 20, pp. 5953–4960, 2012.
- D. Shaw, V. Blair, A. Framp et al., “Chromoendoscopic surveillance in hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: an alternative to prophylactic gastrectomy?” Gut, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 461–468, 2005.
- C. Pedrazzani, G. Corso, D. Marrelli, and F. Roviello, “E-cadherin and hereditary diffuse gastric cancer,” Surgery, vol. 142, no. 5, pp. 645–657, 2007.
- C. La Vecchia, E. Negri, and S. Franceschi, “Education and cancer risk,” Cancer, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 2935–2941, 1992.
- D. Palli, M. Galli, N. E. Caporaso et al., “Family history and risk of stomach cancer in Italy,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 1994.
- P. K. Dhillon, D. C. Farrow, T. L. Vaughan et al., “Family history of cancer and risk of esophageal and gastric cancers in the United States,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 148–152, 2001.
- Y. Minami and H. Tateno, “Associations between cigarette smoking and the risk of four leading cancers in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan: a multi-site case-control study,” Cancer Science, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 540–547, 2003.
- K. Eto, S. Ohyama, T. Yamaguchi et al., “Familial clustering in subgroups of gastric cancer stratified by histology, age group and location,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 743–748, 2006.
- S. H. Hong, J. W. Kim, H. G. Kim et al., “Glutathione S-transferases (GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1) and N-acetyltransferase 2 polymorphisms and the risk of gastric cancer,” Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 135–140, 2006.
- M. A. García-González, A. Lanas, E. Quintero, et al., “Gastric cancer susceptibility is not linked to pro-and anti-inflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms in whites: a Nationwide Multicenter Study in Spain,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 9, pp. 1878–1892, 2007.
- R. Foschi, E. Lucenteforte, C. Bosetti et al., “Family history of cancer and stomach cancer risk,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 1429–1432, 2008.
- M. Yaghoobi, R. Bijarchi, and S. A. Narod, “Family history and the risk of gastric cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 237–242, 2010.
- T. Bakir, G. Can, C. Siviloglu, and S. Erkul, “Gastric cancer and other organ cancer history in the parents of patients with gastric cancer,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 183–189, 2003.
- M. Bernini, S. Barbi, F. Roviello et al., “Family history of gastric cancer: a correlation between epidemiologic findings and clinical data,” Gastric Cancer, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 2006.
- M. Dinis-Ribeiro, M. Areia, A. C. de Vries, et al., “Management of precancerous conditions and lesions in the stomach (MAPS): guideline from the European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE), European Helicobacter Study Group (EHSG), European Society of Pathology (ESP), and the Sociedade Portuguesa de Endoscopia Digestiva (SPED),” Virchows Archiv, vol. 460, no. 1, pp. 19–46, 2012.
- W. K. Hirota, M. J. Zuckerman, D. G. Adler et al., “ASGE guideline: the role of endoscopy in the surveillance of premalignant conditions of the upper GI tract,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 570–580, 2006.
- F. Roviello, S. Rossi, D. Marrelli et al., “Perforated gastric carcinoma: a report of 10 cases and review of the literature,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, p. 19, 2006.