- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 386063, 14 pages
Lignocellulosic Fermentation of Wild Grass Employing Recombinant Hydrolytic Enzymes and Fermentative Microbes with Effective Bioethanol Recovery
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam 781039, India
Received 2 April 2013; Accepted 4 August 2013
Academic Editor: Chiu-Chung Young
Copyright © 2013 Saprativ P. Das et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. D. Oliveira, E. J. Rykiel Jr., and M. E. Vaughan, “Ethanol as fuel: energy, carbon dioxide balances, and ecological footprint,” BioScience, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 593–602, 2005.
- Y. Sun and J. Cheng, “Hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials for ethanol production: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2002.
- P. Kumar, D. M. Barrett, M. J. Delwiche, and P. Stroeve, “Methods for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass for efficient hydrolysis and biofuel production,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 3713–3729, 2009.
- M. Schulein, “Cellulases of Trichoderma reesei,” in Methods in Enzymology, W. A. Wood and J. N. Abelson, Eds., vol. 160, pp. 234–242, 1988.
- C. M. G. A. Fontes and H. J. Gilbert, “Cellulosomes: highly efficient nanomachines designed to deconstruct plant cell wall complex carbohydrates,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 79, pp. 655–681, 2010.
- R. Mutreja, D. Das, D. Goyal, and A. Goyal, “Bioconversion of agricultural waste to ethanol by SSF using recombinant cellulase from Clostridium thermocellum,” Enzyme Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 340279, 6 pages, 2011.
- R. L. Howard, E. Abotsi, E. L. J. Van Rensburg, and S. Howard, “Lignocellulose biotechnology: issues of bioconversion and enzyme production,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 702–733, 2003.
- R. K. Sukumaran, R. R. Singhania, G. M. Mathew, and A. Pandey, “Cellulase production using biomass feed stock and its application in lignocellulose saccharification for bio-ethanol production,” Renewable Energy, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 421–424, 2009.
- A. Pandey, C. R. Soccol, P. Nigam, and V. T. Soccol, “Biotechnological potential of agro-industrial residues. I: sugarcane bagasse,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 69–80, 2000.
- H. Das and S. K. Singh, “Useful by-products from cellulosic wastes of agriculture and food industry—a critical appraisal,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 77–89, 2004.
- K. L. Kadam and S. L. Schmidt, “Evaluation of Candida acidothermophilum in ethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 709–713, 1997.
- E. Palmqvist, B. Hahn-Hägerdal, M. Galbe et al., “Design and operation of a bench-scale process development unit for the production of ethanol from lignocellulosics,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 171–179, 1996.
- S. Bharali, R. K. Purama, A. Majumder, C. M. G. A. Fontes, and A. Goyal, “Molecular cloning and biochemical properties of family 5 glycoside hydrolase of bi-functional cellulase from Clostridium thermocellum,” Indian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 317–321, 2005.
- E. J. Taylor, A. Goyal, C. I. P. D. Guerreiro et al., “How family 26 glycoside hydrolases orchestrate catalysis on different polysaccharides: structure and activity of a Clostridium thermocellum lichenase, CtLic26A,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 38, pp. 32761–32767, 2005.
- J. Sambrook, E. F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, USA, 1989.
- S. P. Das, R. Ravindran, S. Ahmed et al., “Bioethanol production involving recombinant C. thermocellum hydrolytic hemicellulase and fermentative microbes,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1475–1488, 2012.
- L. J. Wickerman, “Taxonomy of yeasts,” US Department of Agriculture Technical Bulletin no. 1029, Washington, DC, USA, 1951.
- N. Nelson, “A photometric adaptation of the Somogyi method for the determination of glucose,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 153, pp. 375–380, 1944.
- M. Somogyi, “Determination of blood sugar,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 160, pp. 69–73, 1945.
- N. Sharma, K. L. Kalra, H. S. Oberoi, and S. Bansal, “Optimization of fermentation parameters for production of ethanol from kinnow waste and banana peels by simultaneous saccharification and fermentation,” Indian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 310–316, 2007.
- B. C. Okeke and S. K. C. Obi, “Saccharification of agro-waste materials by fungal cellulases and hemicellulases,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 1995.
- H.-B. Seo, H.-J. Kim, O.-K. Lee, J.-H. Ha, H.-Y. Lee, and K.-H. Jung, “Measurement of ethanol concentration using solvent extraction and dichromate oxidation and its application to bioethanol production process,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2009.
- A. Sluiter, B. Hames, R. Ruiz et al., “Determination of structural carbohydrates and lignin in substrates,” Tech. Rep. NREL/TP-510, Laboratory Analytical Procedure (LAP), 2008.
- M. P. Van Gool, I. Vancsó, H. A. Schols, K. Toth, G. Szakacs, and H. Gruppen, “Screening for distinct xylan degrading enzymes in complex shake flask fermentation supernatants,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 6039–6047, 2011.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- V. V. R. Bandaru, S. R. Somalanka, D. R. Mendu, N. R. Madicherla, and A. Chityala, “Optimization of fermentation conditions for the production of ethanol from sago starch by co-immobilized amyloglucosidase and cells of Zymomonas mobilis using response surface methodology,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 209–214, 2006.
- W. Johnston, R. Cord-Ruwisch, and M. J. Cooney, “Industrial control of recombinant E. coli fed-batch culture: new perspectives on traditional controlled variables,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 2002.
- H. Li, N.-J. Kim, M. Jiang, J. W. Kang, and H. N. Chang, “Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of lignocellulosic residues pretreated with phosphoric acid-acetone for bioethanol production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 13, pp. 3245–3251, 2009.
- H. D. Mansilla, J. Baeza, S. Urzúa, G. Maturana, J. Villaseñor, and N. Durán, “Acid-catalysed hydrolysis of rice hull: evaluation of furfural production,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 189–193, 1998.
- A. K. Chandel, R. K. Kapoor, A. Singh, and R. C. Kuhad, “Detoxification of sugarcane bagasse hydrolysate improves ethanol production by Candida shehatae NCIM 3501,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1947–1950, 2007.
- M. Zhang, F. Wang, R. Su, W. Qi, and Z. He, “Ethanol production from high dry matter corncob using fed-batch simultaneous saccharification and fermentation after combined pretreatment,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 13, pp. 4959–4964, 2010.
- S. Sánchez, V. Bravo, E. Castro, A. J. Moya, and F. Camacho, “The influence of pH and aeration rate on the fermentation of D-xylose by Candida shehatae,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 355–360, 1997.
- K.-K. Oh, S.-W. Kim, Y.-S. Jeong, and S.-I. Hong, “Bioconversion of cellulose into ethanol by nonisothermal simultaneous saccharification and fermentation,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 15–30, 2000.
- Y. Harish Kumar Reddy, M. Srijana, D. M. Reddy, and R. Gopal, “Coculture fermentation of banana agro-waste to ethanol by cellulolytic thermophilic Clostridium thermocellum CT2,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 1926–1934, 2010.
- E. Ruiz, C. Cara, M. Ballesteros, P. Manzanares, I. Ballesteros, and E. Castro, “Ethanol production from pretreated olive tree wood and sunflower stalks by an SSF process,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 130, no. 1–3, pp. 631–643, 2006.
- M. Lever, G. Ho, and R. Cord-Ruwisch, “Ethanol from lignocellulose using crude unprocessed cellulase from solid-state fermentation,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 18, pp. 7094–7098, 2010.
- E. Sasikumar and T. Viruthagiri, “Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF) of sugarcane bagasse—kinetics and modeling,” International Journal of Chemical and Biological Engineering, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 57–64, 2010.