- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 405794, 8 pages
Diversity and Seasonal Impact of Acanthamoeba Species in a Subtropical Rivershed
1Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, National Chung Cheng University, Chiayi 621, Taiwan
2Department of Internal Medicine, Cheng Hsin Hospital, Taipei 112, Taiwan
3Section of Respiratory Therapy, Cheng Hsin Hospital, Taipei 112, Taiwan
4Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Mackay Medicine, Nursing, and Management College, Taipei 251, Taiwan
5Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
6General Surgery, Surgical Department, Cheng Hsin General Hospital, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Received 25 April 2013; Accepted 9 October 2013
Academic Editor: Achim Langenbucher
Copyright © 2013 Po-Min Kao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. L. Schuster and G. S. Visvesvara, “Free-living amoebae as opportunistic and non-opportunistic pathogens of humans and animals,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1001–1027, 2004.
- G. S. Visvesvara and F. L. Schuster, “Opportunistic free-living amebae—part I,” Clinical Microbiology Newsletter, vol. 30, no. 21, pp. 151–158, 2008.
- G. S. Visvesvara and F. L. Schuster, “Opportunistic free-living amebae—part II,” Clinical Microbiology Newsletter, vol. 30, no. 21, pp. 159–166, 2008.
- N. A. Khan, “Acanthamoeba: biology and increasing importance in human health,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 564–595, 2006.
- D. Corsaro and D. Venditti, “Phylogenetic evidence for a new genotype of Acanthamoeba (Amoebozoa, Acanthamoebida),” Parasitology Research, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 233–238, 2010.
- J. Lorenzo-Morales, C. A. Monteverde-Miranda, C. Jiménez, M. L. Tejedor, B. Valladares, and A. Ortega-Rivas, “Evaluation of Acanthamoeba isolates from environmental sources in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain,” Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 233–236, 2005.
- T. Kuroki, K. Yagita, E. Yabuuchi et al., “Isolation of Legionella and free-living amoebae at hot spring spas in Kanagawa, Japan,” The Journal of the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 1050–1055, 1998.
- C. Gianinazzi, M. Schild, B. Zumkehr et al., “Screening of Swiss hot spring resorts for potentially pathogenic free-living amoebae,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2010.
- A. Edagawa, A. Kimura, T. Kawabuchi-Kurata, Y. Kusuhara, and P. Karanis, “Isolation and genotyping of potentially pathogenic Acanthamoeba and Naegleria species from tap-water sources in Osaka, Japan,” Parasitology Research, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 1109–1117, 2009.
- J. Lorenzo-Morales, A. Ortega-Rivas, P. Foronda, E. Martínez, and B. Valladares, “Isolation and identification of pathogenic Acanthamoeba strains in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain from water sources,” Parasitology Research, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 273–277, 2005.
- N. Tsvetkova, M. Schild, S. Panaiotov et al., “The identification of free-living environmental isolates of amoebae from Bulgaria,” Parasitology Research, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 405–413, 2004.
- R. Hoffmann and R. Michel, “Distribution of free-living amoebae (FLA) during preparation and supply of drinking water,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, vol. 203, no. 3, pp. 215–219, 2001.
- M. R. Ettinger, S. R. Webb, S. A. Harris, S. P. McIninch, G. C. Garman, and B. L. Brown, “Distribution of free-living amoebae in James River, Virginia, USA,” Parasitology Research, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 6–15, 2003.
- P. M. Kao, M. C. Tung, B. M. Hsu, H. L. Tsai, C. Y. She, and S. M. Shen, “Real-time PCR method for the detection and quantification of Acanthamoeba species in various types of water samples,” Parasitology Research, vol. 112, pp. 1131–1136, 2013.
- S.-W. Huang, B.-M. Hsu, N.-H. Chen et al., “Isolation and identification of Legionella and their host amoebae from weak alkaline carbonate spring water using a culture method combined with PCR,” Parasitology Research, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1233–1241, 2011.
- S.-W. Huang and B.-M. Hsu, “Isolation and identification of Acanthamoeba from Taiwan spring recreation areas using culture enrichment combined with PCR,” Acta Tropica, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 282–287, 2010.
- A. Badirzadeh, M. Niyyati, Z. Babaei, H. Amini, H. Badirzadeh, and M. Rezaeian, “Isolation of free-living amoebae from sarein hot springs in ardebil province, Iran,” Iranian Journal of Parasitology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- P.-M. Kao, B.-M. Hsu, N.-H. Chen et al., “Isolation and identification of Acanthamoeba species from thermal spring environments in southern Taiwan,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 354–358, 2012.
- P.-M. Kao, B.-M. Hsu, N.-H. Chen et al., “Molecular detection and comparison of Acanthamoeba genotypes in different functions of watersheds in Taiwan,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 184, pp. 4335–4344, 2012.
- J. Lorenzo-Morales, J. F. Lindo, E. Martinez et al., “Pathogenic Acanthamoeba strains from water sources in Jamaica, West Indies,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 751–758, 2005.
