- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 417278, 8 pages
Simultaneous Reduction in Noise and Cross-Contamination Artifacts for Dual-Energy X-Ray CT
1Department of Radiology, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
2Department of Computer Science & Technology, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, Shaanxi 710049, China
3Department of Radiology, Xijing Hospital, Xi’an, Shaanxi 710049, China
4CT System Lab, GE Global Research Center, Schenectady, NY 12309, USA
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 6 June 2013
Academic Editor: Gianluca Pontone
Copyright © 2013 Baojun Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Alvarez and A. MacOvski, “Energy-selective reconstructions in X-ray computerised tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 733–744, 1976.
- H. K. Genant and D. Boyd, “Quantitative bone mineral analysis using dual energy computed tomography,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 545–551, 1977.
- W. A. Kalender, W. H. Perman, J. R. Vetter, and E. Klotz, “Evaluation of a prototype dual-energy computed tomographic apparatus. I. Phantom studies,” Medical Physics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 334–339, 1986.
- J. R. Vetter, W. H. Perman, and W. A. Kalender, “Evaluation of a prototype dual-energy computed tomographic apparatus. II. Determination of vertebral bone mineral content,” Medical Physics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 340–349, 1986.
- S. Sengupta, S. Jha, D. Walter, Y. Du, and E. J. Tkaczyk, “Dual energy for material differentiation in coronary arteries using electron-beam CT,” in Proceedings of the Physics of Medical Imaging, vol. 5745 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 1306–1316, February 2005.
- C. Maaß, M. Baer, and M. Kachelrieß, “Image-based dual energy CT using optimized precorrection functions: a practical new approach of material decomposition in image domain,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 3818–3829, 2009.
- A. Altman and R. Carmi, “A double-layer detector dual-energy CT—principles, advantages and applications,” Medical Physics, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 2750–2750, 2009.
- B. Li, G. Yadava, and J. Hsieh, “Quantification of head and body CTDIVOL of dual-energy x-ray CTwith fast-kVp switching,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 2595–2601, 2011.
- R. J. Warp and J. T. Dobbins III, “Quantitative evaluation of noise reduction strategies in dual-energy imaging,” Medical Physics, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 190–198, 2003.
- S. Richard and J. H. Siewerdsen, “Optimization of dual-energy imaging systems using generalized NEQ and imaging task,” Medical Physics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 127–139, 2007.
- S. Leng, L. Yu, J. Wang, J. G. Fletcher, C. A. Mistretta, and C. H. McCollough, “Noise reduction in spectral CT: reducing dose and breaking the trade-off between image noise and energy bin selection,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 4946–4957, 2011.
- W. A. Kalender, E. Klotz, and L. Kostaridou, “Algorithm for noise suppression in dual energy ct material density images,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 218–224, 1988.
- C. H. McCollough, M. S. Van Lysel, W. W. Peppler, and C. A. Mistretta, “A correlated noise reduction algorithm for dual-energy digital substraction angiography,” Medical Physics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 873–880, 1989.
- D. L. Ergun, C. A. Mistretta, D. E. Brown et al., “Single-exposure dual-energy computed radiography: improved detection and processing,” Radiology, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 243–249, 1990.
- D. A. Hinshaw and J. T. Dobbins III, “Recent progress in noise reduction and scatter correction in dual-energy imaging,” in Proceedings of the Physics of Medical Imaging, pp. 134–142, February 1995.
- S. Richard and J. H. Siewerdsen, “Cascaded systems analysis of noise reduction algorithms in dual-energy imaging,” Medical Physics, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 586–601, 2008.
- J. T. Dobbins and J. R. Wells, “Correlated-polarity noise reduction: feasibility of a new statistical approach to reduce image noise,” in Proceedings of the Physics of Medical Imaging, vol. 7961 of Proceedings of SPIE, February 2011.
- P. Perona and J. Malik, “Scale-space and edge detection using anisotropic diffusion,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 629–639, 1990.
- K. Z. Abd-Elmoniem, A.-B. M. Youssef, and Y. M. Kadah, “Real-time speckle reduction and coherence enhancement in ultrasound imaging via nonlinear anisotropic diffusion,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 997–1014, 2002.
- Y. Yu and S. T. Acton, “Speckle reducing anisotropic diffusion,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1260–1270, 2002.
- K. Krissian and S. Aja-Fernández, “Noise-driven anisotropic diffusion filtering of MRI,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 2265–2274, 2009.
- J. Boone, K. Strauss, D. Cody, C. McCollough, M. McNitt-Gray, and T. Toth, “Size-specific dose estimates (SSDE) in pediatric and adult body CT exams,” Report of AAPM Task Group 204, 2011.