- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 398968, 6 pages
Cloud Prediction of Protein Structure and Function with PredictProtein for Debian
1TUM, Department of Informatics, Bioinformatics & Computational Biology-I12, Boltzmannstraß 3, 85748 Garching, Germany
2Columbia University, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and New York Consortium on Membrane Protein Structure (NYCOMPS), 701 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
3Biosof LLC, 10th Floor, 138 West 25th Street, New York, NY 10001, USA
4WZW-Weihenstephan, Alte Akademie 8, Freising, Germany
5Institute for Advanced Study (TUM-IAS), Lichtenbergstraß 2a, 85748 Garching, Germany
Received 4 January 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editor: Ching-Hsien (Robert) Hsu
Copyright © 2013 László Kaján et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. V. Angiuoli, M. Matalka, A. Gussman et al., “CloVR: a virtual machine for automated and portable sequence analysis from the desktop using cloud computing,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 12, p. 356, 2011.
- E. Afgan, D. Baker, N. Coraor et al., “Harnessing cloud computing with Galaxy Cloud,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 972–974, 2011.
- D. Field, B. Tiwari, T. Booth et al., “Open software for biologists: from famine to feast,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 801–803, 2006.
- K. Krampis, T. Booth, B. Chapman et al., “Cloud BioLinux: pre-configured and on-demand bioinformatics computing for the genomics community,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 13, p. 42, 2012.
- J. T. Dudley, Y. Pouliot, R. Chen, A. A. Morgan, and A. J. Butte, “Translational bioinformatics in the cloud: an affordable alternative,” Genome Medicine, vol. 2, no. 8, p. 51, 2010.
- S. V. Angiuoli, J. R. White, M. Matalka, O. White, and W. F. Fricke, “Resources and costs for microbial sequence analysis evaluated using virtual machines and cloud computing,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e26624, 2011.
- P. Kudtarkar, T. F. DeLuca, V. A. Fusaro, P. J. Tonellato, and D. P. Wall, “Cost-effective cloud computing: a case study using the comparative genomics tool, roundup,” Evolutionary Bioinformatics, vol. 2010, no. 6, pp. 197–203, 2010.
- M. Steinegger, HPC Full in Silico Mutagenesis, in Department of Bioinformatics, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany, 2012.
- L. D. Stein, “The case for cloud computing in genome informatics,” Genome Biology, vol. 11, no. 5, p. 207, 2010.
- E. Afgan, D. Baker, N. Coraor, B. Chapman, A. Nekrutenko, and J. Taylor, “Galaxy CloudMan: delivering cloud compute clusters,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, supplement 12, p. S4, 2010.
- B. Rost and J. Liu, “The PredictProtein server,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3300–3304, 2003.
- B. Rost, G. Yachdav, and J. Liu, “The PredictProtein server,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, pp. W321–W326, 2004.
- L. M. Vaquero, L. Rodero-Merino, J. Caceres, and M. Lindner, “A break in the clouds: towards a cloud definition,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2008.
- V. A. Fusaro, P. Patil, E. Gafni, D. P. Wall, and P. J. Tonellato, “Biomedical cloud computing with amazon web services,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 7, no. 8, Article ID e1002147, 2011.
- J. J. Amor, G. Robles, J. M. González-Barahona, and I. Herraiz, “From pigs to stripes: a travel through debian,” in Proceedings of the Debian Annual Developers Meeting (DebConf '05), Citeseer, 2005.
- “The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG),” http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines.
- B. T. Dawn Field, T. Booth, S. Houten, D. Swan, N. Bertrand, and M. Thurston, “Bio-Linux 7,” http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux/bio-linux-7-info, 2012.
- “Debian Derivatives,” http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives.
- “NEW packages through Debian,” https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages#NEW_packages_through_Debian.
- “Debian Policy Manual,” http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/, 2012.
- “Debian Developer's Reference,” http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/, 2012.
- Y. Bromberg, G. Yachdav, Y. Ofran, R. Schneider, and B. Rost, “New in protein structure and function annotation: hotspots, single nucleotide polymorphisms and the “Deep Web”,” Current Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 408–419, 2009.