- I. Init, Y. L. Lau, A. Arin Fadzlun, A. I. Foead, R. S. Neilson, and V. Nissapatorn, “Detection of free living amoebae, Acanthamoeba and Naegleria, in swimming pools, Malaysia,” Tropical Biomedicine, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 566–577, 2010.
- A. Lekkla, C. Sutthikornchai, S. Bovornkitti, and Y. Sukthana, “Free-living ameba contamination in natural hot springs in Thailand,” The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 36, pp. 1–5, 2005.
- B. Leiva, E. Clasdotter, E. Linder, and J. Winiecka-Krusnell, “Free-living Acanthamoeba and Naegleria spp. amebae in water sources of León, Nicaragua,” Revista de Biologia Tropical, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 439–446, 2008.
- J. Lorenzo-Morales, A. Ortega-Rivas, E. Martínez et al., “Acanthamoeba isolates belonging to T1, T2, T3, T4 and T7 genotypes from environmental freshwater samples in the Nile Delta region, Egypt,” Acta Tropica, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 63–69, 2006.
- A. C. M. Magliano, F. M. da Silva, M. M. G. Teixeira, and S. C. Alfieri, “Genotyping, physiological features and proteolytic activities of a potentially pathogenic Acanthamoeba sp. isolated from tap water in Brazil,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 231–235, 2009.
- P. Bonilla-Lemus, G. A. Ramírez-Bautista, C. Zamora-Muñoz, M. D. R. Ibarra-Montes, E. Ramírez-Flores, and M. D. Hernández-Martínez, “Acanthamoeba spp. in domestic tap water in houses of contact lens wearers in the metropolitan area of Mexico City,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 126, pp. 54–58, 2010.
- D. T. John and M. J. Howard, “Seasonal distribution of pathogenic free-living amebae in Oklahoma waters,” Parasitology Research, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 193–201, 1995.
- B. G. Warner, T. Asada, and N. P. Quinn, “Seasonal influences on the ecology of testate amoebae (Protozoa) in a small Sphagnum peatland in Southern Ontario, Canada,” Microbial Ecology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 91–100, 2007.
- S. Rodriguez Zaragoza, E. Mayzlish, and Y. Steinberger, “Seasonal changes in free-living amoeba species in the root canopy of Zygophyllum dumosum in the Negev Desert, Israel,” Microbial Ecology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 134–141, 2005.
- APHA, Standard Method for the Examination of Water and Waste Water, APHA, WEF and AWWA, Washington, DC, USA, 21th edition, 2005.
- S. Dhivya, H. N. Madhavan, C. M. Rao et al., “Comparison of a novel semi-nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR) with a uniplex PCR for the detection of Acanthamoeba genome in corneal scrapings,” Parasitology Research, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1303–1309, 2007.
- D. E. Kyle and G. P. Noblet, “Seasonal distribution of thermotolerant free-living amoebae—I. Willard's Pond,” The Journal of Protozoology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 422–434, 1986.
- D. E. Kyle and G. P. Noblet, “Seasonal distribution of thermotolerant free-living amoebae—II. Lake Issaqueena,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 10–15, 1987.
- F. R. S. Carvalho, R. F. Vazoller, A. S. Foronda, and V. H. Pellizari, “Phylogenetic study of Legionella species in pristine and polluted aquatic samples from a tropical Atlantic Forest ecosystem,” Current Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 288–293, 2007.
- A. F. M. Camargo, R. A. R. Ferreira, A. Schiavetti, and L. M. Bini, “Influence of physiographic and human activity on limnological characteristics of lotic ecosystems of the south coast of São Paulo, Brazil,” Acta Limnologica Brasiliensia, vol. 8, pp. 231–243, 1996.
- R. M. Valster, B. A. Wullings, R. van den Berg, and D. van der Kooij, “Relationships between free-living protozoa, cultivable Legionella spp., and water quality characteristics in three drinking water supplies in the Caribbean,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 20, pp. 7321–7328, 2011.
- M. Niyyati, J. Lorenzo-Morales, S. Rezaie et al., “Genotyping of Acanthamoeba isolates from clinical and environmental specimens in Iran,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 242–245, 2009.
- M. K. Hewett, B. S. Robinson, P. T. Monis, and C. P. Saint, “Identification of a new Acanthamoeba 18S rRNA gene sequence type, corresponding to the species Acanthamoeba jacobsi Sawyer, Nerad and Visvesvara, 1992 (Lobosea: Acanthamoebidae),” Acta Protozoologica, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 325–329, 2003.
- J. Walochnik, A. Aichelburg, O. Assadian et al., “Granulomatous amoebic encephalitis caused by Acanthamoeba amoebae of genotype T2 in a human immunodeficiency virus-negative patient,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 338–340, 2008.
- D. R. Stothard, J. M. Schroeder-Diedrich, M. H. Awwad et al., “The evolutionary history of the genus Acanthamoeba and the identification of eight new 18S rRNA gene sequence types,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 1998.