- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 424280, 6 pages
Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy and Suicide: A Systematic Review
1Departments of Psychiatry, Neurology, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) 19 Mental Illness, Research, Education and Clinical Center, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
2Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80045, USA
3Department of Psychology, Marshall University, Huntington, WV 25755, USA
Received 28 May 2013; Accepted 6 October 2013
Academic Editor: Lap Ho
Copyright © 2013 Hal S. Wortzel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. S. Martland, “Punch Drunk,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 91, pp. 1103–1107, 1928.
- L. E. Goldstein, A. M. Fisher, C. A. Tagge, et al., “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in blast-exposed military veterans and a blast neurotrauma mouse model,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 4, no. 134, article 134ra60, 2012.
- B. Omalu, J. Bailes, R. L. Hamilton et al., “Emerging histomorphologic phenotypes of chronic traumatic encephalopathy in american athletes,” Neurosurgery, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 173–183, 2011.
- A. C. McKee, R. C. Cantu, C. J. Nowinski et al., “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in athletes: progressive tauopathy after repetitive head injury,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 709–735, 2009.
- A. C. McKee, T. D. Stein, C. J. Nowinski, et al., “The spectrum of disease in chronic traumatic encephalopathy,” Brain, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 43–64, 2012.
- B. Omalu, J. L. Hammers, J. Bailes et al., “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in an Iraqi war veteran with posttraumatic stress disorder who committed suicide,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 31, no. 5, article E3, 2011.
- B. I. Omalu, J. Bailes, J. L. Hammers, and R. P. Fitzsimmons, “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, suicides and parasuicides in professional American athletes: the role of the forensic pathologist,” American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 130–132, 2010.
- B. I. Omalu, S. T. DeKosky, R. L. Hamilton et al., “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in a National Football League player—part II,” Neurosurgery, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1086–1092, 2006.
- B. I. Omalu, S. T. DeKosky, R. L. Minster, M. I. Kamboh, R. L. Hamilton, and C. H. Wecht, “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in a National Football League player,” Neurosurgery, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 128–134, 2005.
- B. I. Omalu, R. P. Fitzsimmons, J. Hammers, and J. Bailes, “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in a professional American wrestler,” Journal of Forensic Nursing, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 130–136, 2010.
- B. I. Omalu, R. L. Hamilton, M. I. Kamboh, S. T. DeKosky, and J. Bailes, “Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (cte) in a national football league player: case report and emerging medicolegal practice questions,” Journal of Forensic Nursing, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2010.
- H. Wortzel, L. A. Breneer, and D. B. Arciniegas, “Traumatic brain injury and chronic traumatic encephalopathy: a forensic neuropsychiatric perspective,” Behavioral Sciences & The Law, 2013.
- H. S. Wortzel and D. B. Arciniegas, “A forensic neuropsychiatric approach to traumatic brain injury, aggression, and suicide,” Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 274–286, 2013.
- A. Schwarz, Duerson's Brain Trauma Diagnosed, The New York Times, 2011.
- N. D. Kristof, Veterans and Brain Disease, New York Times, 2012.
- L. A. Brenner, R. E. Breshears, L. M. Betthauser et al., “Implementation of a suicide nomenclature within two VA healthcare settings,” Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 116–128, 2011.
- G. A. Wells, B. Shea, D. O'Connell et al., The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for Assessing the Quality of Nonrandomised Studies in Meta-Analyses, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada, 2013.
- L. Hartling, K. Bond, K. Harvey, P. L. Santaguida, M. Viswananthan, and D. M. Dryden, Methods Research Report: Developing and Testing a Tool for the Classification of Study Designs in Systematic Reviews of Interventions and Exposures, AHRQ Publication No. 11-EHC-007, 2013.
- H. Balshem, M. Helfand, H. J. Schünemann et al., “GRADE guidelines: 3. Rating the quality of evidence,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 401–406, 2011.
- S. L. Baron, M. J. Hein, E. Lehman, and C. M. Gersic, “Body mass index, playing position, race, and the cardiovascular mortality of retired professional football players,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 889–896, 2012.
- J. P. Granier, S. McNamee, D. X. Cifu, and G. Goldberg, “Leaping too far too soon,” AJOB Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 60–61, 2011.
- L. A. Brenner, R. V. Ignacio, and F. C. Blow, “Suicide and traumatic brain injury among individuals seeking veterans health administration services,” Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 257–264, 2011.
- J. M. Silver, R. Kramer, S. Greenwald, and M. Weissman, “The association between head injuries and psychiatric disorders: findings from the New Haven NIMH Epidemiologic Catchment Area Study,” Brain Injury, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 935–945, 2001.
- G. K. Simpson and R. L. Tate, “Suicidality in people surviving a traumatic brain injury: prevalence, risk factors and implications for clinical management,” Brain Injury, vol. 21, no. 13-14, pp. 1335–1351, 2007.