- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 412370, 9 pages
A Pentaplex PCR Assay for the Detection and Differentiation of Shigella Species
1Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Health Campus, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
2Institute for Research in Molecular Medicine (INFORMM), Universiti Sains Malaysia, Health Campus, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Received 23 November 2012; Revised 6 January 2013; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: Arun K. Bhunia
Copyright © 2013 Suvash Chandra Ojha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. L. Bennish and B. J. Wojtyniak, “Mortality due to shigellosis: community and hospital data,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, supplement 4, pp. S245–S251, 1991.
- S. K. Niyogi, “Shigellosis,” Journal of Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 133–143, 2005.
- A. Hiranrattana, J. Mekmullica, T. Chatsuwan, C. Pancharoen, and U. Thisyakorn, “Childhood shigellosis at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand: a 5-year review (1996–2000),” Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 683–685, 2005.
- S. M. Faruque, R. Khan, M. Kamruzzaman et al., “Isolation of Shigella dysenteriae type 1 and S. flexneri strains from surface waters in Bangladesh: comparative molecular analysis of environmental Shigella isolates versus clinical strains,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 3908–3913, 2002.
- K. K. B. Singh, S. C. Ojha, Z. Z. Deris, and R. A. Rahman, “A 9-year study of shigellosis in Northeast Malaysia: antimicrobial susceptibility and shifting species dominance,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 231–236, 2011.
- B. A. Oyofo, M. Lesmana, D. Subekti et al., “Surveillance of bacterial pathogens of diarrhea disease in Indonesia,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2002.
- D. Sur, T. Ramamurthy, J. Deen, and S. K. Bhattacharya, “Shigellosis: challenges & management issues,” The Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 454–462, 2004.
- S. Ashkenazi, “Shigella infections in children: new insights,” Seminars in Pediatric Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 246–252, 2004.
- V. L. Kodati, S. Govindan, S. Movva, S. Ponnala, and Q. Hasan, “Role of Shigella infection in endometriosis: a novel hypothesis,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 239–243, 2008.
- B. R. Warren, M. E. Parish, and K. R. Schneider, “Shigella as a foodborne pathogen and current methods for detection in food,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 551–567, 2006.
- World Health Organization, “Initiative for Vaccine Research (IVR),” in Diarrhoeal Diseases, Shigellosis, 2009, http://www.who.int/vaccine_research/diseases/diarrhoeal/en/index6.html.
- P. O. Ozuah and H. Adam, “Shigella update,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 19, no. 3, p. 100, 1998.
- P. Shears, “Shigella infections,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 105–114, 1996.
- B. Edwards, “Salmonella and Shigella species,” Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 469–487, 1999.
- K. Khalil, S. R. Khan, K. Mazhar, B. Kaijser, and G. B. Lindblom, “Occurrence and susceptibility to antibiotics of Shigella species in stools of hospitalized children with bloody diarrhea in Pakistan,” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 800–803, 1998.
- S. Dutta, A. Chatterjee, P. Dutta et al., “Sensitivity and performance characteristics of a direct PCR with stool samples in comparison to conventional techniques for diagnosis of Shigella and enteroinvasive Escherichia coli infection in children with acute diarrhoea in Calcutta, India,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 667–674, 2001.
- M. S. Islam, M. S. Hossain, M. K. Hasan et al., “Detection of Shigellae from stools of dysentery patients by culture and polymerase chain reaction techniques,” Journal of Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 248–251, 1998.
- H. S. H. Houng, O. Sethabutr, and P. Echeverria, “A simple polymerase chain reaction technique to detect and differentiate Shigella and enteroinvasive Escherichia coli in human feces,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 1997.
- E. Villalobo and A. Torres, “PCR for detection of Shigella spp. in mayonnaise,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 1242–1245, 1998.
- K. L. Thong, S. L. L. Hoe, S. D. Puthucheary, and R. M. Yasin, “Detection of virulence genes in Malaysian Shigella species by multiplex PCR assay,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1–7, 2005.
- GenBank, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.
- GeneDoc, http://www.nrbsc.org/downloads/.
- Molecular Diagnostic Methods for Infectious Diseases, Approved Guideline (CLSI MM3-A2), vol. 26, 2nd edition, 2006.
- R. Schuch and A. T. Maurelli, “Virulence plasmid instability in Shigella flexneri 2a is induced by virulence gene expression,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 3686–3692, 1997.
- K. R. S. Aranda, U. Fagundes-Neto, and I. C. A. Scaletsky, “Evaluation of multiplex PCRs for diagnosis of infection with diarrheagenic Escherichia coli and Shigella spp,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 5849–5853, 2004.
- W. Luo, S. Wang, and X. Peng, “Identification of shiga toxin-producing bacteria by a new immuno-capture toxin gene PCR,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 2002.
- V. D. Thiem, O. Sethabutr, L. von Seidlein et al., “Detection of Shigella by a PCR assay targeting the ipaH gene suggests increased prevalence of shigellosis in Nha Trang, Vietnam,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 2031–2035, 2004.
- X. Peng, W. Luo, J. Zhang, S. Wang, and S. Lin, “Rapid detection of Shigella species in environmental sewage by an immunocapture PCR with universal primers,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 2580–2583, 2002.
- J. Theron, D. Morar, M. Du Preez, V. S. Brözel, and S. N. Venter, “A sensitive seminested PCR method for the detection of Shigella in spiked environmental water samples,” Water Research, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 869–874, 2001.
- M. P. Jackson, “Detection of shiga toxin-producing Shigella dysenteriae type 1 and Escherichia coli by using polymerase chain reaction with incorporation of digoxigenin-11-dUTP,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1910–1914, 1991.
- C. I. B. Kingombe, M. L. Cerqueira-Campos, and J. M. Farber, “Molecular strategies for the detection, identification, and differentiation between enteroinvasive Escherichia coli and Shigella spp,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 239–245, 2005.
- O. Sethabutr, M. Venkatesan, S. Yam et al., “Detection of PCR products of the ipaH gene from Shigella and enteroinvasive Escherichia coli by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2000.
- D. R. Call, “Challenges and opportunities for pathogen detection using DNA microarrays,” Critical Reviews in Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 91–99, 2005.
- M. J. Farfán, T. A. Garay, C. A. Prado, I. Filliol, M. T. Ulloa, and C. S. Toro, “A new multiplex PCR for differential identification of Shigella flexneri and Shigella sonnei and detection of Shigella virulence determinants,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 525–533, 2010.
- O. G. Gómez-Duarte, J. Bai, and E. Newell, “Detection of Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp., Shigella spp., Yersinia enterocolitica, Vibrio cholerae, and Campylobacter spp. enteropathogens by 3-reaction multiplex polymerase chain reaction,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2009.
- L. Rossen, P. Nørskov, K. Holmstrøm, and O. Rasmussen, “Inhibition of PCR by components of food samples, microbial diagnostic assays and DNA-extraction solutions,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 1992.
- I. Wilson, “Inhibition and facilitation of nucleic acid amplification,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 3741–3751, 1997.
- W. I. Taylor and D. Schelhart, “Effect of temperature on transport and plating media for enteric pathogens,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 281–286, 1975.
- M. Yavzori, D. Cohen, R. Wasserlauf, R. Ambar, G. Rechavi, and S. Ashkenazi, “Identification of Shigella species in stool specimens by DNA amplification of different loci of the Shigella virulence plasmid,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 232–237, 1994.