- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 392573, 9 pages
Enhanced Removal of a Pesticides Mixture by Single Cultures and Consortia of Free and Immobilized Streptomyces Strains
1Planta Piloto de Procesos Industriales Microbiológicos (PROIMI-CONICET), Avenida Belgrano y Pasaje Caseros, 4000 Tucumán, Argentina
2Núcleo de Desarrollo Científico Tecnológico, Universidad de La Frontera, Avenida Francisco Salazar 01145, 4780000 Temuco, Chile
3Departamento de Ingeniería Química, Universidad de La Frontera, Avenida Francisco Salazar 01145, 4780000 Temuco, Chile
4Universidad del Norte Santo Tomás de Aquino, 9 de Julio 165, 4000 Tucumán, Argentina
5Unidad de Administración Territorial, Centro Científico Tecnológico, CONICET-Tucumán, Crisóstomo Álvarez 722, 4000 Tucumán, Argentina
6Facultad de Bioquímica, Química y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Tucumán, Ayacucho 491, 4000 Tucumán, Argentina
Received 24 April 2013; Revised 7 June 2013; Accepted 13 June 2013
Academic Editor: Kannan Pakshirajan
Copyright © 2013 María S. Fuentes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Kumari, V. K. Madan, and T. S. Kathpal, “Status of insecticide contamination of soil and water in Haryana, India,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 136, no. 1–3, pp. 239–244, 2008.
- X. Chu, H. Fang, X. Pan et al., “Degradation of chlorpyrifos alone and in combination with chlorothalonil and their effects on soil microbial populations,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 464–469, 2008.
- K. R. Krishna and L. Philip, “Bioremediation of single and mixture of pesticide-contaminated soils by mixed pesticide-enriched cultures,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 164, no. 8, pp. 1257–1277, 2011.
- J. Stocka, M. Tankiewicz, M. Biziuk, and J. Namieśnik, “Green aspects of techniques for the determination of currently used pesticides in environmental samples,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 7785–7805, 2011.
- J. M. Kuperberg, K. F. A. Soliman, F. K. R. Stino, and M. G. Kolta, “Effects of time of day on chlorpyrifos-induced alterations in body temperature,” Life Sciences, vol. 67, no. 16, pp. 2001–2009, 2000.
- G. Briceño, M. S. Fuentes, G. Palma, M. A. Jorquera, M. J. Amoroso, and M. C. Diez, “Chlorpyrifos biodegradation and 3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridinol production by actinobacteria isolated from soil,” International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, vol. 73, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- K. L. Armbrust, “Chlorothalonil and chlorpyrifos degradation products in golf course leachate,” Pest Management Science, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 797–802, 2001.
- T. Cáceres, W. He, R. Naidu, and M. Megharaj, “Toxicity of chlorpyrifos and TCP alone and in combination to Daphnia carinata: the influence of microbial degradation in natural water,” Water Research, vol. 41, no. 19, pp. 4497–4503, 2007.
- M. C. Diez, “Biological aspects involves in the degradation of organic pollutants,” Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, vol. 10, pp. 244–267, 2010.
- A. Vallecillo, P. A. Garcia-Encina, and M. Peña, “Anaerobic biodegradability and toxicity of chlorophenols,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 161–168, 1999.
- C. M. Kaoa, C. T. Chaib, J. K. Liub, T. Y. Yehc, K. F. Chena, and S. C. Chend, “Evaluation of natural and enhanced PCP biodegradation at a former pesticide manufacturing plant,” Water Research, vol. 38, pp. 663–672, 2004.
- C.-F. Yang, C.-M. Lee, and C.-C. Wang, “Isolation and physiological characterization of the pentachlorophenol degrading bacterium Sphingomonas chlorophenolica,” Chemosphere, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 709–714, 2006.
- A. Remes, A. Pop, F. Manea, A. Baciu, S. J. Picken, and J. Schoonman, “Electrochemical determination of pentachlorophenol in water on a multi-wall carbon nanotubes-epoxy composite electrode,” Sensors, vol. 12, pp. 7033–7046, 2012.
- S. D. Copley, “Evolution of a metabolic pathway for degradation of a toxic xenobiotic: the patchwork approach,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 261–265, 2000.
- S. G. Muhamad, “Kinetic studies of catalytic photodegradation of chlorpyrifos insecticide in various natural waters,” Arabian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 2010.
- M. B. Carvalho, S. Tavares, J. Medeiros et al., “Degradation pathway of pentachlorophenol by Mucor plumbeus involves phase II conjugation and oxidation-reduction reactions,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 198, pp. 133–142, 2011.
