- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 390354, 9 pages
Dynamic of Mutational Events in Variable Number Tandem Repeats of Escherichia coli O157:H7
1Laboratorio de Inmunoquímica y Biotecnología, Centro de Investigación Veterinaria de Tandil (CIVETAN), Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, UNCPBA, Campus Universitario, Paraje Arroyo Seco S/N, 7000 Tandil, Argentina
Received 18 February 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Dietmar Quandt
Copyright © 2013 A. V. Bustamante et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Van Belkum, S. Scherer, L. Van Alphen, and H. Verbrugh, “Short-sequence DNA repeats in prokaryotic genomes,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 275–293, 1998.
- Y. Nakamura, M. Leppert, and P. O'Connell, “Variable number of tandem repeat (VNTR) markers for human gene mapping,” Science, vol. 235, no. 4796, pp. 1616–1622, 1987.
- S. Strand, T. A. Prolla, R. M. Liskay, and T. D. Petes, “Destabilization of tracts of simple repetitive DNA in yeast by mutations affecting DNA mismatch repair,” Nature, vol. 365, pp. 274–276, 1993.
- G. Levinson and G. A. Gutman, “Slipped-strand mispairing: a major mechanism for DNA sequence evolution,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 203–221, 1987.
- H. Ellegren, “Microsatellite mutations in the germline: implications for evolutionary inference,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 551–558, 2000.
- C. Schlötterer, “Evolutionary dynamics of microsatellite DNA,” Chromosoma, vol. 109, pp. 365–371, 2000.
- Y. Kashi, D. King, and M. Soller, “Simple sequence repeats as a source of quantitative genetic variation,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 74–78, 1997.
- E. Hyytiä-Trees, S. C. Smole, P. A. Fields, B. Swaminathan, and E. M. Ribot, “Second generation subtyping: a proposed PulseNet protocol for multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 (STEC O157),” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 118–131, 2006.
- F. Denœud and G. Vergnaud, “Identification of polymorphic tandem repeats by direct comparison of genome sequence from different bacterial strains: a web-based resource,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 5, article 4, 2004.
- J. M. Doll, P. S. Zeitz, P. Ettestad, A. L. Bucholtz, T. Davis, and K. Gage, “Cat-transmitted fatal pneumonic plague in a person who traveled from Colorado to Arizona,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 109–114, 1994.
- A. M. Klevytska, L. B. Price, J. M. Schupp, P. L. Worsham, J. Wong, and P. Keim, “Identification and characterization of variable-number tandem repeats in the Yersinia pestis genome,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 3179–3185, 2001.
- A. Van Belkum, S. Scherer, W. Van Leeuwen, D. Willemse, L. Van Alphen, and H. Verbrugh, “Variable number of tandem repeats in clinical strains of Haemophilus influenzae,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 5017–5027, 1997.
- P. Le Flèche, M. Fabre, F. Denoeud, J.-L. Koeck, and G. Vergnaud, “High resolution, on-line identification of strains from the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex based on tandem repeat typing,” BMC Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 1, article 37, 2002.
- M. B. Cooley, D. Carychao, K. Nguyen, L. Whitehand, and R. Mandrell, “Effects of environmental stress on stability of tandem repeats in Escherichia coli O157:H7,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 3398–3400, 2010.
- A. C. Noller, M. C. McEllistrem, A. G. F. Pacheco, D. J. Boxrud, and L. H. Harrison, “Multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis distinguishes outbreak and sporadic Escherichia coli O157:H7 isolates,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, pp. 5389–5397, 2003.
- A. Van Belkum, “Tracing isolates of bacterial species by multilocus variable number of tandem repeat analysis (MLVA),” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2007.
- A. C. Noller, M. C. McEllistrem, K. A. Shutt, and L. H. Harrison, “Locus-specific mutational events in a multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis of Escherichia coli O157:H7,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 374–377, 2006.
