- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 410631, 8 pages
A Novel Closed-Chest Porcine Model of Chronic Ischemic Heart Failure Suitable for Experimental Research in Cardiovascular Disease
1Department of Medico-Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Corso della Repubblica 79, 04100 Latina, Italy
2Department of Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Nephrologic, Anesthesiologic and Geriatric Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
3Center of Experimental Research, Catholic University of Rome, Largo Agostino Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
4Division of Cardiology, Catholic University of Rome, Largo Agostino Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
5Department of Cardiac Surgery, Bambino Gesù Hospital, Piazza di Sant’Onofrio 4, 00165 Rome, Italy
6Division of Cardiology, University of Turin, Corso Bramante 88-90, 10126 Turin, Italy
7IRCCS Neuromed, Via Atinense 18, 86077 Pozzilli, Italy
Received 18 July 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2013 Giuseppe Biondi-Zoccai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Braunwald, “Heart failure,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2013.
- A. S. Go, D. Mozaffarian, V. L. Roger, et al., “Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics—2013 update: a report from the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 143–152, 2013.
- D. Carnevale, G. Cifelli, G. Mascio et al., “Placental growth factor regulates cardiac inflammation through the tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-3/tumor necrosis factor-α-converting enzyme axis: crucial role for adaptive cardiac remodeling during cardiac pressure overload,” Circulation, vol. 124, no. 12, pp. 1337–1350, 2011.
- S. Koudstaal, S. J. Jansen Of Lorkeers, R. Gaetani, et al., “Concise review: heart regeneration and the role of cardiac stem cells,” Stem Cells Translational Medicine, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 434–443, 2013.
- A. Halapas, A. Papalois, A. Stauropoulou et al., “In vivo models for heart failure research,” In Vivo, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 767–780, 2008.
- L. Barandon, J. Calderon, P. Réant et al., “Adjustment and characterization of an original model of chronic ischemic heart failure in pig,” Cardiology Research and Practice, vol. 1, no. 1, Article ID 542451, 2010.
- J. D. Schmitto, K. O. Coskun, S. T. Coskun et al., “Hemodynamic changes in a model of chronic heart failure induced by multiple sequential coronary microembolization in sheep,” Artificial Organs, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 947–952, 2009.
- S.-X. Zhou, J. Lei, C. Fang, Y.-L. Zhang, and J.-F. Wang, “Ventricular electrophysiology in congestive heart failure and its correlation with heart rate variability and baroreflex sensitivity: a canine model study,” Europace, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 245–251, 2009.
- Y. Suzuki, J. K. Lyons, A. C. Yeung, and F. Ikeno, “In vivo porcine model of reperfused myocardial infarction: in situ double staining to measure precise infarct area/area at risk,” Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 100–107, 2008.
- W. G. Kim, Y. C. Shin, S. W. Hwang, C. Lee, and C. Y. Na, “Comparison of myocardial infarction with sequential ligation of the left anterior descending artery and its diagonal branch in dogs and sheep,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 351–357, 2003.
- R. Breckenridge, “Heart failure and mouse models,” DMM Disease Models and Mechanisms, vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 138–143, 2010.
- I. Chimenti, R. Gaetani, L. Barile, et al., “Isolation and expansion of adult cardiac stem/progenitor cells in the form of cardiospheres from human cardiac biopsies and murine hearts,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 879, pp. 327–338, 2012.
- A. G. Freifeld, E. H. Schuster, and B. Healy Buckley, “Nontransmural versus transmural myocardial infarction. A morphologic study,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 423–432, 1983.
- Y. Suzuki, A. C. Yeung, and F. Ikeno, “The representative porcine model for human cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 195483, 10 pages, 2011.
- J. H. Geens, S. Trenson, F. R. Rega, E. K. Verbeken, and B. P. Meyns, “Ovine models for chronic heart failure,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 496–506, 2009.
- M. Bjerre, H. Jensen, J. D. Andersen et al., “Chronic ischemic mitral regurgitation induced in pigs by catheter-based coronary artery occlusion,” The Journal of Heart Valve Disease, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 283–289, 2008.
- G. A. Krombach, S. Kinzel, A. H. Mahnken, R. W. Günther, and A. Buecker, “Minimally invasive close-chest method for creating reperfused or occlusive myocardial infarction in swine,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2005.
- R. Gaetani, G. Rizzitelli, I. Chimenti et al., “Cardiospheres and tissue engineering for myocardial regeneration: potential for clinical application,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1071–1077, 2010.
- E. Forte, I. Chimenti, L. Barile et al., “Cardiac cell therapy: the next (re)generation,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1018–1030, 2011.
- E. Abdelwahid, T. Siminiak, L. C. Guarita-Souza et al., “Stem cell therapy in heart diseases: a review of selected new perspectives, practical considerations and clinical applications,” Current Cardiology Reviews, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 201–212, 2011.