- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 417901, 10 pages
Noninvasive Monitoring of Training Induced Muscle Adaptation with -MRS: Fibre Type Shifts Correlate with Metabolic Changes
1Clinic for Orthopaedics, Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery and Julius Wolff Institute, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin,
10117 Berlin, Germany
2Berlin-Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Medicine, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, 13353 Berlin, Germany
3Institute for Sports Medicine, Humboldt University of Berlin, 10115 Berlin, Germany
4Institute for Cell and Neurobiology, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 2 June 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: P. Bryant Chase
Copyright © 2013 Eike Hoff et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. D'Antona, M. A. Pellegrino, R. Adami et al., “The effect of ageing and immobilization on structure and function of human skeletal muscle fibres,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 552, no. 2, pp. 499–511, 2003.
- R. H. Fitts and J. J. Widrick, “Muscle mechanics: adaptations with exercise-training,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 24, pp. 427–473, 1996.
- J. Weis, S. Nikolin, and K. Nolte, “Neurogenic muscular atrophy and selective fibre type atrophies: groundbreaking findings in the biopsy diagnosis of neuromuscular disease,” Pathologe, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 379–383, 2009.
- Z. Yan, M. Okutsu, Y. N. Akhtar, and V. A. Lira, “Regulation of exercise-induced fiber type transformation, mitochondrial biogenesis, and angiogenesis in skeletal muscle,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 264–274, 2011.
- D. Pette, “The adaptive potential of skeletal muscle fibers,” Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 423–448, 2002.
- D. Pette and R. S. Staron, “Myosin isoforms, muscle fiber types, and transitions,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 50, pp. 500–509, 2000.
- J. P. Folland and A. G. Williams, “The adaptations to strength training: morphological and neurological contributions to increased strength,” Sports Medicine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 145–168, 2007.
- T. A. Kohn, B. Essen-Gustavsson, and K. H. Myburgh, “Exercise pattern influences skeletal muscle hybrid fibers of runners and nonrunners,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1977–1984, 2007.
- Z. Puthucheary, J. R. A. Skipworth, J. Rawal, M. Loosemore, K. Van Someren, and H. E. Montgomery, “Genetic influences in sport and physical performance,” Sports Medicine, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 845–859, 2011.
- E. Blomstrand and B. Ekblom, “The needle biopsy technique for fibre type determination in human skeletal muscle. A methodological study,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 437–442, 1982.
- L. Edstrom, E. Hultman, K. Sahlin, and H. Sjoholm, “The contents of high-energy phosphates in different fibre types in skeletal muscles from rat, guinea-pig and man,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 332, pp. 47–58, 1982.
- C. S. Hintz, M. M. Chi, R. D. Fell et al., “Metabolite changes in individual rat muscle fibers during stimulation,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 242, no. 3, pp. C218–C228, 1982.
- M. J. Kushmerick, T. S. Moerland, and R. W. Wiseman, “Mammalian skeletal muscle fibers distinguished by contents of phosphocreatine, ATP, and P(i),” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 16, pp. 7521–7525, 1992.
- P. Uhrin and T. Liptaj, “ NMR study of phosphorus metabolites in fast and slow muscles,” International Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1133–1138, 1990.
- G. Bernus, J. M. Gonzalez de Suso, J. Alonso, P. A. Martin, J. A. Prat, and C. Arus, “-MRS of quadriceps reveals quantitative differences between sprinters and long-distance runners,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 479–484, 1993.
- L. Johansen and B. Quistorff, “-MRS characterization of sprint and endurance trained athletes,” International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 183–189, 2003.
- K. Vandenborne, G. Walter, L. Ploutz-Snyder et al., “Energy-rich phosphates in slow and fast human skeletal muscle,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 268, no. 4, pp. C869–C876, 1995.
- D. Laurent, H. Reutenauer, J.-F. Payen et al., “Discrimination between cross-country and downhill skiers by pulmonary and local 31PNMR evaluations,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 1993.
- B. M. Guthrie, S. P. Frostick, J. Goodman, D. J. Mikulis, M. J. Plyley, and K. W. Marshall, “Endurance-trained and untrained skeletal muscle bioenergetics observed with magnetic resonance spectroscopy,” Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 251–263, 1996.
- S.-Y. Kuno, S. Katsuta, M. Akisada, I. Anno, and K. Matsumoto, “Effect of strength training on the relationship between magnetic resonance relaxation time and muscle fibre composition,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 61, no. 1-2, pp. 33–36, 1990.
- H. Takahashi, S. Y. Kuno, S. Katsuta et al., “Relationships between fiber composition and NMR measurements in human skeletal muscle,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 9, pp. 8–12, 1996.
