- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 389672, 7 pages
Positron Emission Tomography as a Surrogate Marker for Evaluation of Treatment Response in Patients with Desmoid Tumors under Therapy with Imatinib
1Sarcoma Unit, ITM—Interdisciplinary Tumor Center Mannheim, Mannheim University Medical Center, University of Heidelberg, Theodor-Kutzer-Ufer 1–3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
2Clinical Cooperation Unit Nuclear Medicine, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
3Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Theodor-Kutzer-Ufer 1–3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Received 11 March 2013; Accepted 7 May 2013
Academic Editor: Aleksandra Nikolic
Copyright © 2013 Bernd Kasper et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. S. Biermann, “Desmoid tumors,” Current Treatment Options in Oncology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 262–266, 2000.
- O. Micke and M. H. Seegenschmiedt, “Radiation therapy for aggressive fibromatosis (desmoid tumors): results of a national patterns of care study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 882–891, 2005.
- L. Bertario, A. Russo, P. Sala et al., “Multiple approach to the exploration of genotype-phenotype correlations in familial adenomatous polyposis,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1698–1707, 2003.
- S. K. Clark and R. K. S. Phillips, “Desmoids in familial adenomatous polyposis,” The British Journal of Surgery, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1494–1504, 1996.
- J. Janinis, M. Patriki, L. Vini, G. Aravantinos, and J. S. Whelan, “The pharmacological treatment of aggressive fibromatosis: a systematic review,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 181–190, 2003.
- G. Pignatti, G. Barbanti-Bròdano, D. Ferrari et al., “Extraabdominal desmoid tumor: a study of 83 cases,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 375, pp. 207–213, 2000.
- B. J. Druker, S. Tamura, E. Buchdunger et al., “Effects of a selective inhibitor of the Ab1 tyrosine kinase on the growth of Bcr-Ab1 positive cells,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 561–566, 1996.
- G. D. Demetri, M. von Mehren, C. D. Blanke et al., “Efficacy and safety of imatinib mesylate in advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 7, pp. 472–480, 2002.
- J. Mace, J. S. Biermann, V. Sondak et al., “Response of extraabdominal desmoid tumors to therapy with imatinib mesylate,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 11, pp. 2373–2379, 2002.
- A. Leithner, M. Gapp, R. Radl et al., “Immunohistochemical analysis of desmoid tumours,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1152–1156, 2005.
- M. C. Heinrich, G. A. McArthur, G. D. Demetri et al., “Clinical and molecular studies of the effect of imatinib on advanced aggressive fibromatosis (desmoid tumor),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1195–1203, 2006.
- R. Chugh, R. G. Maki, D. G. Thomas et al., “A SARC phase II multicenter trial of imatinib mesylate (IM) in patients with aggressive fibromatosis,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 18, abstract 9515, 2006.
- M. Schulte, D. Brecht-Krauss, B. Heymer et al., “Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography of soft tissue tumours: is a non-invasive determination of biological activity possible?” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 599–605, 1999.
- J. F. Eary and D. A. Mankoff, “Tumor metabolic rates in sarcoma using FDG PET,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 250–254, 1998.
- S. M. Schuetze, B. P. Rubin, C. Vernon et al., “Use of positron emission tomography in localized extremity soft tissue sarcoma treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 339–348, 2005.
- S. M. Schuetze, “Utility of positron emission tomography in sarcomas,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 369–373, 2006.
- B. Kasper, A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, L. G. Strauss, and P. Hohenberger, “Positron emission tomography in patients with aggressive fibromatosis/desmoid tumours undergoing therapy with imatinib,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1876–1882, 2010.
- M. Trojani, G. Contesso, J. M. Coindre et al., “Soft-tissue sarcomas of adults: study of pathological prognostic variables and definition of a histopathological grading system,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 1984.
- M. H. M. Schwarzbach, U. Hinz, A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss et al., “Prognostic significance of preoperative [18-F] fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET) imaging in patients with resectable soft tissue sarcomas,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 241, no. 2, pp. 286–294, 2005.
- R. Boellaard, N. C. Krak, O. S. Hoekstra, and A. A. Lammertsma, “Effects of noise, image resolution, and ROI definition on the accuracy of standard uptake values: a simulation study,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1519–1527, 2004.
- E. Y. Cheng, J. W. Froelich, J. C. Manivel, J. Weigel, and K. M. Skubitz, “Correlation of FDG-PET with histologic response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for soft tissue sarcomas,” Proceedings of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 18, abstract 10583, 2009.
- B. Kasper, S. Dietrich, A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss et al., “Early prediction of therapy outcome in patients with high-risk soft tissue sarcoma using positron emission tomography,” Onkologie, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 107–112, 2008.
- P. L. Jager, J. A. Gietema, and W. T. A. van der Graaf, “Imatinib mesylate for the treatment of gastrointestinal stromal tumours: best monitored with FDG PET,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 433–438, 2004.
- R. L. Wahl, H. Jacene, Y. Kasamon, and M. A. Lodge, “From RECIST to PERCIST: evolving considerations for PET response criteria in solid tumors,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 50, supplement 1, pp. 122S–150S, 2009.
- N. Penel, A. Le Cesne, B. N. Bui et al., “Imatinib for progressive and recurrent aggressive fibromatosis (desmoid tumors): an FNCLCC/French Sarcoma Group phase II trial with a long-term follow-up,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 452–457, 2011.
- C. Ramos-Font, A. S. Chinchilla, A. C. R. Aguirre, A. R. Fernández, A. M. Benítez, and J. M. L. Elvira, “Desmoid tumor of the chest wall characterized with 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose PET/CT scan. Correlation with magnetic resonancy and bone scintigraphy. Review of the literature,” Revista Espanola de Medicina Nuclear, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 70–73, 2009.
- A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, L. G. Strauss, G. Egerer et al., “Prediction of chemotherapy outcome in patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcomas based on dynamic FDG PET (dPET) and a multiparameter analysis,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1481–1489, 2010.
- A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, L. G. Strauss, G. Egerer et al., “Impact of dynamic 18F-FDG PET on the early prediction of therapy outcome in patients with high-risk soft-tissue sarcomas after neoadjuvant chemotherapy: a feasibility study,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 551–558, 2010.
- A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, P. Hohenberger, L. Pan, B. Kasper, S. Roumia, and L. G. Strauss, “Dynamic PET with FDG in patients with unresectable aggressive fibromatosis: regression-based parametric images and correlation to the FDG kinetics based on a two-tissue compartment model,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 943–948, 2012.
- M. M. Gounder, R. A. Lefkowitz, M. L. Keohan et al., “Activity of sorafenib against desmoid tumor/deep fibromatosis,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 4082–4090, 2011.