- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 410686, 9 pages
Enrichment, Development, and Assessment of Indian Basil Oil Based Antiseptic Cream Formulation Utilizing Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance Approach
1Herbal Medicinal Products Department, CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, PO-CIMAP, Lucknow 226015, India
2Molecular Bioprospection Department, CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, PO-CIMAP, Lucknow 226015, India
Received 12 April 2013; Accepted 9 July 2013
Academic Editor: Ismail Kiran
Copyright © 2013 Narayan Prasad Yadav et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Singh, “Mechanism of action of antiinflammatory effect of fixed oil of Ocimum basilicum Linn,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 248–252, 1999.
- I. H. N. Bassolé, A. Lamien-Meda, B. Bayala et al., “Composition and antimicrobial activities of Lippia multiflora Moldenke, Mentha x piperita L. and Ocimum basilicum L. essential oils and their major monoterpene alcohols alone and in combination,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 7825–7839, 2010.
- S. M. Kéita, C. Vincent, J.-P. Schmit, J. T. Arnason, and A. Bélanger, “Efficacy of essential oil of Ocimum basilicum L. and O. gratissimum L. applied as an insecticidal fumigant and powder to control Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.),” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 339–349, 2001.
- S. Amrani, H. Harnafi, N. E. H. Bouanani et al., “Hypolipidaemic activity of aqueous Ocimum basilicum extract in acute hyperlipidaemia induced by triton WR-1339 in rats and its antioxidant property,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1040–1045, 2006.
- H. J. D. Dorman and R. Hiltunen, “Ocimum basilicum L.: phenolic profile and antioxidant-related activity,” Natural Product Communications, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2010.
- L. O. Orafidiya, A. O. Oyedele, A. O. Shittu, and A. A. Elujoba, “The formulation of an effective topical antibacterial product containing Ocimum gratissimum leaf essential oil,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 224, no. 1-2, pp. 177–183, 2001.
- A. Rasul and N. Akhtar, “Formulation and in vivo evaluation for anti-aging effects of an emulsion containing basil extract using non-invasive biophysical techniques,” DARU, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 344–350, 2011.
- Directorate-General, S.C.o.F. Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food on Estragole (1-Allyl-4-methoxybenzene). SCF/CS/FLAV/FLAVOUR/6 ADD2 FINAL, pp. 1–10, 2001.
- Basil. 2013, http://www.evitamins.com/encyclopedia/assets/nutritional-supplement/basil/side-effects.
- R. W. Bussmann, G. Malca-García, A. Glenn et al., “Minimum inhibitory concentrations of medicinal plants used in Northern Peru as antibacterial remedies,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 101–108, 2010.
- T. Schmidts, D. Dobler, P. Schlupp, C. Nissing, H. Garn, and F. Runkel, “Development of multiple W/O/W emulsions as dermal carrier system for oligonucleotides: effect of additives on emulsion stability,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 398, no. 1-2, pp. 107–113, 2010.
- W. C. Griffin, “Classification of surface-active agents by ‘HLB’,” Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, vol. 1, p. 311, 1949.
- W. C. Griffin, “Calculation of HLB values of non-ionic surfactants,” Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, vol. 5, no. 249, 1954.
- C. P. Fernandes, M. P. Mascarenhas, F. M. Zibetti, et al., “HLB value, an important parameter for the development of essential oil phytopharmaceuticals,” Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, vol. 23, pp. 108–114, 2013.
- L. O. Orafidiya and F. A. Oladimeji, “Determination of the required HLB values of some essential oils,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 237, no. 1-2, pp. 241–249, 2002.
- F. R. Formiga, I. A. A. Fonseca, K. B. Souza et al., “Influence of a lipophilic drug on the stability of emulsions: an important approach on the development of lipidic carriers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 344, no. 1-2, pp. 158–160, 2007.
- L. Lachman, H. A. Lieberman, and J. L. Kanig, The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy, Varghese Publishing House, Bombay, India, 3rd edition, 1987.
- M. R. A. Ferreira, R. R. Santiago, T. P. De Souza, E. S. T. Egito, E. E. Oliveira, and L. A. L. Soares, “Development and evaluation of emulsions from Carapa guianensis (Andiroba) oil,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 1383–1390, 2010.
- J. E. Smith and M. L. Jordan, “Mathematical and graphical interpretation of the log-normal law for particle size distribution analysis,” Journal of Colloid Science, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 549–559, 1964.