- M. Magrane and U. Consortium, “UniProt Knowledgebase: a hub of integrated protein data,” Database, vol. 2011, p. bar009, 2011.
- A. Bairoch, B. Boeckmann, S. Ferro, and E. Gasteiger, “Swiss-Prot: juggling between evolution and stability,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 39–55, 2004.
- R. Gentleman, “Reproducible research: a bioinformatics case study,” Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 1034, 2005.
- “PredictProtein Website,” http://predictprotein.org/.
- L. Kajan, “Getting Started with PredictProtein,” http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/PredictProtein, 2013.
- B. Rost and C. Sander, “Improved prediction of protein secondary structure by use of sequence profiles and neural networks,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 16, pp. 7558–7562, 1993.
- B. Rost and C. Sander, “Combining evolutionary information and neural networks to predict protein secondary structure,” Proteins, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 55–72, 1994.
- B. Rost and C. Sander, “Conservation and prediction of solvent accessibility in protein families,” Proteins, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 216–226, 1994.
- B. Rost, R. Casadio, P. Fariselli, and C. Sander, “Transmembrane helices predicted at 95% accuracy,” Protein Science, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 521–533, 1995.
- A. Schlessinger, J. Liu, and B. Rost, “Natively unstructured loops differ from other loops,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 3, no. 7, p. e140, 2007.
- M. Cokol, R. Nair, and B. Rost, “Finding nuclear localization signals,” EMBO Reports, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 411–415, 2000.
- Y. Ofran and B. Rost, “ISIS: interaction sites identified from sequence,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. e13–e16, 2007.
- A. Ceroni, A. Passerini, A. Vullo, and P. Frasconi, “Disulfind: a disulfide bonding state and cysteine connectivity prediction server,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 34, pp. W177–W181, 2006.
- J. Liu and B. Rost, “NORSp: predictions of long regions without regular secondary structure,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3833–3835, 2003.
- R. D. Finn, J. Mistry, J. Tate, et al., “The Pfam protein families database,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. D211–D222, 2010.
- S. R. Eddy, “Accelerated profile HMM searches,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 7, no. 10, Article ID e1002195, 2011.
- J. C. Wootton and S. Federhen, “Statistics of local complexity in amino acid sequences and sequence databases,” Computers and Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 149–163, 1993.
- H. Bigelow and B. Rost, “PROFtmb: a web server for predicting bacterial transmembrane beta barrel proteins,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 34, pp. W186–W188, 2006.
- A. Lupas, “ Prediction and analysis of coiled-coil structures,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 266, pp. 513–524, 1996.
- A. Schlessinger, G. Yachdav, and B. Rost, “PROFbval: predict flexible and rigid residues in proteins,” Bioinformatics, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 891–893, 2006.
- S. F. Altschul, W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers, and D. J. Lipman, “Basic local alignment search tool,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 1990.
- S. Möller, H. N. Krabbenhöft, A. Tille et al., “Community-driven computational biology with Debian Linux,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, supplement 12, p. S5, 2010.
- A. Schlessinger, C. Schaefer, E. Vicedo, M. Schmidberger, M. Punta, and B. Rost, “Protein disorder–a breakthrough invention of evolution?” Current Opinion in Structural Biology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 412–418, 2011.
- R. Moreno-Vozmediano, R. Montero, and I. Llorente, “IaaS cloud architecture: from virtualized data centers to federated cloud infrastructures,” IEEE Computer Society, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 65–72, 2012.
- T. H. Nyrönen, M. A. Babar, C. E. Cuesta, and J. E. Savolainen, “Delivering ICT infrastructure for biomedical research,” in Proceedings of the WICSA/ECSA 2012 Companion Volume, pp. 37–44, ACM, Helsinki, Finland, 2012.
- Y. Bromberg and B. Rost, “SNAP: predict effect of non-synonymous polymorphisms on function,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 3823–3835, 2007.
- “StarCluster,” http://star.mit.edu/cluster/index.html.
- R. H. Lathrop and B. Rost, “ISCB public policy statement on open access to scientific and technical research literature,” Bioinformatics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 291–294, 2011.