- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 413793, 7 pages
Improved Growth of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus as well as Increased Antioxidant Activity by Biotransforming Litchi Pericarp Polysaccharide with Aspergillus awamori
1Key Laboratory of Plant Resource Conservation and Sustainable Utilization, Agriculture and Resource Plant Center, South China Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510650, China
2College of Life Sciences, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100039, China
3College of Light Industry and Food Sciences, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou 510640, China
4Guelph Food Research Center, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, 93 Stone Road West, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 5C9
5Department of Food, Nutrition and Packaging Sciences, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Received 13 August 2012; Revised 7 November 2012; Accepted 10 December 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas Liehr
Copyright © 2013 Sen Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. A. Schepetkin and M. T. Quinn, “Botanical polysaccharides: macrophage immunomodulation and therapeutic potential,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 317–333, 2006.
- S. H. Yoo, E. J. Yoon, J. Cha, and H. G. Lee, “Antitumor activity of levan polysaccharides from selected microorganisms,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 1-2, pp. 37–41, 2004.
- B. Yang, K. N. Prasad, H. Xie, S. Lin, and Y. Jiang, “Structural characteristics of oligosaccharides from soy sauce lees and their potential prebiotic effect on lactic acid bacteria,” Food Chemistry, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 590–594, 2011.
- Y.-H. Jiang, X.-L. Jiang, P. Wang, and X.-K. Hu, “In vitro antioxidant activities of water-soluble polysaccharides extracted from Isaria farinosa B05,” Journal of Food Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 323–335, 2005.
- M. Otterlei, A. Sundan, G. Skjak-Braek, L. Ryan, O. Smidsrod, and T. Espevik, “Similar mechanisms of action of defined polysaccharides and lipopolysaccharides: characterization of binding and tumor necrosis factor alpha induction,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 1917–1925, 1993.
- F. C. Guo, B. A. Williams, R. P. Kwakkel et al., “Effects of mushroom and herb polysaccharides, as alternatives for an antibiotic, on the cecal microbial ecosystem in broiler chickens,” Poultry Science, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 175–182, 2004.
- Y. Chen, H. Luo, A. Gao, and M. Zhu, “Ultrasound-assisted extraction of polysaccharides from litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) seed by response surface methodology and their structural characteristics,” Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 305–309, 2011.
- F.-L. Kong, M.-W. Zhang, R.-B. Kuang, S.-J. Yu, J.-W. Chi, and Z.-C. Wei, “Antioxidant activities of different fractions of polysaccharide purified from pulp tissue of litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.),” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 612–616, 2010.
- B. Yang, J. Wang, M. Zhao, Y. Liu, W. Wang, and Y. Jiang, “Identification of polysaccharides from pericarp tissues of litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.) fruit in relation to their antioxidant activities,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 341, no. 5, pp. 634–638, 2006.
- M. A. H. M. Al-Tamimi, R. J. Palframan, J. M. Cooper, G. R. Gibson, and R. A. Rastall, “In vitro fermentation of sugar beet arabinan and arabino-oligosaccharides by the human gut microflora,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 407–414, 2006.
- E. Olano-Martin, K. C. Mountzouris, G. R. Gibson, and R. A. Rastall, “In vitro fermentability of dextran, oligodextran and maltodextrin by human gut bacteria,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 247–255, 2000.
- P. Ramnani, R. Chitarrari, K. Tuohy, et al., “In vitro fermentation and prebiotic potential of novel low molecular weight polysaccharides derived from agar and alginate seaweeds,” Anaerobe, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- R. P. de Vries, H. C. M. Kester, C. H. Poulsen, J. A. E. Benen, and J. Visser, “Synergy between enzymes from Aspergillus involved in the degradation of plant cell wall polysaccharides,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 327, no. 4, pp. 401–410, 2000.
- L. M. F. Gottschalk, R. A. Oliveira, and E. P. D. S. Bon, “Cellulases, xylanases, β-glucosidase and ferulic acid esterase produced by Trichoderma and Aspergillus act synergistically in the hydrolysis of sugarcane bagasse,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 51, no. 1-2, pp. 72–78, 2010.
