- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 414631, 14 pages
Estimation of Ion Competition via Correlated Responsivity Offset in Linear Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry Analysis: Theory and Practical Use in the Analysis of Cyanobacterial Hepatotoxin Microcystin-LR in Extracts of Food Additives
1Laboratory of Applied System Biology, Institute of Complex Systems (Former Institute of Physical Biology), South Bohemian Research Center of Aquaculture and Biodiversity of Hydrocenoses, Faculty of Fisheries and Protection of Waters, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, Zámek 136, 37333 Nové Hrady, Czech Republic
2Nofima-Norwegian Institute of Food, Fisheries and Aquaculture Research, Osloveien 1, 1430 Ås, Norway
3Department of Phototrophic Microorganisms, Institute of Microbiology, Academy of Science of the Czech Republic, Opatovický mlýn, 373 81 Třeboň, Czech Republic
Received 8 October 2012; Revised 12 December 2012; Accepted 16 January 2013
Academic Editor: Brad Upham
Copyright © 2013 Jan Urban et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Fouquet and L. Charles, “Distinction and quantitation of sugar isomers in ternary mixtures using the kinetic method,” Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2010.
- M. Holčapek, K. Volná, P. Jandera, et al., “Effects of ionpairing reagents on the electrospray signal suppression of sulphonated dyes and intermediates,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 39, pp. 43–50, 2004.
- L. C. Herrera, J. S. Grossert, and L. Ramaley, “Quantitative aspects of and ionization mechanisms in positive-ion atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry,” Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1926–1941, 2008.
- V. Shulaev, “Metabolomics technology and bioinformatics,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 128–139, 2006.
- S. Å. Gustavsson, J. Samskog, K. E. Markides, and B. J. Långström, “Studies of signal suppression in liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry using volatile ion-pairing reagents,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 937, no. 1-2, pp. 41–47, 2001.
- N. Tanaka, K. Nagasaka, and Y. Komatsu, “Selected reaction monitoring by linear ion-trap mass spectrometry can effectively be applicable to simultaneous quantification of multiple peptides,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 135–141, 2011.
- V. Thomsen, D. Schatzlein, and D. Mercuro, “Limits of detection in spectroscopy,” Spectroscopy, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 112–114, 2003.
- J. D. Ingle Jr., “Sensitivity and limit of detection in quantitative spectrometric methods,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 100–105, 1974.
- R. M. Van Wagoner, A. K. Drummond, and J. L. C. Wright, “Biogenetic diversity of cyanobacterial metabolites,” Advances in Applied Microbiology, vol. 61, pp. 89–217, 2007.
- M. Welker, B. Maršálek, L. Šejnohová, and H. von Döhren, “Detection and identification of oligopeptides in Microcystis (cyanobacteria) colonies: toward an understanding of metabolic diversity,” Peptides, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 2090–2103, 2006.
- M. Welker and H. von Döhren, “Cyanobacterial peptides—Nature's own combinatorial biosynthesis,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 530–563, 2006.
- C. Vezie, L. Brient, K. Sivonen, G. Bertru, J. C. Lefeuvre, and M. Salkinoja-Salonen, “Variation of microcystin content of cyanobacterial blooms and isolated strains in Lake Grand-Lieu (France),” Microbial Ecology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 126–135, 1998.
- K. Sivonen, “Cyanobacterial toxins and toxin production,” Phycologia, vol. 35, pp. 12–24, 1996.
- C. MacKintosh, K. A. Beattie, S. Klumpp, P. Cohen, and G. A. Codd, “Cyanobacterial microcystin-LR is a potent and specific inhibitor of protein phosphatases 1 and 2A from both mammals and higher plants,” FEBS Letters, vol. 264, no. 2, pp. 187–192, 1990.
- G. A. Miura, R. D. Leclaire, C. B. Templeton, and J. G. Pace, “Enhanced hepatotoxicity of microcystin in fasted rats,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 2, p. 1351, 1988.
