- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 410609, 11 pages
The Effects of Bariatric Procedures versus Medical Therapy for Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
1Department of General Surgery, Lanzhou University Second Hospital, Lanzhou 730000, China
2Hepatic-Biliary-Pancreatic Institute, Lanzhou University Second Hospital, Lanzhou 730030, China
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 23 June 2013; Accepted 23 June 2013
Academic Editor: Abel Romero-Corral
Copyright © 2013 Xiaohu Guo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Danaei, M. M. Finucane, Y. Lu et al., “National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2·7 million participants,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9785, pp. 31–40, 2011.
- P. Zimmet, K. G. M. M. Alberti, and J. Shaw, “Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemic,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6865, pp. 782–787, 2001.
- World Health Organization, “Fact sheet No 311: obesity and overweight,” 2010, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/.
- G. Sierra, “The global pandemic of diabetes,” African Journal of Diabetes Medicine, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 4–8, 2009.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, supplement 1, pp. 62–69, 2011.
- M. Brandle, H. Zhou, B. R. K. Smith et al., “The direct medical cost of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 2300–2304, 2003.
- R. C. Turner, C. A. Cull, V. Frighi, and R. R. Holman, “Glycemic control with diet, sulfonylurea, metformin, or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Progressive requirement for multiple therapies (UKPDS 49),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 21, pp. 2005–2012, 1999.
- L. Sjöström, A. K. Lindroos, M. Peltonen, et al., “Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 26, pp. 2683–2693, 2004.
- L. Sjöström, K. Narbro, C. D. Sjöström, et al., “Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 8, pp. 741–752, 2007.
- A. G. Bertoni, J. M. Clark, P. Feeney et al., “Suboptimal control of glycemia, blood pressure, and LDL cholesterol in overweight adults with diabetes: the Look AHEAD Study,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- R. S. Gill, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, A. M. Sharma, and S. Karmali, “Sleeve gastrectomy and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 707–713, 2010.
- H. Buchwald, R. Estok, K. Fahrbach et al., “Weight and type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 248.e5–256.e5, 2009.
- J. B. Dixon, P. E. O'Brien, J. Playfair et al., “Adjustable gastric banding and conventional therapy for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 3, pp. 316–323, 2008.
- P. R. Schauer, S. R. Kashyap, K. Wolski et al., “Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 17, pp. 1567–1576, 2012.
- G. Mingrone, S. Panunzi, A. de Gaetano et al., “Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 17, pp. 1577–1585, 2012.
- NIH Conference, “Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. Consensus Development Conference Panel,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 956–961, 1991.
- J. B. Dixon, W. J. Pories, P. E. O'Brien, P. R. Schauer, and P. Zimmet, “Surgery as an effective early intervention for diabesity: why the reluctance?” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 472–474, 2005.
- J. B. Dixon, P. Zimmet, K. G. Alberti, and F. Rubino, “Bariatric surgery: an IDF statement for obese Type2 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 628–642, 2011.
- F. Abbatini, D. Capoccia, G. Casella, F. Coccia, F. Leonetti, and N. Basso, “Type 2 diabetes in obese patients with body mass index of 3035 kg/m2: sleeve gastrectomy versus medical treatment,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2012.
- B. Geloneze, S. R. Geloneze, C. Fiori et al., “Surgery for nonobese type 2 diabetic patients: an interventional study with duodenal-jejunal exclusion,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1077–1083, 2009.
- F. Leonetti, D. Capoccia, F. Coccia, et al., “Obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and other comorbidities: a prospective cohort study of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs medical treatment,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 147, no. 8, pp. 694–700, 2012.
- D. M. Nathan, J. B. Buse, M. B. Davidson, et al., “Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 193–203, 2009.
- M. Espeland, X. Pi-Sunyer, G. Blackburn et al., “Reduction in weight and cardiovascular disease risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes one-year results of the look AHEAD trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1374–1383, 2007.
- Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes study Group, H. C. Gerstein, M. E. Miller, et al., “Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 24, pp. 2545–2559, 2008.
- S. L. Norris, X. Zhang, A. Avenell et al., “Long-term effectiveness of lifestyle and behavioral weight loss interventions in adults with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 117, no. 10, pp. 762–774, 2004.
- R. Ashraf, R. A. Khan, and I. Ashraf, “Garlic (Allium sativum) supplementation with standard antidiabetic agent provides better diabetic control in type 2 diabetes patients,” Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 565–570, 2011.