- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 419256, 9 pages
Expression Pattern of Genes of RLR-Mediated Antiviral Pathway in Different-Breed Chicken Response to Marek’s Disease Virus Infection
1College of Animal Science and Technology, Sichuan Agriculture University, Ya’an, Sichuan 625014, China
2College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agriculture University, Ya’an, Sichuan 625014, China
Received 19 December 2012; Accepted 3 March 2013
Academic Editor: Enrique Medina-Acosta
Copyright © 2013 Ze-Qing Feng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. B. Seth, L. Sun, and Z. J. Chen, “Antiviral innate immunity pathways,” Cell Research, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 141–147, 2006.
- A. Pichlmair and C. Reis e Sousa, “Innate recognition of viruses,” Immunity, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 370–383, 2007.
- T. Kawai and S. Akira, “Innate immune recognition of viral infection,” Nature Immunology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2006.
- M. Yoneyama, M. Kikuchi, T. Natsukawa et al., “The RNA helicase RIG-I has an essential function in double-stranded RNA-induced innate antiviral responses,” Nature Immunology, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 730–737, 2004.
- D. C. Kang, R. V. Gopalkrishnan, Q. Wu, E. Jankowsky, A. M. Pyle, and P. B. Fisher, “mda-5: an interferon-inducible putative RNA helicase with double-stranded RNA-dependent ATPase activity and melanoma growth-suppressive properties,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 637–642, 2002.
- M. Yoneyama, M. Kikuchi, K. Matsumoto et al., “Shared and unique functions of the DExD/H-box helicases RIG-I, MDA5, and LGP2 in antiviral innate immunity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 2851–2858, 2005.
- H. Kato, O. Takeuchi, E. Mikamo-Satoh et al., “Length-dependent recognition of double-stranded ribonucleic acids by retinoic acid-inducible gene-I and melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 205, no. 7, pp. 1601–1610, 2008.
- S. Cui, K. Eisenächer, A. Kirchhofer et al., “The C-terminal regulatory domain is the RNA -triphosphate sensor of RIG-I,” Molecular Cell, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 169–179, 2008.
- M. Yoneyama and T. Fujita, “Function of RIG-I-like receptors in antiviral innate immunity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 21, pp. 15315–15318, 2007.
- V. Hornung, J. Ellegast, S. Kim et al., “-Triphosphate RNA is the ligand for RIG-I,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5801, pp. 994–997, 2006.
- A. Pichlmair, O. Schulz, C. P. Tan et al., “RIG-I-mediated antiviral responses to single-stranded RNA bearing -phosphates,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5801, pp. 997–1001, 2006.
- R. B. Seth, L. Sun, C. K. Ea, and Z. J. Chen, “Identification and characterization of MAVS, a mitochondrial antiviral signaling protein that activates NF-κB and IRF3,” Cell, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 669–682, 2005.
- L. G. Xu, Y. Y. Wang, K. J. Han, L. Y. Li, Z. Zhai, and H. B. Shu, “VISA is an adapter protein required for virus-triggered IFN-β signaling,” Molecular Cell, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 727–740, 2005.
- E. Meylan, J. Curran, K. Hofmann et al., “Cardif is an adaptor protein in the RIG-I antiviral pathway and is targeted by hepatitis C virus,” Nature, vol. 437, no. 7062, pp. 1167–1172, 2005.
- M. R. W. Barber, J. R. Aldridge, R. G. Webster, and K. E. Magor, “Association of RIG-I with innate immunity of ducks to influenza,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 13, pp. 5913–5918, 2010.
- M. Liniger, A. Summerfield, G. Zimmer, K. C. McCullough, and N. Ruggli, “Chicken cells sense influenza A virus infection through MDA5 and CARDIF-signaling involving LGP2,” Journal of Virology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 705–717, 2012.
- A. J. Karpala, C. Stewart, J. McKay, J. W. Lowenthal, and A. G. D. Bean, “Characterization of chicken Mda5 activity: regulation of IFN-β in the absence of RIG-I functionality,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 186, no. 9, pp. 5397–5405, 2011.
- B. W. Calnek, “Pathogenesis of Marek's disease virus infection,” Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 255, pp. 25–55, 2000.
- J. Burnside and R. W. Morgan, “Genomics and Marek's disease virus,” Cytogenetic and Genome Research, vol. 117, no. 1–4, pp. 376–387, 2007.
- N. Osterrieder, J. P. Kamil, D. Schumacher, B. K. Tischer, and S. Trapp, “Marek's disease virus: from miasma to model,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 283–294, 2006.
- S. J. Baigent, L. P. Smith, V. K. Nair, and R. J. W. Currie, “Vaccinal control of Marek's disease: current challenges, and future strategies to maximize protection,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 112, no. 1-2, pp. 78–86, 2006.
- Z. Xing and K. A. Schat, “Expression of cytokine genes in Marek's disease virus-infected chickens and chicken embryo fibroblast cultures,” Immunology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2000.
- M. F. Abdul-Careem, K. Haq, S. Shanmuganathan et al., “Induction of innate host responses in the lungs of chickens following infection with a very virulent strain of Marek's disease virus,” Virology, vol. 393, no. 2, pp. 250–257, 2009.
- M. F. Abdul-Careem, B. D. Hunter, L. F. Lee et al., “Host responses in the bursa of Fabricius of chickens infected with virulent Marek's disease virus,” Virology, vol. 379, no. 2, pp. 256–265, 2008.
