- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 385641, 6 pages
Current Aspects in the Pathophysiology and Treatment of Chronic Wounds in Diabetes Mellitus
1Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Diseases, Department of Medicine III, Technical University Medical Center,
01307 Dresden, Germany
2Endokrinologikum Ruhr, 44866 Bochum, Germany
Received 28 October 2012; Accepted 6 March 2013
Academic Editor: David G. Armstrong
Copyright © 2013 Elena Tsourdi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Singh, D. G. Armstrong, and B. A. Lipsky, “Preventing foot ulcers in patients with diabetes,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. 217–228, 2005.
- D. J. Margolis, L. Allen-Taylor, O. Hoffstad, and J. A. Berlin, “Diabetic neuropathic foot ulcers and amputation,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 230–236, 2005.
- T. K. Hunt, “Basic principles of wound healing,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 30, no. 12, supplement 1, pp. S122–S128, 1990.
- S. Werner and R. Grose, “Regulation of wound healing by growth factors and cytokines,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 835–870, 2003.
- F. W. LoGerfo and J. D. Coffman, “Vascular and microvascular disease of the foot in diabetes. Implications for foot care,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 311, no. 25, pp. 1615–1619, 1984.
- M. D. Flynn and J. E. Tooke, “Aetiology of diabetic foot ulceration: a role for the microcirculation?” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 320–329, 1992.
- P. J. Hennessey, E. G. Ford, C. T. Black, and R. J. Andrassy, “Wound collagenase activity correlates directly with collagen glycosylation in diabetic rats,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 75–78, 1990.
- N. Spravchikov, G. Sizyakov, M. Gartsbein, D. Accili, T. Tennenbaum, and E. Wertheimer, “Glucose effects on skin keratinocytes: implications for diabetes skin complications,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 1627–1635, 2001.
- M. Markuson, D. Hanson, J. Anderson et al., “The relationship between hemoglobin A(1c) values and healing time for lower extremity ulcers in individuals with diabetes,” Advances in Skin & Wound Care, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 365–372, 2009.
- W. Marhoffer, M. Stein, E. Maeser, and K. Federlin, “Impairment of polymorphonuclear leukocyte function and metabolic control of diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 256–260, 1992.
- A. L. McMurtry, K. Cho, L. J. T. Young, C. F. Nelson, and D. G. Greenhalgh, “Expression of HSP70 in healing wounds of diabetic and nondiabetic mice,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 1999.
- T. J. Fahey, A. Sadaty, W. G. Jones, A. Barber, B. Smoller, and G. T. Shires, “Diabetes impairs the late inflammatory response to wound healing,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 308–313, 1991.
- E. B. Jude, R. Blakytny, J. Bulmer, A. J. M. Boulton, and M. W. J. Ferguson, “Transforming growth factor-beta 1, 2, 3 and receptor type I and II in diabetic foot ulcers,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 440–447, 2002.
- V. Falanga and W. H. Eaglstein, “The “trap” hypothesis of venous ulceration,” The Lancet, vol. 341, no. 8851, pp. 1006–1008, 1993.
- W. C. Duckworth, J. Fawcett, S. Reddy, and J. C. Page, “Insulin-degrading activity in wound fluid,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 847–851, 2004.
- M. Vaalamo, T. Leivo, and U. Saarialho-Kere, “Differential expression of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMP-1, -2, -3, and -4) in normal and aberrant wound healing,” Human Pathology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 795–802, 1999.
- V.-M. Kähari and W. K. Saariahlo-Kere, “Matrix metalloproteinases in skin,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 199–213, 1997.
- A. B. Wysocki, L. Staiano-Coico, and F. Grinnell, “Wound fluid from chronic leg ulcers contains elevated levels of metalloproteinases MMP-2 and MMP-9,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 64–68, 1993.
- R. Lobmann, A. Ambrosch, G. Schultz, K. Waldmann, S. Schiweck, and H. Lehnert, “Expression of matrix-metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the wounds of diabetic and non-diabetic patients,” Diabetologia, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1011–1016, 2002.
- A. Stanley and T. Osler, “Senescence and the healing rates of venous ulcers,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1206–1211, 2001.
- F. L. Game, R. J. Hinchliffe, J. Apelqvist et al., “A systematic review to enhance the healing of chronic ulcers of the foot in diabetes,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 28, supplement 1, pp. 119–141, 2012.
- K. A. Gordon, E. A. Lebrun, M. Tomic-Canic, and R. S. Kirsner, “The role of surgical debridement in healing of diabetic foot ulcers,” Skinmed, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 24–26, 2012.
- B. A. Lipsky, E. J. Peters, E. Senneville et al., “Expert opinion on the management of infections in the diabetic foot,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 28, supplement 1, pp. 163–178, 2012.
- J. C. Dumville, S. Deshpande, S. O'Meara , and K. Speak, “Hydrocolloid dressings for healing diabetic foot ulcers,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 15, no. 2, 2012.
