- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 408680, 7 pages
Postoperative Adiponectin Levels in Pediatric Patients Undergoing Open Heart Surgery
1Pediatric Intensive Care Department, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Safra Children’s Hospital, 52621 Tel-Hashomer, Israel
2Sackler School of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University, 39040 Tel-Aviv, Israel
3Institute of Endocrinology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Safra Children’s Hospital, 52621 Tel-Hashomer, Israel
4Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Safra Children’s Hospital, 52621 Tel-Hashomer, Israel
5Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Unit, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, The Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital, 52621 Tel-Hashomer, Israel
Received 15 April 2013; Revised 5 September 2013; Accepted 6 September 2013
Academic Editor: Rei Shibata
Copyright © 2013 A. Thaler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Butler, G. M. Rocker, and S. Westaby, “Inflammatory response to cardiopulmonary bypass,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 552–559, 1993.
- M. Chandran, S. A. Phillips, T. Ciaraldi, and R. R. Henry, “Adiponectin: more than just another fat cell hormone?” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 2442–2450, 2003.
- E. Bozzola, C. Meazza, M. Arvigo et al., “Role of adiponectin and leptin on body development in infants during the first year of life,” Italian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 36, p. 26, 2010.
- T. Kadowaki and T. Yamauchi, “Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 439–451, 2005.
- K.-Y. Kim, J. K. Kim, S. H. Han et al., “Adiponectin is a negative regulator of NK cell cytotoxicity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 176, no. 10, pp. 5958–5964, 2006.
- U. B. Pajvani, X. Du, T. P. Combs et al., “Structure-function studies of the adipocyte-secreted hormone Acrp30/adiponectin: implications for metabolic regulation and bioactivity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 11, pp. 9073–9085, 2003.
- G. Fantuzzi, “Adipose tissue, adipokines, and inflammation,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 911–920, 2005.
- G. I. Lancaster and M. A. Febbraio, “Adiponectin sphings into action,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–38, 2011.
- A. J. Walkey, T. W. Rice, J. Konter et al., “Plasma adiponectin and mortality in critically ill subjects with acute respiratory failure,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 2329–2334, 2010.
- G. Fantuzzi, “Adiponectin and inflammation: consensus and controversy,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 326–330, 2008.
- D. Modan-Moses, D. Stein, C. Pariente et al., “Modulation of adiponectin and leptin during refeeding of female anorexia nervosa patients,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1843–1847, 2007.
- G. Wernovsky, D. Wypij, R. A. Jonas et al., “Postoperative course and hemodynamic profile after the arterial switch operation in neonates and infants: a comparison of low-flow cardiopulmonary bypass and circulatory arrest,” Circulation, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 2226–2235, 1995.
- B. H. Dorman, J. M. Kratz, M. M. Multani et al., “A prospective, randomized study of endothelin and postoperative recovery in off-pump versus conventional coronary artery bypass surgery,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2004.
- C. Caselli, M. Cantinotti, S. del Ry et al., “Adiponectin plasma levels decrease after surgery in pediatric patients with congenital heart disease,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 16-17, pp. 1510–1512, 2012.
- H. T. F. de Mendonça-Filho, K. C. Pereira, M. Fontes et al., “Circulating inflammatory mediators and organ dysfunction after cardiovascular surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass: a prospective observational study,” Critical Care, vol. 10, no. 2, article R46, 2006.
- H. Tilg and A. R. Moschen, “Inflammatory mechanisms in the regulation of insulin resistance,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3-4, pp. 222–231, 2008.
- A. Witasp, L. Nordfors, M. Schalling, J. Nygren, O. Ljungqvist, and A. Thorell, “Expression of inflammatory and insulin signaling genes in adipose tissue in response to elective surgery,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 3460–3469, 2010.
- P. J. Simons, P. S. van den Pangaart, J. M. F. G. Aerts, and L. Boon, “Pro-inflammatory delipidizing cytokines reduces adiponectin secretion from human adipocytes without affecting adiponectin oligomerization,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 289–299, 2007.
- J. Bocsi, J. Hambsch, P. Osmancik, P. Schneider, G. Valet, and A. Tárnok, “Preoperative prediction of pediatric patients with effusions and edema following cardiopulmonary bypass surgery by serological and routine laboratory data,” Critical Care, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 226–233, 2002.
- B. Venkatesh, I. Hickman, J. Nisbet, J. Cohen, and J. Prins, “Changes in serum adiponectin concentrations in critical illness: a preliminary investigation,” Critical Care, vol. 13, no. 4, article R105, 2009.
- A. Franke, W. Lante, V. Fackeldey et al., “Pro-inflammatory cytokines after different kinds of cardio-thoracic surgical procedures: is what we see what we know?” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 569–575, 2005.
- N. Ouchi and K. Walsh, “Adiponectin as an anti-inflammatory factor,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 380, no. 1-2, pp. 24–30, 2007.
- L. Zhu, S. Shi, L. Liu, J. Lv, and H. Zhang, “Increased plasma sVCAM-1 is associated with severity in IgA nephropathy,” BMC Nephrology, vol. 14, article 21, 2013.
- D. Miłosz, L. Czupryniak, M. Saryusz-Wolska et al., “Adiponectinemia, inflammatory process activity, and endothelial dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes and acute coronary syndrome with ST elevation in relation to the severity of lesions in the coronary arteries,” Polskie Archiwum Medycyny Wewnetrznej, vol. 117, no. 8, pp. 343–349, 2007.
- H. Vaverkova, D. Karasek, D. Novotny et al., “Positive association of adiponectin with soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule sVCAM-1 levels in patients with vascular disease or dyslipidemia,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 725–731, 2008.
- A. Bourbon, M. Vionnet, P. Leprince et al., “The effect of methylprednisolone treatment on the cardiopulmonary bypass-induced systemic inflammatory response,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 932–938, 2004.
- F. Fallo, A. Scarda, N. Sonino et al., “Effect of glucocorticoids on adiponectin: a study in healthy subjects and in Cushing's syndrome,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 339–344, 2004.
- H. A. Uchida, Y. Nakamura, M. Kaihara et al., “Steroid pulse therapy impaired endothelial function while increasing plasma high molecule adiponectin concentration in patients with IgA nephropathy,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 3475–3480, 2006.
- C. Jang, W. J. Inder, V. R. Obeyesekere, and F. P. Alford, “Adiponectin, skeletal muscle adiponectin receptor expression and insulin resistance following dexamethasone,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 745–750, 2008.