- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 417928, 12 pages
Crocus sativus L. (Saffron) Stigma Aqueous Extract Induces Apoptosis in Alveolar Human Lung Cancer Cells through Caspase-Dependent Pathways Activation
1Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Neyshabur Faculty of Medicine, Neyshabur, Iran
2Health Strategic Research Center, Neyshabur Faculty of Medicine, Neyshabur, Iran
3Medical Toxicology Research Centre, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
4Immunology Research Center, Bu-Ali Research Institute, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Received 23 April 2013; Revised 10 July 2013; Accepted 11 July 2013
Academic Editor: Anne Hamburger
Copyright © 2013 Saeed Samarghandian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Li, Y.-Q. Wei, Y.-J. Wen et al., “Induction of apoptosis and tumor regression by vesicular stomatitis virus in the presence of gemcitabine in lung cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 143–149, 2004.
- J. R. Molina, A. A. Adjei, and J. R. Jett, “Advances in chemotherapy of non-small cell lung cancer,” Chest, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 1211–1219, 2006.
- B. A. Chabner and T. G. Roberts Jr., “Chemotherapy and the war on cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, pp. 65–72, 2005.
- J. Brognard, A. S. Clark, Y. Ni, and P. A. Dennis, “Akt/pbotein kinace B is constitutively active in non-small cell lung cancer cells and promotes cellular survival and resistance to chemotherapy and radiation,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 3986–3997, 2001.
- J. L. Rios, M. C. Recio, R. M. Ginger, and S. Manz, “An update review of saffron and its active constituents,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 189–193, 1996.
- F. I. Abdullaev and J. J. Espinosa-Aguirre, “Biomedical properties of saffron and its potential use in cancer therapy and chemoprevention trials,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 426–432, 2004.
- M. Schmidt, G. Betti, and A. Hensel, “Saffron in phytotherapy: pharmacology and clinical uses,” Wiener Medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 157, no. 13-14, pp. 315–319, 2007.
- S. Kianbakht, “A systematic review on pharmacology of saffron and its active constituents,” Journal of Medicinal Plants, vol. 7, no. 28, pp. 1–23, 2008.
- J. Tavakkol-Afshari, A. Brook, and S. H. Mousavi, “Study of cytotoxic and apoptogenic properties of saffron extract in human cancer cell lines,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 3443–3447, 2008.
- L. Sheng, Z. Qian, S. Zheng, and L. Xi, “Mechanism of hypolipidemic effect of crocin in rats: crocin inhibits pancreatic lipase,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 543, no. 1–3, pp. 116–122, 2006.
- H. Hosseinzadeh and V. Khosravan, “Anticonvulsant effects of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Crocus sativus L. stigmas in mice,” Archives of Iranian Medicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 44–47, 2002.
- N. Pitsikas, S. Zisopoulou, P. A. Tarantilis, C. D. Kanakis, M. G. Polissiou, and N. Sakellaridis, “Effects of the active constituents of Crocus sativus L., crocins on recognition and spatial rats' memory,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 183, no. 2, pp. 141–146, 2007.
- A. H. Wyllie, J. F. R. Kerr, and A. R. Currie, “Cell death: the significance of apoptosis,” International Review of Cytology, vol. 68, pp. 251–306, 1980.
- M. Schuchmann and P. R. Galle, “Sensitizing to apoptosis—sharpening the medical sword,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 335–336, 2004.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- P. A. Amstad, G. Yu, G. L. Johnson, B. W. Lee, S. Dhawan, and D. J. Phelps, “Detection of caspase activation in situ by fluorochrome-labeled caspase inhibitors,” BioTechniques, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 608–610, 2001.
- J. C. Reed, “Mechanisms of apoptosis avoidance in cancer,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 1999.
- J. U. Kang, S. H. Koo, K. C. Kwon et al., “High frequency of genetic alterations in non-small cell lung cancer detected by multi-target fluorescence in situ hybridization,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 22, pp. S47–S51, 2007.
- G. L. Alonso, M. R. Salinas, and J. Garijo, “Method to determine the authenticity of aroma of saffron (Crocus sativus L.),” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1525–1528, 1998.
- P. Smolewski, E. Bedner, L. Du, et al., “Detection of caspases activation by fluorochrome-labeled inhibitors: multiparameter analysis by laser scanning cytometry,” Cytometry, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 73–82, 2001.
- B. A. Chabner and T. G. Roberts Jr., “Chemotherapy and the war on cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2005.
- C. Denicourt and S. F. Dowdy, “Targeting apoptotic pathways in cancer cells,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5689, pp. 1411–1413, 2004.
- J.-H. Yoon and G. J. Gores, “Death receptor-mediated apoptosis and the liver,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 400–410, 2002.
