- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 389579, 6 pages
Relationship between Circulating BAFF Serum Levels with Proliferating Markers in Patients with Multiple Myeloma
1Hematology Department, University Hospital of Heraklion, P.O. Box 1352, Stavrakia, 71110 Heraklion, Greece
2Hematology Laboratory, University Hospital of Heraklion, Stavrakia, 71110 Heraklion, Greece
33rd Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School of Athens, Sotiria Hospital, 11527 Athens, Greece
4Pathology Department, University Hospital of Heraklion, Stavrakia, 71110 Heraklion, Greece
5Hematology Department, Venizelion Hospital of Heraklion, 71409 Heraklion, Greece
Received 6 April 2013; Revised 9 June 2013; Accepted 23 June 2013
Academic Editor: Jerome Moreaux
Copyright © 2013 Michael G. Alexandrakis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Caers, E. Van Valckenborgh, E. Menu, B. Van Camp, and K. Vanderkerken, “Unraveling the biology of multiple myeloma disease: cancer stem cells, acquired intracellular changes and interactions with the surrounding micro-environment,” Bulletin du Cancer, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 301–313, 2008.
- Y. N. Demchenko and W. M. Kuehl, “A critical role for the NFkB pathway in multiple myeloma,” Oncotarget, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2010.
- I. Hanamura, J. P. Stewart, Y. Huang et al., “Frequent gain of chromosome band 1q21 in plasma-cell dyscrasias detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization: incidence increases from MGUS to relapsed myeloma and is related to prognosis and disease progression following tandem stem-cell transplantation,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 1724–1732, 2006.
- L. DuVillard, M. Guiguet, R.-O. Casasnovas et al., “Diagnostic value of serum IL-6 level in monoclonal gammopathies,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 243–249, 1995.
- I. Tinhofer, I. Marschitz, T. Henn, A. Egle, and R. Greil, “Expression of functional interleukin-15 receptor and autocrine production of interleukin-15 as mechanisms of tumor propagation in multiple myeloma,” Blood, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 610–618, 2000.
- M. Howard, A. O'Garra, H. Ishida, R. de Waal Malefyt, and J. De Vries, “Biological properties of interleukin 10,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 239–247, 1992.
- V. M. Lauta, “A review of the cytokine network in multiple myeloma: diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic implications,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 2440–2452, 2003.
- C. Pappa, S. Miyakis, G. Tsirakis et al., “Serum levels of Interleukin-15 and Interleukin-10 and their correlation with proliferating cell nuclear antigen in multiple myeloma,” Cytokine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2007.
- J. Thaler, F. Fechner, M. Herold, and H. Huber, “Interleukin-6 in multiple myeloma: correlation with disease activity and Ki-67 proliferation index,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 265–271, 1994.
- P. Kanavaros, K. Stefanaki, J. Vlachonikolis et al., “Immunohistochemicall expression of the p53, p21/Waf-1, Rb, p16 and Ki67 proteins in multiple myeloma,” Anticancer Research, vol. 20, no. 6 B, pp. 4619–4625, 2000.
- K. Ingold, A. Zumsteg, A. Tardivel et al., “Identification of proteoglycans as the APRIL-specific binding partners,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 201, no. 9, pp. 1375–1383, 2005.
- J. Moreaux, A.-C. Sprynski, S. R. Dillon et al., “APRIL and TACI interact with syndecan-1 on the surface of multiple myeloma cells to form an essential survival loop,” European Journal of Haematology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 119–129, 2009.
- A. J. Novak, R. J. Bram, N. E. Kay, and D. F. Jelinek, “Aberrant expression of B-lymphocyte stimulator by B chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells: a mechanism for survival,” Blood, vol. 100, no. 8, pp. 2973–2979, 2002.
- J. Briones, J. M. Timmerman, D. M. Hilbert, and R. Levy, “BLyS and BLyS receptor expression in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 2002.
- A. J. Novak, J. R. Darce, B. K. Arendt et al., “Expression of BCMA, TACI, and BAFF-R in multiple myeloma: a mechanism for growth and survival,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 689–694, 2004.
- J. Moreaux, E. Legouffe, E. Jourdan et al., “BAFF and APRIL protect myeloma cells from apoptosis induced by interleukin 6 deprivation and dexamethasone,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 3148–3157, 2004.