- S. A. Bus, “Priorities in offloading the diabetic foot,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 28, supplement 1, pp. 54–59, 2012.
- A. Andreassi, R. Bilenchi, M. Biagioli, and C. D'Aniello, “Classification and pathophysiology of skin grafts,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 332–337, 2005.
- G. P. Jolly, T. Zgonis, and P. Blume, “Soft tissue reconstruction of the diabetic foot,” Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 757–781, 2003.
- S. M. Mahmoud, A. A. Mohamed, S. E. Mahdi, and M. E. Ahmed, “Split-skin graft in the management of diabetic foot ulcers,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 303–306, 2008.
- T. Zgonis, J. J. Stapleton, and T. S. Roukis, “Advanced plastic surgery techniques for soft tissue coverage of the diabetic foot,” Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 547–568, 2007.
- D. Stiefel, C. Schiestl, and M. Meuli, “Integra Artificial Skin for burn scar revision in adolescents and children,” Burns, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 114–120, 2010.
- W. A. Marston, J. Hanft, P. Norwood, and R. Pollak, “The efficacy and safety of Dermagraft in improving the healing of chronic diabetic foot ulcers: results of a prospective randomized trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1701–1705, 2003.
- A. Veves, V. Falanga, D. G. Armstrong, and M. L. Sabolinski, “Graftskin, a human skin equivalent, is effective in the management of noninfected neuropathic diabetic foot ulcers: a prospective randomized multicenter clinical trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 290–295, 2001.
- H. Brem and M. Tomic-Canic, “Cellular and molecular basis of wound healing in diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1219–1222, 2007.
- Z. J. Liu and O. C. Velazquez, “Hyperoxia, endothelial progenitor cell mobilization, and diabetic wound healing,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1869–1882, 2008.
- P. Fiorina, G. Pietramaggiori, S. S. Scherer et al., “The mobilization and effect of endogenous bone marrow progenitor cells in diabetic wound healing,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1369–1381, 2010.
- E. V. Badiavas and V. Falanga, “Treatment of chronic wounds with bone marrow-derived cells,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 510–516, 2003.
- K. A. Gallagher, Z. J. Liu, M. Xiao et al., “Diabetic impairments in NO-mediated endothelial progenitor cell mobilization and homing are reversed by hyperoxia and SDF-1α,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1249–1259, 2007.
- C. Coraux, C. Hilmi, M. Rouleau et al., “Reconstituted skin from murine embryonic stem cells,” Current Biology, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 849–853, 2003.
- C. Bagutti, C. Hutter, R. Chiquet-Ehrismann, R. Fässler, and F. M. Watt, “Dermal fibroblast-derived growth factors restore the ability of β1 integrin-deficient embryonal stem cells to differentiate into keratinocytes,” Developmental Biology, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 321–333, 2001.
- C. K. Kaufman, P. Zhou, H. A. Pasolli et al., “GATA-3: an unexpected regulator of cell lineage determination in skin,” Genes and Development, vol. 17, no. 17, pp. 2108–2122, 2003.
- P. A. Conget and J. J. Minguell, “Adenoviral-mediated gene transfer into ex vivo expanded human bone marrow mesenchymal progenitor cells,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 382–390, 2000.
- T. J. Wieman, J. M. Smiell, and Y. Su, “Efficacy and safety of a topical gel formulation of recombinant human platelet-derived growth factor-BB (becaplermin) in patients with chronic neuropathic diabetic ulcers: a phase III randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 822–827, 1998.
- N. Papanas and E. Maltezos, “Benefit-risk assessment of becaplermin in the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers,” Drug Safety, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 455–461, 2010.
- M. T. Eginton, K. R. Brown, G. R. Seabrook, J. B. Towne, and R. A. Cambria, “A prospective randomized evaluation of negative-pressure wound dressing for diabetic foot wounds,” Annals of Vascular Surgery, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 645–649, 2003.
- D. G. Armstrong and L. A. Lavery, “Negative pressure wound therapy after partial diabetic foot amputation: a multicentre, randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9498, pp. 1704–1710, 2005.
- F. Gottrup and J. Apelqvist, “Present and new techniques and devices in the treatment of DFU: a critical review of evidence,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 28, supplement 1, pp. 64–71, 2012.
- A. Akbari, H. Moodi, F. Ghiasi, H. M. Sagheb, and H. Rashidi, “Effects of vacuum-compression therapy on healing of diabetic foot ulcers: randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 631–636, 2007.
- M. Mars, Y. Desai, and M. A. Gregory, “Compressed air massage hastens healing of the diabetic foot,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2008.
- D. T. Ubbink, S. J. Westerbos, D. Evans, L. Land, and H. Vermeulen, “Topical negative pressure for treating chronic wounds,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, 2008.