- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 408485, 10 pages
Neonatal Hyperoxic Exposure Persistently Alters Lung Secretoglobins and Annexin A1
1Nationwide Children’s Hospital, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
2The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 575 Children’s Crossroad, Columbus, OH 43215, USA
3Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Received 4 April 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Hartmut Jaeschke
Copyright © 2013 Thomas M. Raffay et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. J. van Marter, “Epidemiology of bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” Seminars in Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 358–366, 2009.
- L. E. Weisman, “Populations at risk for developing respiratory syncytial virus and risk factors for respiratory syncytial virus severity: infants with predisposing conditions,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 22, no. 2, supplement, pp. S33–S39, 2003.
- A. Greenough, “Long-term pulmonary outcome in the preterm infant,” Neonatology, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 324–327, 2008.
- L. Furman, J. Baley, E. Borawski-Clark, S. Aucott, and M. Hack, “Hospitalization as a measure of morbidity among very low birth weight infants with chronic lung disease,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 447–452, 1996.
- S. D. Reynolds and A. M. Malkinson, “Clara cell: progenitor for the bronchiolar epithelium,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2010.
- P. Lassus, T. J. Nevalainen, J. U. Eskola, and S. Andersson, “Clara-cell secretory protein in preterm infants' tracheal aspirates correlates with maturity and increases in infection,” Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 466–469, 2000.
- P. L. Ramsay, F. J. DeMayo, S. E. Hegemier, M. E. Wearden, C. V. Smith, and S. E. Welty, “Clara cell secretory protein oxidation and expression in premature infants who develop bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 155–161, 2001.
- A. J. J. Schrama, A. Bernard, B. J. H. M. Poorthuis, A. H. Zwinderman, H. M. Berger, and F. J. Walther, “Cord blood Clara cell protein CC16 predicts the development of bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 167, no. 11, pp. 1305–1312, 2008.
- C. J. Johnston, G. W. Mango, J. N. Finkelstein, and B. R. Stripp, “Altered pulmonary response to hyperoxia in Clara cell secretory protein deficient mice,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 147–155, 1997.
- S. D. Reynolds, P. R. Reynolds, G. S. Pryhuber, J. D. Finder, and B. R. Stripp, “Secretoglobins SCGB3A1 and SCGB3A2 define secretory cell subsets in mouse and human airways,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 166, no. 11, pp. 1498–1509, 2002.
- S.-Z. Wang, C. L. Rosenberger, Y.-X. Bao, J. M. Stark, and K. S. Harrod, “Clara cell secretory protein modulates lung inflammatory and immune responses to respiratory syncytial virus infection,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 1051–1060, 2003.
- T. M. Watson, S. D. Reynolds, G. W. Mango, I.-M. Boe, J. Lund, and B. R. Stripp, “Altered lung gene expression in CCSP-null mice suggests immunoregulatory roles for Clara cells,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 281, no. 6, pp. L1523–L1530, 2001.
- K. S. Harrod, A. D. Mounday, B. R. Stripp, and J. A. Whitsett, “Clara cell secretory protein decreases lung inflammation after acute virus infection,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 275, no. 5, part 1, pp. L924–L930, 1998.
- S. D. Reynolds, P. R. Reynolds, J. C. Snyder, F. Whyte, K. J. Paavola, and B. R. Stripp, “CCSP regulates cross talk between secretory cells and both ciliated cells and macrophages of the conducting airway,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. L114–L123, 2007.
- J. C. Snyder, S. D. Reynolds, J. W. Hollingsworth, Z. Li, N. Kaminski, and B. R. Stripp, “Clara cells attenuate the inflammatory response through regulation of macrophage behavior,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 161–171, 2010.
- B. B. Warner, L. A. Stuart, R. A. Papes, and J. R. Wispé, “Functional and pathological effects of prolonged hyperoxia in neonatal mice,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 275, no. 1, part 1, pp. L110–L117, 1998.
- M. Veiten, K. M. Heyob, L. K. Rogers, and S. E. Welty, “Deficits in lung alveolarization and function after systemic maternal inflammation and neonatal hyperoxia exposure,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 1347–1356, 2010.
- T. E. Tipple, S. E. Welty, L. D. Nelin, J. M. Hansen, and L. K. Rogers, “Alterations of the thioredoxin system by hyperoxia: implications for alveolar development,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 612–619, 2009.
- M. S. Park, E. Rieger-Fackeldey, B. L. Schanbacher et al., “Altered expressions of fibroblast growth factor receptors and alveolarization in neonatal mice exposed to 85% oxygen,” Pediatric Research, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 652–657, 2007.
- L. K. Rogers, T. E. Tipple, L. D. Nelin, and S. E. Welty, “Differential responses in the lungs of newborn mouse pups exposed to 85% or >95% oxygen,” Pediatric Research, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2009.
- M. Yee, P. R. Chess, S. A. McGrath-Morrow et al., “Neonatal oxygen adversely affects lung function in adult mice without altering surfactant composition or activity,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 297, no. 4, pp. L641–L649, 2009.
- M. A. O'Reilly, S. H. Marr, M. Yee, S. A. McGrath-Morrow, and B. P. Lawrence, “Neonatal hyperoxia enhances the inflammatory response in adult mice infected with influenza A virus,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 177, no. 10, pp. 1103–1110, 2008.
- T. Niimi, C. L. Keck-Waggoner, N. C. Popescu, Y. Zhou, R. C. Levitt, and S. Kimura, “UGRP1, a uteroglobin/Clara cell secretory protein-related protein, is a novel lung-enriched downstream target gene for the T/EBP/NKX2.1 homeodomain transcription factor,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2021–2036, 2001.
- R. Kurotani, T. Tomita, Q. Yang, B. A. Carlson, C. Chen, and S. Kimura, “Role of secretoglobin 3A2 in lung development,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 178, no. 4, pp. 389–398, 2008.