- M. Fragioudaki, A. Boula, G. Tsirakis et al., “B cell-activating factor: its clinical significance in multiple myeloma patients,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 1413–1418, 2012.
- D. F. Jelinek and J. R. Darce, “Human B lymphocyte malignancies: exploitation of BLyS and APRIL and their receptors,” Current Directions in Autoimmunity, vol. 8, pp. 266–288, 2005.
- J. Moreaux, F. W. Cremer, T. Reme et al., “The level of TACI gene expression in myeloma cells is associated with a signature of microenvironment dependence versus a plasmablastic signature,” Blood, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 1021–1030, 2005.
- M. Abe, S. Kido, M. Hiasa et al., “BAFF and APRIL as osteoclast-derived survival factors for myeloma cells: a rationale for TACI-Fc treatment in patients with multiple myeloma,” Leukemia, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1313–1315, 2006.
- J. Moreaux, D. Hose, A. Kassambara et al., “Osteoclast-gene expression profiling reveals osteoclast-derived CCR2 chemokines promoting myeloma cell migration,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 1280–1290, 2011.
- G. Xu, X. J. Shen, J. Pu, et al., “BLyS expression and JNK activation may form a feedback loop to promote survival and proliferation of multiple myeloma cells,” Cytokine, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 505–513, 2012.
- J. Moreaux, D. Hose, M. Jourdan et al., “TACI expression is associated with a mature bone marrow plasma cell signature and C-MAF overexpression in human myeloma cell lines,” Haematologica, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 803–811, 2007.
- J.-F. Rossi, J. Moreaux, D. Hose et al., “Atacicept in relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma or active Waldenström's macroglobulinemia: a phase I study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 1051–1058, 2009.
- S. Pestka, C. D. Krause, D. Sarkar, M. R. Walter, Y. Shi, and P. B. Fisher, “Interleukin-10 and related cytokines and receptors,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 22, pp. 929–979, 2004.
- M. Yang, L. Sun, S. Wang et al., “Novel function of B cell-activating factor in the induction of IL-10-producing regulatory B cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 184, no. 7, pp. 3321–3325, 2010.
- Z. Y. L. Zhao Yang Lu, X. G. Z. Xue Guang Zhang, C. Rodriguez et al., “Interleukin-10 is a proliferation factor but not a differentiation factor for human myeloma cells,” Blood, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 2521–2527, 1995.
- H. Urbanśka-Ryś, A. Wierzbowska, H. Stȩpień, and T. Robak, “Relationship between circulating interleukin-10 (IL-10) with interleukin-6 (IL-6) type cytokines (IL-6, interleukin-11 (IL-11), oncostatin M (OSM)) and soluble interleukin-6 receptor (sIL-6R) in patients with multiple myeloma,” European Cytokine Network, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 443–451, 2000.
- K. H. Grabstein, J. Eisenman, K. Shanebeck et al., “Cloning of a T cell growth factor that interacts with the β chain of the interleukin-2 receptor,” Science, vol. 264, no. 5161, pp. 965–968, 1994.
- R. J. Armitage, B. M. Macduff, J. Eisenman, R. Paxton, and K. H. Grabstein, “IL-15 has stimulatory activity for the induction of B cell proliferation and differentiation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 483–490, 1995.
- T. A. Fehniger and M. A. Caligiuri, “Interleukin 15: biology and relevance to human disease,” Blood, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 14–32, 2001.
- Y. R. Carrasco and F. D. Batista, “B-cell activation by membrane-bound antigens is facilitated by the interaction of VLA-4 with VCAM-1,” EMBO Journal, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 889–899, 2006.
- H. Hase, Y. Kanno, M. Kojima et al., “BAFF/BLyS can potentiate B-cell selection with the B-cell coreceptor complex,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 2257–2265, 2004.
- M. G. Alexandrakis, F. H. Passam, D. S. Kyriakou, K. Dambaki, M. Niniraki, and E. Stathopoulos, “Ki-67 proliferation index: correlation with prognostic parameters and outcome in multiple myeloma,” The American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 2004.
- G. Thomas, L. Xavier, D. Alain, et al., “Plasma cell growth fraction using Ki-67 antigen expression identifies a subgroup of multiple myeloma patients displaying short survival within the ISS stage I,” European Journal of Haematology, 2010.