- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 409675, 9 pages
Enhancement of Oxygen Mass Transfer and Gas Holdup Using Palm Oil in Stirred Tank Bioreactors with Xanthan Solutions as Simulated Viscous Fermentation Broths
1Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
2Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Manipal International University, 71800 Nilai, Negeri Sembilan Darul Khusus, Malaysia
Received 13 August 2013; Accepted 1 October 2013
Academic Editor: Eldon R. Rene
Copyright © 2013 Suhaila Mohd Sauid et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Doran, Bioprocess Engineering Principles, Academic Press, London, UK, 1996.
- S. M. Sauid and V. V. P. S. Murthy, “Effect of palm oil on oxygen transfer in a stirred tank bioreactor,” Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 10, no. 21, pp. 2745–2747, 2010.
- B. Katzbauer, “Properties and applications of xanthan gum,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 59, no. 1–3, pp. 81–84, 1998.
- F. García-Ochoa, V. E. Santos, J. A. Casas, and E. Gómez, “Xanthan gum: production, recovery, and properties,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 549–579, 2000.
- F. García-Ochoa, E. G. Castro, and V. E. Santos, “Oxygen transfer and uptake rates during xanthan gum production,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 680–690, 2000.
- F. Yoshida, T. Yamane, and Y. Miyamoto, “Oxygen absorption into oil-in-water emulsions: a study on hydrocarbon fermentors,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 570–577, 1970.
- J. L. Rols and G. Goma, “Enhanced oxygen transfer rates in fermentation using soybean oil-in-water dispersions,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 1991.
- Y. M. Lo, C. H. Hsu, S. T. Yang, and D. B. Min, “Oxygen transfer characteristics of a centrifugal, packed-bed reactor during viscous xanthan fermentation,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 187–193, 2001.
- A.-I. Galaction, D. Cascaval, C. Oniscu, and M. Turnea, “Enhancement of oxygen mass transfer in stirred bioreactors using oxygen-vectors. 1. Simulated fermentation broths,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 231–238, 2004.
- P. F. F. Amaral, M. G. Freire, M. H. M. Rocha-Leão, I. M. Marrucho, J. A. P. Coutinho, and M. A. Z. Coelho, “Optimization of oxygen mass transfer in a multiphase bioreactor with perfluorodecalin as a second liquid phase,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 588–598, 2008.
- L.-K. Ju and S. Zhao, “Xanthan fermentations in water/oil dispersions,” Biotechnology Techniques, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 463–468, 1993.
- S. G. Kuttuva, A. S. Restrepo, and L.-K. Ju, “Evaluation of different organic phases for water-in-oil xanthan fermentation,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 340–345, 2004.
- J. C. Allen and R. J. Hamilton, Rancidity in Foods, Chapman & Hall, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- K. Ahmad, C. C. Ho, W. K. Fong, and D. Toji, “Properties of palm oil-in-water emulsions stabilized by nonionic emulsifiers,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 595–604, 1996.
- P. F. Stanbury and A. Whitaker, Principles of Fermentation Technology, Butterworth-Heinemann, Great Britain, UK, 2nd edition, 1995.
- W. A. Brown, “Developing the best correlation for estimating the transfer of oxygen from air to water,” Chemical Engineering Education, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 134–147, 2001.
- F. Garcia-Ochoa and E. Gomez, “Bioreactor scale-up and oxygen transfer rate in microbial processes: an overview,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 153–176, 2009.
- C. M. Cooper, G. A. Fernstrom, and S. A. Miller, “Performance of agitated gas-liquid contactors,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry, vol. 36, pp. 504–509, 1944.
- M. A. Winkler, Ed., Chemical Engineering Problems in Biotechnology, Elsevier Science, England, UK, 1990.
- D. R. Nielsen, A. J. Daugulis, and P. J. McLellan, “A novel method of simulating oxygen mass transfer in two-phase partitioning bioreactors,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 735–742, 2003.
- M. M. L. de Figueiredo and P. H. Calderbank, “The scale-up of aerated mixing vessels for specified oxygen dissolution rates,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1333–1338, 1979.
- T. Moucha, V. Linek, and E. Prokopová, “Gas hold-up, mixing time and gas-liquid volumetric mass transfer coefficient of various multiple-impeller configurations: rushton turbine, pitched blade and techmix impeller and their combinations,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 1839–1846, 2003.
- K. Saravanan, V. Ramamurthy, and K. Chandramohan, “Gas holdup in multiple impeller agitated vessels,” Modern Applied Science, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 49–59, 2009.
- L. Ma and G. V. Barbosa-Cánovas, “Rheological characterization of mayonnaise. Part II: flow and viscoelastic properties at different oil and xanthan gum concentrations,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 409–425, 1995.
- R. K. Finn, “Agitation-aeration in the laboratory and in industry,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 18, pp. 254–274, 1954.
- J. L. Rols, J. S. Condoret, C. Fonade, and G. Goma, “Mechanism of enhanced oxygen transfer in fermentation using emulsified oxygen-vectors,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 427–435, 1990.
- N. Gomes, M. Aguedo, J. Teixeira, and I. Belo, “Oxygen mass transfer in a biphasic medium: influence on the biotransformation of methyl ricinoleate into γ-decalactone by the yeast Yarrowia lipolytica,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 380–386, 2007.
- K. G. Clarke and L. D. C. Correia, “Oxygen transfer in hydrocarbon-aqueous dispersions and its applicability to alkane bioprocesses: a review,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 405–429, 2008.
- G. D. Najafpour, Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2007.
- Y. Kawase and M. Moo-Young, “Influence of antifoam agents on gas hold-up and mass transfer in bubble columns with non-newtonian fluids,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 159–167, 1987.
- V. Machon, J. Vlcek, A. W. Nienow, and J. Solomon, “Some effects of pseudoplasticity on hold-up in aerated, agitated vessels,” The Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 67–74, 1980.
- S. J. Arjunwadkar, K. Sarvanan, P. R. Kulkarni, and A. B. Pandit, “Gas-liquid mass transfer in dual impeller bioreactor,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 1998.
- F. García-Ochoa and E. Gómez, “Mass transfer coefficient in stirred tank reactors for xanthan gum solutions,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1998.
- Y. Kawase and M. Moo-Young, “Volumetric mass transfer coefficients in aerated stirred tank reactors with Newtonian and non-Newtonian media,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 284–288, 1988.