- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 389046, 10 pages
Effect of Folic Acid and Vitamin on Pemetrexed Antifolate Chemotherapy in Nutrient Lung Cancer Cells
1Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, No. 110, Sec 1, Jianguo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
2Division of Chest Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, No. 160, Sec 3, Chung-Kang, Taichung 407, Taiwan
3Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, 155, Sec 2, Lih-Non Street, Shih-Pai 112, Taipei, Taiwan
4Institute of Biomedical Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, No. 160, Sec 3, Chung-Kang, Taichung 407, Taiwan
5Department of Education and Research, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, No. 160, Sec 3, Chung-Kang, Taichung 407, Taiwan
6Department of Medical Oncology and Chest Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, No. 110, Sec 1, Jianguo N. Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Received 23 April 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Ruxana T. Sadikot
Copyright © 2013 Tsung-Ying Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Ciuleanu, T. Brodowicz, C. Zielinski et al., “Maintenance pemetrexed plus best supportive care versus placebo plus best supportive care for non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 study,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9699, pp. 1432–1440, 2009.
- F. Vlastos, G. Hillas, P. Vidal et al., “Survey and biological insights of pemetrexed-related therapeutic improvement in mesothelioma: the nancy centre of biological resources- mesothelioma cohort,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1259–1263, 2009.
- J. Pippen, A. Elias, M. Neubauer et al., “A phase II trial of pemetrexed and gemcitabine in patients with metastatic breast cancer who have received prior taxane therapy,” Clinical Breast Cancer, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 148–153, 2010.
- C. Underhill, D. Goldstein, V. A. Gorbounova et al., “A randomized phase II trial of pemetrexed plus irinotecan (ALIRI) versus leucovorin-modulated 5-FU plus irinotecan (FOLFIRI) in first-line treatment of locally advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer,” Oncology, vol. 73, no. 1-2, pp. 9–20, 2008.
- R. V. Iaffaioli, A. Milano, and F. Caponigro, “Therapy of metastatic bladder carcinoma,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. vi153–vi156, 2007.
- D. Lorusso, G. Ferrandina, S. Pignata et al., “Evaluation of pemetrexed (Alimta, LY231514) as second-line chemotherapy in persistent or recurrent carcinoma of the cervix: the CERVIX 1 study of the MITO (Multicentre Italian Trials in Ovarian Cancer and Gynecologic Malignancies) Group,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 2010.
- L. Celio, C. N. Sternberg, R. Labianca et al., “Pemetrexed in combination with oxaliplatin as a first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a multi-institutional phase II study,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1062–1067, 2009.
- A. Mercalli, V. Sordi, R. Formicola et al., “A preclinical evaluation of pemetrexed and irinotecan combination as second-line chemotherapy in pancreatic cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1358–1367, 2007.
- R. Respaud, J.-F. Tournamille, C. Croix, H. Laborie, C. Elfakir, and M.-C. Viaud-Massuard, “Development of an ion-pairing reversed-phase liquid chromatography method using a double detection analysis (UV and evaporative light scattering detection) to monitor the stability of Alimta-pemetrexed preparations: identification and quantification of l-glutamic acid as a potential degradation product,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 411–416, 2011.
- C. Shih, L. L. Habeck, L. G. Mendelsohn, V. J. Chen, and R. M. Schultz, “Multiple folate enzyme inhibition: mechanism of a novel pyrrolopyrimidine-based antifolate LY231514 (MTA),” Advances in Enzyme Regulation, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 135–152, 1998.
- I. D. Goldman and R. Zhao, “Molecular, biochemical, and cellular pharmacology of pemetrexed,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 3–17, 2002.
- C. Niyikiza, S. D. Baker, D. E. Seitz et al., “Homocysteine and methylmalonic acid: markers to predict and avoid toxicity from pemetrexed therapy,” Molecular cancer therapeutics, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 545–552, 2002.
- N. J. Vogelzang, J. J. Rusthoven, J. Symanowski et al., “Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 2636–2644, 2003.
- M. Joerger, A. Omlin, T. Cerny, and M. Früh, “The role of pemetrexed in advanced non small-cell lung cancer: special focus on pharmacology and mechanism of action,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 2010.
- S. B. Gates, J. F. Worzalla, C. Shih, G. B. Grindey, and L. G. Mendelsohn, “Dietary folate and folylpolyglutamate synthetase activity in normal and neoplastic murine tissues and human tumor xenografts,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1477–1479, 1996.
- S. Farber and L. K. Diamond, “Temporary remissions in acute leukemia in children produced by folic,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 238, no. 23, pp. 787–793, 1948.
- Y. G. Assaraf, “Molecular basis of antifolate resistance,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 153–181, 2007.
- R. Zhao, F. Gao, and I. D. Goldman, “Marked suppression of the activity of some, but not all, antifolate compounds by augmentation of folate cofactor pools within tumor cells,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 857–865, 2001.
- G. V. Scagliotti, D.-M. Shin, H. L. Kindler et al., “Phase II study of pemetrexed with and without folic acid and vitamin B12 as front-line therapy in malignant pleural mesothelioma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1556–1561, 2003.
- B. A. Teicher, V. Chen, C. Shih et al., “Treatment regimens including the multitargeted antifolate LY231514 in human tumor xenografts,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1016–1023, 2000.
- J. L. Tonkinson, J. F. Worzalla, C.-H. Teng, and L. G. Mendelsohn, “Cell cycle modulation by a multitargeted antifolate, LY231514, increases the cytotoxicity and antitumor activity of gemcitabine in HT29 colon carcinoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 15, pp. 3671–3676, 1999.
- D. L. Scott, F. Wolfe, and T. W. J. Huizinga, “Rheumatoid arthritis,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9746, pp. 1094–1108, 2010.
- B. C. Widemann and P. C. Adamson, “Understanding and managing methotrexate nephrotoxicity,” Oncologist, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 694–703, 2006.
- A. D. Smith, Y.-I. Kim, and H. Refsum, “Is folic acid good for everyone?” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 517–533, 2008.
- J. E. Baggott and S. L. Morgan, “Folic acid supplements are good (not bad) for rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with lowdose methotrexate,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 479–480, 2008.
- M.-F. Wu, Y.-M. Hsiao, C.-F. Huang et al., “Genetic determinants of pemetrexed responsiveness and nonresponsiveness in non-small cell lung cancer cells,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1143–1151, 2010.
- S. J. Welsh, J. Titley, L. Brunton et al., “Comparison of thymidylate synthase (TS) protein up-regulation after exposure to TS inhibitors in normal and tumor cell lines and tissues,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2538–2546, 2000.
- J. I. Geller, K. Szekely-Szucs, I. Petak, B. Doyle, and J. A. Houghton, “p2 is a critical mediator of the cytotoxic action of thymidylate synthase inhibitors in colorectal carcinoma cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 17, pp. 6296–6303, 2004.