- A. Gupta and P. B. Myrdal, “Development of a perillyl alcohol topical cream formulation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 373–383, 2004.
- H. Zhang, Y. Cui, S. Zhu, F. Feng, and X. Zheng, “Characterization and antimicrobial activity of a pharmaceutical microemulsion,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 395, no. 1-2, pp. 154–160, 2010.
- K. Carović-Stanko, S. Orlić, O. Politeo et al., “Composition and antibacterial activities of essential oils of seven Ocimum taxa,” Food Chemistry, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 196–201, 2010.
- N. Aroonrerk and N. Kamkaen, “Anti-inflammatory activity of Quercus infectoria, Glycyrrhiza uralensis, Kaempferia galanga and Coptis chinensis, the main components of thai herbal remedies for aphthous ulcer,” Journal of Health Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2009.
- N. Babul, A. Singh, H. Kao, and A. Bajaj, “Skin irritation potential of topical mepivacaine gel and cream dosage forms,” The Journal of Pain, vol. 13, no. 4, supplement, p. S87, 2012.
- Brookfield, CT3 Texture Analyzer Operating Instructions Manual No. M/08-371A0708, Brookfield Engineering Laboratories Ltd., Middleborough, Mass, USA, 2011.
- V. Lemaitre-Aghazarian, P. Piccerelle, J. P. Reynier, J. Joachim, R. Phan-Tan-Luu, and M. Sergent, “Texture optimization of water-in-oil emulsions,” Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 125–134, 2004.
- M. E. Gillian, Emulsions and Microemulsions, in Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology, Informa Healthcare, 3rd edition, 2006.
- G. Urbina-Villalba, A. Forgiarini, K. Rahn, and A. Lozsán, “Influence of flocculation and coalescence on the evolution of the average radius of an O/W emulsion. Is a linear slope of R3vs. t an unmistakable signature of Ostwald ripening?” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 11, no. 47, pp. 11184–11195, 2009.
- J. S. Nambam and J. Philip, “Competitive adsorption of polymer and surfactant at a liquid droplet interface and its effect on flocculation of emulsion,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 366, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2012.
- F. Wang, Y. Liu, Y. Zhang, and S. Hu, “Experimental study on the stability of asphalt emulsion for CA mortar by laser diffraction technique,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 117–121, 2012.
- H. Mirhosseini, C. P. Tan, N. S. A. Hamid, and S. Yusof, “Optimization of the contents of Arabic gum, xanthan gum and orange oil affecting turbidity, average particle size, polydispersity index and density in orange beverage emulsion,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1212–1223, 2008.
- M. Aoki, A. Kamata, I. Yoshioka, and T. Matsuzaki, “Application of surface active agents to pharmaceutical preparations I: effect of Tween 20 upon the antifungal activities of p-hydroxybenzoic acid esters in solubilized preparations,” Journal of the Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, vol. 76, pp. 939–943, 1956.
- N. Patel and H. B. Kostenbauder, “Interaction of preservatives with macromolecules I: binding of parahydroxybenzoic acid esters by polyoxyethylene 20 sorbitan monooleate (Tween 80),” Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, vol. 47, pp. 289–293, 1958.
- P. Rattanachaikunsopon and P. Phumkhachorn, “Antimicrobial activity of basil (Ocimum basilicum) oil against Salmonella enteritidis in Vitro and in food,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 1200–1204, 2010.
- S. Luqman, G. R. Dwivedi, M. P. Darokar, A. Kalra, and S. P. S. Khanuja, “Potential of Rosemary oil to be used in drug-resistant infections,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 54–59, 2007.
- D. B. Aime, S. D. Arntfield, L. J. Malcolmson, and D. Ryland, “Textural analysis of fat reduced vanilla ice cream products,” Food Research International, vol. 34, no. 2-3, pp. 237–246, 2001.
- Y. Inoue, K. Furuya, M. Matumoto, I. Murata, M. Kimura, and I. Kanamoto, “A comparison of the physicochemical properties and a sensory test of Acyclovir creams,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 436, no. 1-2, pp. 265–271, 2012.
- M. D. Contreras and R. Sanchez, “Application of a factorial design to the study of the flow behavior, spreadability and transparency of a Carbopol ETD 2020 gel. Part II,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 234, no. 1-2, pp. 149–157, 2002.
- N. P. Mahalik and A. N. Nambiar, “Trends in food packaging and manufacturing systems and technology,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 117–128, 2010.