- M. F. Abdul-Careem, B. D. Hunter, A. J. Sarson, A. Mayameei, H. Zhou, and S. Sharif, “Marek's disease virus-induced transient paralysis is associated with cytokine gene expression in the nervous system,” Viral Immunology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 167–176, 2006.
- P. Kaiser, G. Underwood, and F. Davison, “Differential cytokine responses following Marek's disease virus infection of chickens differing in resistance to Marek's disease,” Journal of Virology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 762–768, 2003.
- K. W. Jarosinski, B. L. Njaa, P. H. O'Connell, and K. A. Schat, “Pro-inflammatory responses in chicken spleen and brain tissues after infection with very virulent plus Marek's disease virus,” Viral Immunology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 148–161, 2005.
- P. Quéré, C. Rivas, K. Ester, R. Novak, and W. L. Ragland, “Abundance of IFN-α and IFN-γ mRNA in blood of resistant and susceptible chickens infected with Marek's disease virus (MDV) or vaccinated with turkey herpesvirus; and MDV inhibition of subsequent induction of IFN gene transcription,” Archives of Virology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 507–519, 2005.
- L. D. Bacon, H. D. Hunt, and H. H. Cheng, “Genetic resistance to Marek's disease,” Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 255, pp. 121–141, 2001.
- L. D. Bacon, H. D. Hunt, and H. H. Cheng, “A review of the development of chicken lines to resolve genes determining resistance to diseases,” Poultry Science, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 1082–1093, 2000.
- R. L. Vallejo, L. D. Bacon, H. C. Liu et al., “Genetic mapping of quantitative trait loci affecting susceptibility to Marek's disease virus induced tumors in F2 intercross chickens,” Genetics, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 349–360, 1998.
- J. P. McElroy, J. C. M. Dekkers, J. E. Fulton et al., “Microsatellite markers associated with resistance to Marek's disease in commercial layer chickens,” Poultry Science, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 1678–1688, 2005.
- H. Cheng, M. Niikura, T. Kim et al., “Using integrative genomics to elucidate genetic resistance to Marek's disease in chickens,” Developments in Biologicals, vol. 132, pp. 365–372, 2008.
- M. F. Abdul-Careem, L. R. Read, P. Parvizi, N. Thanthrige-Don, and S. Sharif, “Marek's disease virus-induced expression of cytokine genes in feathers of genetically defined chickens,” Developmental and Comparative Immunology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 618–623, 2009.
- M. Schlee, E. Hartmann, C. Coch et al., “Approaching the RNA ligand for RIG-I?” Immunological Reviews, vol. 227, no. 1, pp. 66–74, 2009.
- J. Melchjorsen, J. Rintahaka, S. Søby et al., “Early innate recognition of herpes simplex virus in human primary macrophages is mediated via the MDA5/MAVS-dependent and MDA5/MAVS/RNA polymerase III-independent pathways,” Journal of Virology, vol. 84, no. 21, pp. 11350–11358, 2010.
- F. Weber, V. Wagner, S. B. Rasmussen, R. Hartmann, and S. R. Paludan, “Double-stranded RNA is produced by positive-strand RNA viruses and DNA viruses but not in detectable amounts by negative-strand RNA viruses,” Journal of Virology, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 5059–5064, 2006.
- Y. H. Chiu, J. B. MacMillan, and Z. J. Chen, “RNA polymerase III detects cytosolic DNA and induces type I interferons through the RIG-I pathway,” Cell, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 576–591, 2009.
- M. K. Choi, Z. Wang, T. Ban et al., “A selective contribution of the RIG-I-like receptor pathway to type I interferon responses activated by cytosolic DNA,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 42, pp. 17870–17875, 2009.
- A. Ablasser, F. Bauernfeind, G. Hartmann, E. Latz, K. A. Fitzgerald, and V. Hornung, “RIG-I-dependent sensing of poly(dA:dT) through the induction of an RNA polymerase III-transcribed RNA intermediate,” Nature Immunology, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1065–1072, 2009.
- C. E. Grant, M. Z. Vasa, and R. G. Deeley, “cIRF-3, a now member of the interferon regulatory factor (IRF) family that is rapidly and transiently induced by dsRNA,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 2137–2146, 1995.
- L. Zhang and J. S. Pagano, “IRF-7, a new interferon regulatory factor associated with Epstein-Barr virus latency,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 5748–5757, 1997.
- K. Honda, H. Yanai, H. Negishi et al., “IRF-7 is the master regulator of type-I interferon-dependent immune responses,” Nature, vol. 434, no. 7034, pp. 772–777, 2005.
- K. Honda and T. Taniguchi, “IRFs: master regulators of signalling by Toll-like receptors and cytosolic pattern-recognition receptors,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 644–658, 2006.
- R. Kano, S. Konnai, M. Onuma, and K. Ohashi, “Cytokine profiles in chickens infected with virulent and avirulent Marek's disease viruses: interferon-gamma is a key factor in the protection of Marek's disease by vaccination,” Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 224–232, 2009.
- K. W. Jarosinski, W. Jia, M. J. Sekellick, P. I. Marcus, and K. A. Schat, “Cellular responses in chickens treated with IFN-α orally or inoculated with recombinant Marek's disease virus expressing IFN-α,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 287–296, 2001.