- B. Yang, Y. Jiang, M. Zhao et al., “Structural characterisation of polysaccharides purified from longan (Dimocarpus longan Lour.) fruit pericarp,” Food Chemistry, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 609–614, 2009.
- B. Erbing, P. E. Jansson, G. Widmalm, and W. Nimmich, “Structure of the capsular polysaccharide fron the Klebsiella K8 reference strain 1015,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 273, no. 2, pp. 197–205, 1995.
- L. Guentas, P. Pheulpin, P. Michaud et al., “Structure of a polysaccharide from a Rhizobium species containing 2-deoxy-β-D-arabino-hexuronic acid,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 332, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 2001.
- L. Wen, L. Lin, L. You, B. Yang, G. Jiang, and M. Zhao, “Ultrasound-assited extraction and structural identification of polysaccharides from Isodon Lophanthoides var. Gerardianus (Bentham) H. Hara,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 541–547, 2011.
- C. Sánchez-Moreno, J. A. Larrauri, and F. Saura-Calixto, “A procedure to measure the antiradical efficiency of polyphenols,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 76, pp. 270–276, 1998.
- H. S. Kang, K. R. Kim, E. M. Jun et al., “Cyathuscavins A, B, and C, new free radical scavengers with DNA protection activity from the basidiomycete cyathus stercoreus,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 4047–4050, 2008.
- M. Hermes-Lima, E. Nagy, P. Ponka, and H. M. Schulman, “The iron chelator pyridoxal isonicotinoyl hydrazone (PIH) protects plasmid pUC-18 DNA against ·OH-mediated strand breaks,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 875–880, 1998.
- T. M. Wood and S. I. McCrae, “Arabinoxylan-degrading enzyme system of the fungus Aspergillus awamori: purification and properties of an α-l-arabinofuranosidase,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 538–545, 1996.
- Y. P. Vinetsky, A. M. Rozhkova, A. S. Sereda et al., “Increase in glucoamylase productivity of Aspergillus awamori strain by combination of radiation mutagenesis and plasmid transformation methods,” Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 633–640, 2010.
- B. Seiboth and B. Metz, “Fungal arabinan and L-arabinose metabolism,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1665–1673, 2011.
- Y. Z. Fang, S. Yang, and G. Wu, “Free radicals, antioxidants, and nutrition,” Nutrition, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 872–879, 2002.
- L. Zhang, X. Yang, Y. Zhang, L. Wang, and R. Zhang, “In vitro antioxidant properties of different parts of pomegranate flowers,” Food and Bioproducts Processing, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 234–240, 2011.
- B. Yang, F. Chen, Y. Hua, et al., “Prooxidant activities of quercetin, p-courmaric acid and their derivatives analysed by quantitative structure-activity relationship,” Food Chemistry, vol. 131, pp. 508–512, 2012.
- K. Brudzynski, K. Abubaker, and D. Miotto, “Unraveling a mechanism of honey antibacterial action: polyphenol/H2O2-induced oxidative effect on bacterial cell growth and on DNA degradation,” Food Chemistry, vol. 133, pp. 329–336, 2012.
- M. C. Tsai, T. Y. Song, P. H. Shih, and G. C. Yen, “Antioxidant properties of water-soluble polysaccharides from Antrodia cinnamomea in submerged culture,” Food Chemistry, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 1115–1122, 2007.
- T. G. Pillai, C. K. K. Nair, and K. K. Janardhanan, “Enhancement of repair of radiation induced DNA strand breaks in human cells by Ganoderma mushroom polysaccharides,” Food Chemistry, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 1040–1043, 2010.
- M. Bučková, J. Labuda, J. Šandula, L. V. Križková, I. Štěpánek, and Z. Ďuračková, “Detection of damage to DNA and antioxidative activity of yeast polysaccharides at the DNA-modified screen-printed electrode,” Talanta, vol. 56, pp. 939–947, 2002.
- C. Sun, J. W. Wang, L. Fang, X. D. Gao, and R. X. Tan, “Free radical scavenging and antioxidant activities of EPS2, an exopolysaccharide produced by a marine filamentous fungus Keissleriella sp. YS 4108,” Life Sciences, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 1063–1073, 2004.
- G. R. Gibson, “Dietary modulation of the human gut microflora using prebiotics,” The British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. S209–S212, 1998.