- G. Layec, A. Bringard, Y. Le Fur et al., “Reproducibility assessment of metabolic variables characterizing muscle energetics in vivo: a -MRS study,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 840–854, 2009.
- S. J. Nelson, J. S. Taylor, D. B. Vigneron, J. Murphy-Boesch, and T. R. Brown, “Metabolite images of the human arm: changes in spatial and temporal distribution of high energy phosphates during exercise,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 268–273, 1991.
- S. C. Forbes, J. M. Slade, R. M. Francis, and R. A. Meyer, “Comparison of oxidative capacity among leg muscles in humans using gated 2-D chemical shift imaging,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1063–1071, 2009.
- T. A. Butterfield, “Eccentric exercise in vivo: strain-induced muscle damage and adaptation in a stable system,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 51–60, 2010.
- Z. N. Kubukeli, T. D. Noakes, and S. C. Dennis, “Training techniques to improve endurance exercise performances,” Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 489–509, 2002.
- I. Mujika and S. Padilla, “Muscular characteristics of detraining in humans,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1297–1303, 2001.
- R. S. Staron, D. L. Karapondo, W. J. Kraemer et al., “Skeletal muscle adaptations during early phase of heavy-resistance training in men and women,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 1247–1255, 1994.
- P. A. Bottomley and R. Ouwerkerk, “Optimum flip-angles for exciting NMR with uncertain T1 values,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 137–141, 1994.
- L. Wang, N. Salibi, Y. Wu, M. E. Schweitzer, and R. R. Regatte, “Relaxation times of skeletal muscle metabolites at 7T,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1457–1464, 2009.
- M. Meyerspeer, M. Krššák, and E. Moser, “Relaxation times of -metabolites in human calf muscle at 3 T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 620–625, 2003.
- J. D. Bancroft and M. Gamble, Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques, Churchill Livingstone, 5th edition, 2002.
- P. L. Greenhaff, K. Soderlund, J.-M. Ren, and E. Hultman, “Energy metabolism in single human muscle fibres during intermittent contraction with occluded circulation,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 460, pp. 443–453, 1993.
- G. J. Kemp, M. Meyerspeer, and E. Moser, “Absolute quantification of phosphorus metabolite concentrations in human muscle in vivo by MRS: a quantitative review,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 555–565, 2007.
- Y. Liu, A. Schlumberger, K. Wirth, D. Schmidtbleicher, and J. M. Steinacker, “Different effects on human skeletal myosin heavy chain isoform expression: strength vs. combination training,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 2282–2288, 2003.
- M. A. Johnson, J. Polgar, D. Weightman, and D. Appleton, “Data on the distribution of fibre types in thirty-six human muscles. An autopsy study,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 111–129, 1973.
- J. Mäurer, P. Konstanczak, O. Söllner et al., “Muscle metabolism of professional athletes using -spectroscopy,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 73–77, 1999.
- R. A. Meyer, T. R. Brown, and M. J. Kushmerick, “Phosphorus nuclear magnetic resonance of fast- and slow-twitch muscle,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 248, no. 3, pp. C279–C287, 1985.
- R. G. Miller, P. J. Carson, R. S. Moussavi et al., “Factors which influence alterations of phosphates and pH in exercising human skeletal muscle: measurement error, reproducibility, and effects of fasting, carbohydrate loading, and metabolic acidosis,” Muscle & Nerve, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 1995.
- W. Bogner, M. Chmelik, O. C. Andronesi, A. G. Sorensen, S. Trattnig, and S. Gruber, “In vivo spectroscopy by fully adiabatic extended image selected in vivo spectroscopy: a comparison between 3 T and 7 T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 923–930, 2011.
- M. Meyerspeer, S. Robinson, C. I. Nabuurs et al., “Comparing localized and nonlocalized dynamic magnetic resonance spectroscopy in exercising muscle at 7T,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1713–1723, 2012.
- S. K. Phillips, R. W. Wiseman, R. C. Woledge, and M. J. Kushmerick, “The effects of metabolic fuel on force production and resting inorganic phosphate levels in mouse skeletal muscle,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 462, pp. 135–146, 1993.
- I. R. Lanza, S. Bhagra, K. S. Nair, and J. D. Port, “Measurement of human skeletal muscle oxidative capacity by -MR spectroscopy: a cross-validation with in vitro measurements,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1143–1150, 2011.
- B. Simunic, H. Degens, J. Rittweger, M. Narici, I. B. Mekjavic, and R. Pisot, “Noninvasive estimation of myosin heavy chain composition in human skeletal muscle,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 43, pp. 1619–1625, 2011.