- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 387863, 11 pages
Release of a Wound-Healing Agent from PLGA Microspheres in a Thermosensitive Gel
1US Army Dental and Trauma Research Detachment, Institute of Surgical Research, 3650 Chambers Pass, Building 3610, JBSA Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-6315, USA
2Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Received 13 May 2013; Revised 15 August 2013; Accepted 16 August 2013
Academic Editor: Frederic Lagarce
Copyright © 2013 H. A. Machado et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. K. Murray, “Infectious disease complications of combat-related injuries,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. S358–S364, 2008.
- J. B. Peravali, S. R. Kotra, K. Sobha, R. Nelson, K. V. Rajesh, and K. K. Pulicherla, “Antimicrobial peptides, an effective alternative for antibiotic therapy,” Mintage Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- D. H. Na, J. Faraj, Y. Capan, K. P. Leung, and P. P. DeLuca, “Stability of antimicrobial decapeptide (KSL) and its analogues for delivery in the oral cavity,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1544–1550, 2007.
- J. A. Faraj, R. Dorati, A. Schoubben et al., “Development of a peptide-containing chewing gum as a sustained release antiplaque antimicrobial delivery system,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 8, no. 1, article 26, 2007.
- S. H. Marshall and G. Arenas, “Antimicrobial peptides: a natural alternative to chemical antibiotics andapotential for applied biotechnology,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 271–284, 2003.
- R. L. Williams, H. Y. Sroussi, J. J. Abercrombie, K. Leung, and P. T. Marucha, “Synthetic decapeptide reduces bacterial load and accelerates healing in the wounds of restraint-stressed mice,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 588–596, 2012.
- H. K. Makadia and S. J. Siegel, “Poly Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid (PLGA) as biodegradable controlled drug delivery carrier,” Polymers, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1377–1397, 2011.
- S. B. Murty, Q. Wei, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “In vivo release kinetics of octreotide acetate from experimental polymeric microsphere formulations using oil/water and oil/oil processes,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 90–99, 2004.
- K. R. Chaudhari, N. Shah, H. Patel, and R. Murthy, “Preparation of porous PLGA microspheres with thermoreversible gel to modulate drug release profile of water-soluble drug: bleomycin sulphate,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 303–313, 2010.
- R. C. Mehta, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “Peptide containing microspheres from low molecular weight and hydrophilic poly(d,1-lactide-co-glycolide),” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 249–257, 1996.
- H. R. Patel, R. P. Patel, and M. M. Patel, “Poloxamers: a pharmaceutical excipients with therapeutic behaviors,” International Journal of PharmTech Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 299–303, 2009.
- J. J. Escobar-Chávez, M. López-Cervantes, A. Naïk, Y. N. Kalia, D. Quintanar-Guerrero, and A. Ganem-Quintanar, “Applications of thermo-reversible pluronic F-127 gels in pharmaceutical formulations,” Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 339–358, 2006.
- B. Fussnegger, “Poloxamers (2): lutrol F127 (poloxamer 407),” BASF ExAct, vol. 4, article 7, 2000.
- Y. Yeo and K. Park, “Control of encapsulation efficiency and initial burst in polymeric microparticle systems,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2004.
- L. E. Bromberg and E. S. Ron, “Temperature-responsive gels and thermogelling polymer matrices for protein and peptide delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 197–221, 1998.
- F. Ganji and E. Vasheghani-Farahani, “Hydrogels in controlled drug delivery systems,” Iranian Polymer Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 63–88, 2009.
- G. Crotts and T. G. Park, “Preparation of porous and nonporous biodegradable polymeric hollow microspheres,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 35, no. 2-3, pp. 91–105, 1995.
- R. Alex and R. Bodmeier, “Encapsulation of water-soluble drugs by a modified solvent evaporation method. I: effect of process and formulation variables on drug entrapment,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 347–355, 1990.
- R. Jeyanthi, R. C. Mehta, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “Effect of processing parameters on the properties of peptide-containing PLGA microspheres,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 163–174, 1997.
- J. W. Kostanski, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “Preparation, characterization, and in vitro evaluation of 1- and 4-month controlled release orntide PLA and PLGA microspheres,” Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 585–596, 2000.
- K. W. Burton, M. Shameem, B. C. Thanoo, and P. P. DeLuca, “Extended release peptide delivery systems through the use of PLGA microsphere combinations,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 715–729, 2000.
- I. R. Schmolka, “Artificial skin. I. Preparation and properties of pluronic F-127 gels for treatment of burns,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 571–582, 1972.
- E.-S. A. Ibrahim, S. Ismail, G. Fetih, O. Shaaban, K. Hassanein, and N. H. Abdellah, “Development and characterization of thermosensitive pluronic-based metronidazole in situ gelling formulations for vaginal application,” Acta Pharmaceutica, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 59–70, 2012.
- K. D. Thakker and W. H. Chern, “Development and validation of in vitro release test for semisolid dosage forms—case study,” Dissolution Technologies, pp. 10–15, 2003.
- Q. Fan, M. Mitchnick, and A. Loxley, “In vitro release testing: the issues and challenges involved in in vitro release testing for semi-solid,” Drug Delivery Tech, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 62–66, 2007.
- L. C. Herrera, M. V. D. Tesoriero, and L. G. Hermida, “In vitro release testing of PLGA microspheres with Franz diffusion cells,” Dissolution Technologies, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 6–11, 2012.
- L. Otvos and M. Cudic, “Broth microdilution antibacterial assay of peptides,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 386, pp. 309–320, 2007.
- D. T. O'Hagan, H. Jeffery, and S. S. Davis, “The preparation and characterization of PLGA microspheres: III. Micro-particle/polymer degradation rates and the in vitro release of a model protein,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 1994.
- E. Walter, D. Dreher, M. Kok et al., “Hydrophilic poly(DL-lactide-co-glycolide) microspheres for the delivery of DNA to human-derived macrophages and dendritic cells,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 76, no. 1-2, pp. 149–168, 2001.
- I. P. Kaur, M. Singh, and M. Kanwar, “Formulation and evaluation of ophthalmic preparations of acetazolamide,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 199, no. 2, pp. 119–127, 2000.