- Y. Gao, S. Chen, M. Hu, Q. Hu, J. Luo, and Y. Li, “Purification and characterization of a novel chlorpyrifos hydrolase from Cladosporium cladosporioides Hu-01,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 6, Article ID e38137, 2012.
- K. D. Racke, D. A. Laskowski, and M. R. Schultz, “Resistance of chlorpyrifos to enhanced biodegradation in soil,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1430–1436, 1990.
- B. K. Singh and A. Walker, “Microbial degradation of organophosphorus compounds,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 428–471, 2006.
- J. Zhu, Y. Zhao, and J. Qiu, “Isolation and application of a chlorpyrifos-degrading Bacillus licheniformis ZHU-1,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 4, no. 22, pp. 2410–2413, 2010.
- G. Kulshrestha and A. Kumari, “Fungal degradation of chlorpyrifos by Acremonium sp. strain (GFRC-1) isolated from a laboratory-enriched red agricultural soil,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 219–225, 2011.
- Z. Liu, X. Chen, Y. Shi, and Z. C. Su, “Bacterial degradation of chlorpyrifos by Bacillus cereus,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 356–360, pp. 676–680, 2012.
- R. U. Edgehill, “Pentachlorophenol removal from slightly acidic mineral salts, commercial sand, and clay soil by recovered Arthrobacter strain ATCC 33790,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 142–148, 1994.
- I. S. Thakur, P. Verma, and K. Upadhayaya, “Molecular cloning and characterization of pentachlorophenol-degrading monooxygenase genes of Pseudomonas sp. from the chemostat,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 290, no. 2, pp. 770–774, 2002.
- R. I. Dams, G. I. Paton, and K. Killham, “Rhizoremediation of pentachlorophenol by Sphingobium chlorophenolicum ATCC 39723,” Chemosphere, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 864–870, 2007.
- S. Singh, R. Chandra, D. K. Patel, and V. Rai, “Isolation and characterization of novel Serratia marcescens (AY927692) for pentachlorophenol degradation from pulp and paper mill waste,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1747–1754, 2007.
- M. S. Fuentes, C. S. Benimeli, S. A. Cuozzo, and M. J. Amoroso, “Isolation of pesticide-degrading actinomycetes from a contaminated site: bacterial growth, removal and dechlorination of organochlorine pesticides,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 434–441, 2010.
- S. K. Karn, S. K. Chakrabarti, and M. S. Reddy, “Degradation of pentachlorophenol by Kocuria sp. CL2 isolated from secondary sludge of pulp and paper mill,” Biodegradation, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2011.
- M. A. Castillo, N. Felis, P. Aragón, G. Cuesta, and C. Sabater, “Biodegradation of the herbicide diuron by streptomycetes isolated from soil,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 58, no. 3-4, pp. 196–202, 2006.
- D. Smith, S. Alvey, and D. E. Crowley, “Cooperative catabolic pathways within an atrazine-degrading enrichment culture isolated from soil,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 265–273, 2005.
- C. S. Benimeli, M. J. Amoroso, A. P. Chaile, and G. R. Castro, “Isolation of four aquatic streptomycetes strains capable of growth on organochlorine pesticides,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2003.
- M. S. Fuentes, J. M. Sáez, C. S. Benimeli, and M. J. Amoroso, “Lindane biodegradation by defined consortia of indigenous Streptomyces strains,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 222, no. 1–4, pp. 217–231, 2011.
- D. A. Hopwood, “Genetic analysis and genome structure in Streptomyces coelicolor,” Bacteriological reviews, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 373–403, 1967.
- D. K. Bell, H. D. Wells, and C. R. Markham, “In vitro antagonism of Trichoderma species against six fungal plant pathogens,” Phytopathology, vol. 72, pp. 379–382, 1980.
- M. J. Amoroso, G. R. Castro, F. J. Carlino, N. C. Romero, R. T. Hill, and G. Oliver, “Screening of heavy metal-tolerant actinomycetes isolated from the Sali River,” Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 129–132, 1998.
- J. M. Saez, C. S. Benimeli, and M. J. Amoroso, “Lindane removal by pure and mixed cultures of immobilized actinobacteria,” Chemosphere, vol. 89, pp. 982–987, 2012.
- P. Pattanapipitpaisal, N. L. Brown, and L. E. Macaskie, “Chromate reduction by Microbacterium liquefaciens immobilised in polyvinyl alcohol,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 61–65, 2001.
- O. Rubilar, G. R. Tortella, R. Cuevas, M. Cea, S. Rodríguez-Couto, and M. C. Diez, “Adsorptive removal of pentachlorophenol by anthracophyllum discolor in a fixed-bed column reactor,” Water, Air and Soil Pollution, vol. 223, no. 5, pp. 2463–2472, 2012.