- A. J. Vogler, C. E. Keys, C. Allender et al., “Mutations, mutation rates, and evolution at the hypervariable VNTR loci of Yersinia pestis,” Mutation Research, vol. 616, no. 1-2, pp. 145–158, 2007.
- A. M. Urdahl, N. J. C. Strachan, Y. Wasteson, M. MacRae, and I. D. Ogden, “Diversity of Escherichia coli O157 in a longitudinal farm study using multiple-locus variable-number tandem-repeat analysis,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1344–1353, 2008.
- A. J. Vogler, C. Keys, Y. Nemoto, R. E. Colman, Z. Jay, and P. Keim, “Effect of repeat copy number on variable-number tandem repeat mutations in Escherichia coli O157:H7,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 188, no. 12, pp. 4253–4263, 2006.
- J. L. Lowell, D. M. Wagner, B. Atshabar et al., “Identifying sources of human exposure to plague,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, pp. 650–656, 2005.
- B.-A. Lindstedt, E. Heir, E. Gjernes, T. Vardund, and G. Kapperud, “DNA fingerprinting of shiga-toxin producing Escherichia coli O157 based on multiple-locus variable-number tandem-repeats analysis (MLVA),” Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, vol. 2, article 12, 2003.
- C. Keys, S. Kemper, and P. Keim, “Highly diverse variable number tandem repeat loci in the E. coli O157:H7 and O55:H7 genomes for high-resolution molecular typing,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 928–940, 2005.
- A. V. Bustamante, P. M. A. Lucchesi, and A. E. Parma, “Molecular characterization of verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157:H7 isolates from Argentina by multiple-loci VNTR analysis (MLVA),” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 927–932, 2009.
- J. M. Girard, D. M. Wagner, A. J. Vogler et al., “Differential plague-transmission dynamics determine Yersinia pestis population genetic structure on local, regional, and global scales,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 22, pp. 8408–8413, 2004.
- K. A. Jolley, E. J. Feil, M.-S. Chan, and M. C. J. Maiden, “Sequence type analysis and recombinational tests (START),” Bioinformatics, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1230–1231, 2002.
- Y. Lai and F. Sun, “The relationship between microsatellite slippage mutation rate and the number of repeat units,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2123–2131, 2003.
- K. García, R. G. Gavilán, M. G. Höfle, J. Martínez-Urtaza, and R. T. Espejo, “Microevolution of pandemic Vibrio parahaemolyticus assessed by the number of repeat units in short sequence tandem repeat regions,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e30823, 2012.
- L. Yun, Y. Gu, L. Zha, F. Zhu, and Y. Hou, “Utility of multilocus variable number tandem repeat analysis as a microbial forensic tool for subtyping Chinese Escherichia coli O157: H7 strains,” Forensic Science International, vol. 3, no. 1, supplement 3, pp. e293–e294, 2011.
- B.-A. Lindstedt, T. Vardund, and G. Kapperud, “Multiple-locus variable- number tandem-repeats analysis of Escherichia coli O157 using PCR multiplexing and multi-colored capillary electrophoresis,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 213–222, 2004.
- F. Kawamori, M. Hiroi, T. Harada et al., “Molecular typing of Japanese Escherichia coli O157:H7 isolates from clinical specimens by multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis and PFGE,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 58–63, 2008.
- M. Murphy, D. Minihan, J. F. Buckley, M. O'mahony, P. Whyte, and S. Fanning, “Multiple-Locus Variable number of tandem repeat Analysis (MLVA) of Irish verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157 from feedlot cattle: uncovering strain dissemination routes,” BMC Veterinary Research, vol. 4, article 2, 2008.
- E. Hyytiä-Trees, P. Lafon, P. Vauterin, and E. M. Ribot, “Multilaboratory validation study of standardized multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis protocol for Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157: a novel approach to normalize fragment size data between capillary electrophoresis platforms,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 129–136, 2010.