- B. Mignotte and J.-L. Vayssiere, “Mitochondria and apoptosis,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 252, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1998.
- M. O. Hengartner and J. A. Bryant, “Apoptotic cell death: from worms to wombats ... but what about the weeds?” Symposia of the Society for Experimental Biology, vol. 52, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- S.-Y. Sun, N. Hail Jr., and R. Lotan, “Apoptosis as a novel target for cancer chemoprevention,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 662–672, 2004.
- C. Scaffidi, S. Fulda, A. Srinivasan et al., “Two CD95 (APO-1/Fas) signaling pathways,” EMBO Journal, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1675–1687, 1998.
- P. Li, D. Nijhawan, I. Budihardjo et al., “Cytochrome c and dATP-dependent formation of Apaf-1/caspase-9 complex initiates an apoptotic protease cascade,” Cell, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 479–489, 1997.
- C. G. Tepper, M. F. Seldin, and M. Mudryj, “Fas-mediated apoptosis of proliferating, transiently growth-arrested, and senescent normal human fibroblasts,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 260, no. 1, pp. 9–19, 2000.
- G. M. Cohen, “Caspases: the executioners of apoptosis,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 326, part 1, pp. 1–16, 1997.
- M. C. Zhang, H. P. Liu, L. L. Demchik, Y. F. Zhai, and D. J. Yang, “Light sensitizes IFNγ-mediated apoptosis of HT-29 human carcinoma cells through both death receptor and mitochondria pathways,” Cell Research, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 117–124, 2004.
- H.-F. Hsu, J.-Y. Houng, C.-F. Kuo, N. Tsao, and Y.-C. Wu, “Glossogin, a novel phenylpropanoid from Glossogyne tenuifolia, induced apoptosis in A549 lung cancer cells,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 3785–3791, 2008.
- Z.-B. Liu, Y.-F. Hou, M.-D. Min-Dong et al., “PA-MSHA inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis through the up-regulation and activation of caspases in the human breast cancer cell lines,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 195–206, 2009.
- P. R. Sharma, D. M. Mondhe, S. Muthiah et al., “Anticancer activity of an essential oil from cymbopogon flexuosus,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 179, no. 2-3, pp. 160–168, 2009.
- V. A. Fadok, D. R. Voelker, P. A. Campbell, J. J. Cohen, D. L. Bratton, and P. M. Henson, “Exposure of phosphatidylserine on the surface of apoptotic lymphocytes triggers specific recognition and removal by macrophages,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 148, no. 7, pp. 2207–2216, 1992.
- I. Vermes, C. Haanen, and C. Reutelingsperger, “Flow cytometry of apoptotic cell death,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 243, no. 1-2, pp. 167–190, 2000.
- G. Makin and J. A. Hickman, “Apoptosis and cancer chemotherapy,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 301, no. 1, pp. 143–152, 2000.
- Q. Liang, W. Li, and B. Zhou, “Caspase-independent apoptosis in yeast,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1783, no. 7, pp. 1311–1319, 2008.
- M. Enari, H. Sakahira, H. Yokoyama, K. Okawa, A. Iwamatsu, and S. A. Nagata, “Caspase-activated DNase that degrades DNA during apoptosis, and its inhibitor ICAD,” Nature, vol. 391, pp. 43–50, 1997.
- N. A. Thornberry and Y. Lazebnik, “Caspases: enemies within,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5381, pp. 1312–1316, 1998.
- S. Samarghandian, M. H. Boskabady, and S. Davoodi, “Use of in vitro assays to assess the potential antiproliferative and cytotoxic effects of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in human lung cancer cell line,” Pharmacognosy Magazine, vol. 6, no. 24, pp. 309–314, 2010.
- S. Samarghandian, J. Tavakkol Afshari, and S. Davoodi, “Suppression of pulmonary tumor promotion and induction of apoptosis by Crocus sativus L. extraction,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 238–247, 2011.
- S. Samarghandian and M. M. Shabestari, “DNA fragmentation and apoptosis induced by safranal in human prostate cancer cell line,” Indian Journal of Urology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 177–183, 2013.
- P. Pozarowski, X. Huang, D. H. Halicka, B. Lee, G. Johnson, and Z. Darzynkiewicz, “Interactions of fluorochrome-labeled caspase inhibitors with apoptotic cells: a caution in data interpretation,” Cytometry, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 2003.
- K. Kuželová, D. Grebeňová, and Z. Hrkal, “Labeling of apoptotic JURL-MK1 cells by fluorescent caspase-3 inhibitor FAM-DEVD-fmk occurs mainly at site(s) different from caspase-3 active site,” Cytometry, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 605–611, 2007.