- E. E. O. Odjadjare, S. O. Ajisebutu, E. O. Igbinosa, O. A. Aiyegoro, M. R. Trejo-Hernandez, and A. I. Okoh, “Escravos light crude oil degrading potentials of axenic and mixed bacterial cultures,” Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 277–284, 2008.
- G. Thouand, P. Bauda, J. Oudot, G. Kirsch, C. Sutton, and J. F. Vidalie, “Laboratory evaluation of crude oil biodegradation with commercial or natural microbial inocula,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 106–115, 1999.
- J. D. van Hamme, A. Singh, and O. P. Ward, “Recent advances in petroleum microbiology,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews B, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 503–549, 2003.
- O. Zaborina, B. Baskunov, L. Baryshnikova, and L. Golovleva, “Degradation of pentachlorophenol in soil by Streptomyces rochei 303,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 55–70, 1997.
- C. H. Sasikala, S. Jiwal, P. Rout, and M. Ramya, “Biodegradation of chlorpyrifos by bacterial consortium isolated from agriculture soil,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1301–1308, 2012.
- M. A. Polti, M. J. Amoroso, and C. M. Abate, “Chromium(VI) resistance and removal by actinomycete strains isolated from sediments,” Chemosphere, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 660–667, 2007.
- M. S. Fuentes, A. Alvarez, J. M. Saez, C. S. Benimeli, and M. J. Amoroso, “Methoxychlor bioremediation by defined consortium of environmental Streptomyces strains,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 2013.
- C. Yang, Y. Li, K. Zhang et al., “Atrazine degradation by a simple consortium of Klebsiella sp. A1 and Comamonas sp. A2 in nitrogen enriched medium,” Biodegradation, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 97–105, 2010.
- S. R. Sørensen, Z. Ronen, and J. Aamand, “Growth in coculture stimulates metabolism of the phenylurea herbicide isoproturon by Sphingomonas sp. strain SRS2,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 3478–3485, 2002.
- S. R. Sørensen, C. N. Albers, and J. Aamand, “Rapid mineralization of the phenylurea herbicide diuron by Variovorax sp. strain SRS16 in pure culture and within a two-member consortium,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 2332–2340, 2008.
- S. Buono, S. Manzo, G. Maria, and G. Sansone, “Toxic effects of pentachlorophenol, azinphos-methyl and chlorpyrifos on the development of Paracentrotus lividus embryos,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 688–697, 2012.
- V. Matamoros, J. Puigagut, J. García, and J. M. Bayona, “Behavior of selected priority organic pollutants in horizontal subsurface flow constructed wetlands: a preliminary screening,” Chemosphere, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1374–1380, 2007.
- D. Prakash, A. Chauhan, and R. K. Jain, “Plasmid-encoded degradation of p-nitrophenol by Pseudomonas cepacia,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 224, no. 2, pp. 375–381, 1996.
- G. Yañez-Ocampo, E. Sanchez-Salinas, G. A. Jimenez-Tobon, M. Penninckx, and M. L. Ortiz-Hernández, “Removal of two organophosphate pesticides by a bacterial consortium immobilized in alginate or tezontle,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 168, no. 2-3, pp. 1554–1561, 2009.
- J.-Y. Wu, K.-C. Chen, C.-T. Chen, and S.-C. J. Hwang, “Hydrodynamic characteristics of immobilized cell beads in a liquid-solid fluidized-bed bioreactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 583–594, 2003.
- I. Banerjee, J. M. Modak, K. Bandopadhyay, D. Das, and B. R. Maiti, “Mathematical model for evaluation of mass transfer limitations in phenol biodegradation by immobilized Pseudomonas putida,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 211–223, 2001.
- J. H. Niazi and T. B. Karegoudar, “Degradation of dimethylphthalate by cells of Bacillus sp. immobilized in calcium alginate and polyurethane foam,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health A, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1135–1144, 2001.
- L. Zhou, G. Li, T. An, J. Fu, and G. Sheng, “Recent patents on immobilized microoganism technology and its engineering application in wastewater treatment,” Recent Patents on Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 28–35, 2008.
- A. Pannier, M. Mkandawire, U. Soltmann, W. Pompe, and H. Böttcher, “Biological activity and mechanical stability of sol-gel-based biofilters using the freeze-gelation technique for immobilization of Rhodococcus ruber,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1755–1767, 2012.
- P. Y. A. Ahamad and A. A. M. Kunhi, “Enhanced degradation of phenol by Pseudomonas sp. CP4 entrapped in agar and calcium alginate beads in batch and continuous processes,” Biodegradation, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 253–265, 2011.
- B.-E. Wang and Y.-Y. Hu, “Comparison of four supports for adsorption of reactive dyes by immobilized Aspergillus fumigatus beads,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 451–457, 2007.