- G. W. A. Nyakairu, C. B. Nagawa, and J. Mbabazi, “Assessment of cyanobacteria toxins in freshwater fish: a case study of Murchison Bay (Lake Victoria) and Lake Mburo, Uganda,” Toxicon, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 939–946, 2010.
- J. An and W. W. Carmichael, “Use of a colorimetric protein phosphatase inhibition assay and enzyme linked immunosorbent assay for the study of microcystins and nodularins,” Toxicon, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1495–1507, 1994.
- F. S. Chu, X. Huang, and R. D. Wei, “Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for microcystins in blue-green algal blooms,” Journal of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 451–456, 1990.
- C. M. McDermott, R. Feola, and J. Plude, “A novel immunoassay for detection of cyanobacterial toxin (microcystin) in water,” Toxicon, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1433–1442, 1995.
- C. Dell'Aversano, G. K. Eaglesham, and M. A. Quilliam, “Analysis of cyanobacterial toxins by hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1028, no. 1, pp. 155–164, 2004.
- K. Karlsson, V. Sipiä, H. Kankaanpää, and J. Meriluoto, “Mass spectrometric detection of nodularin and desmethylnodularin in mussels and flounders,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 784, no. 2, pp. 243–253, 2003.
- J. Urban, J. Vaněk, J. Soukup, and D. Štys, “Expertomica metabolite profiling: getting more information from LC-MS using the stochastic systems approach,” Bioinformatics, vol. 25, no. 20, pp. 2764–2767, 2009.
- G. Glatting, P. Kletting, S. N. Reske, K. Hohl, and C. Ring, “Choosing the optimal fit function: comparison of the Akaike information criterion and the F-test,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 4285–4292, 2007.
- W. Li and D. R. Nyholt, “Marker selection by Akaike information criterion and Bayesian information criterion,” Genetic Epidemiology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. S272–S277, 2001.
- S. Forni, M. Piles, A. Blasco et al., “Comparison of different nonlinear functions to describe Nelore cattle growth,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 496–506, 2009.
- IUPAC, “Compendium of chemical terminology,” in The Gold Book, A. D. McNaught and A. Wilkinson, Eds., Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1997, created by M. Nic, J. Jirat, B. Kosata, updates compiled by A. Jenkins, XML on-line corrected version, 2006, http://goldbook.iupac.org.
- D. A. Armbruster, M. D. Tillman, and L. M. Hubbs, “Limit of detection (LOD)/limit of quantitation (LOQ): comparison of the empirical and the statistical methods exemplified with GC-MS assays of abused drugs,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1233–1238, 1994.
- D. A. Armbruster and T. Pry, “Limit of blank, limit of detection and limit of quantitation,” The Clinical Biochemist Reviews, vol. 29, supplement 1, pp. S49–S52, 2008.
- Analytical detection guidance & Laboratory guide for determining method detection limits, Wisconsin department of natural resources, Laboratory certification program, PUBL-TS-056-96, 1996.
- F. C. Garner and G. L. Robertson, “Evaluation of detection limit estimators,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 53–59, 1988.
- H. van der Voet, “Detection limits,” in Encyclopedia of Environmetrics, A. H. El-Shaarawi and W. W. Piegorsch, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 504–515, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2002.
- A. C. Olivieri, N. M. Faber, J. Ferré, R. Boqué, J. H. Kalivas, and H. Mark, “Guidelines for calibration in analytical chemistry Part 3. Uncertainty estimation and figures of merit for multivariate calibration,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 633–661, 2006.
- R. Boqué, M. S. Larrechi, and F. X. Rius, “Multivariate detection limits with fixed probabilities of error,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 45, no. 1-2, pp. 397–408, 1999.
- J. Reed, “Curve Fitting, Lessons on Introduction to Statistics and Probability,” 2000, http://staff.argyll.epsb.ca/jreed/.
- N. M. Faber and R. Boqué, “Limits of detection in spectroscopy,” Spectroscopy, vol. 18, pp. 112–114, 2003.
- A. N. Berlizov, “Limits of detection in the presence of the correlated background,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 2, pp. 363–370, 2007.