- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 424358, 6 pages
Chronic Exposure to Cadmium Disrupts the Adrenal Gland Activity of the Newt Triturus carnifex (Amphibia, Urodela)
1Department of Biology, University Federico II, Via Mezzocannone 8, 80134 Naples, Italy
2Department of Chemistry and Biology, University of Salerno, Fisciano, 84084 Salerno, Italy
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 4 July 2013; Accepted 7 July 2013
Academic Editor: Claudia Gragnoli
Copyright © 2013 Flaminia Gay et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. James and E. E. Little, “The effects of chronic cadmium exposure on American toad (Bufo americanus) tadpoles,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 377–380, 2003.
- N. S. Loumbourdis, “Hepatotoxic and nephrotoxic effects of Cadmium in the frog Rana ridibunda,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 79, no. 8, pp. 434–440, 2005.
- A. K. Vogiatzis and N. S. Loumbourdis, “Uptake, tissue distribution, and depuration of cadmium (Cd) in the frog Rana ridibunda,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 770–776, 1997.
- Z. L. He, X. E. Yang, and P. J. Stoffella, “Trace elements in agroecosystems and impacts on the environment,” Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology, vol. 19, no. 2-3, pp. 125–140, 2005.
- T. S. Nawrot, J. A. Staessen, H. A. Roels et al., “Cadmium exposure in the population: from health risks to strategies of prevention,” BioMetals, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 769–782, 2010.
- W. C. Prozialeck and J. R. Edwards, “Early biomarkers of cadmium exposure and nephrotoxicity,” BioMetals, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 793–809, 2010.
- N. M. Belmonte, O. E. Rivera, and J. Herkovits, “Zinc protection against cadmium effects on preimplantation mice embryos,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 107–110, 1989.
- A. Fein, A. Torchinsky, M. Pinchasov, N. Katz, V. Toder, and J. Herkovits, “Cadmium embryotoxicity: evidence of a direct effect of cadmium on early rat embryos,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 520–524, 1997.
- C. S. Pérez-Coll and J. Herkovits, “Stage-dependent uptake of cadmium by Bufo arenarum embryos,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 663–669, 1996.
- D. Soukupová and M. Dostál, “Developmental toxicity of cadmium in mice. I. Embryotoxic effects,” Functional and Developmental Morphology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 3–9, 1991.
- S. Flament, S. Kuntz, A. Chesnel et al., “Effect of cadmium on gonadogenesis and metamorphosis in Pleurodeles waltl (urodele amphibian),” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 143–153, 2003.
- O. Fridman, L. Corró, and J. Herkovits, “Estradiol uptake, toxicity, metabolism, and adverse effects on cadmium-treated amphibian embryos,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 112, no. 8, pp. 862–866, 2004.
- S. M. James, E. E. Little, and R. D. Semlitsch, “Metamorphosis of two amphibian species after chronic cadmium exposure in outdoor aquatic mesocosms,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1994–2001, 2005.
- J. A. Gross, T.-H. Chen, and W. H. Karasov, “Lethal and sublethal effects of chronic cadmium exposure on northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens) tadpoles,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1192–1197, 2007.
- H. B. Pratap and S. E. W. Bonga, “Effects of water-borne cadmium on plasma cortisol and glucose in the cichlid fish Oreochromis mossambicus,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 313–317, 1990.
- E. M. Sorensen, Cadmium. Metal Poisoning in Fish, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1991.
- A. Hontela, “Endocrine and physiological responses of fish to xenobiotics: role of glucocorticosteroid hormones,” Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 1, no. 5-6, pp. 1–46, 1997.
- F. Mouchet, M. Baudrimont, P. Gonzalez et al., “Genotoxic and stress inductive potential of cadmium in Xenopus laevis larvae,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 157–166, 2006.
- F. Mouchet, L. Gauthier, M. Baudrimont et al., “Comparative evaluation of the toxicity and genotoxicity of cadmium in amphibian larvae (Xenopus laevis and Pleurodeles waltl) using the comet assay and the micronucleus test,” Environmental Toxicology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 422–435, 2007.
- N. S. Loumbourdis, I. Kostaropoulos, B. Theodoropoulou, and D. Kalmanti, “Heavy metal accumulation and metallothionein concentration in the frog Rana ridibunda after exposure to chromium or a mixture of chromium and cadmium,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 145, no. 3, pp. 787–792, 2007.
- N. S. Loumbourdis and A. K. Vogiatzis, “Impact of cadmium on liver pigmentary system of the frog Rana ridibunda,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 52–58, 2002.
- D. E. Kime, “The effect of cadmium on steroidogenesis by testes of the rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 83–88, 1984.
- P. Garcia-Morales, M. Saceda, N. Kenney et al., “Effect of cadmium on estrogen receptor levels and estrogen-induced responses in human breast cancer cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 24, pp. 16896–16901, 1994.
- R. le Guével, F. G. Petit, P. le Goff, R. Métivier, Y. Valotaire, and F. Pakdel, “Inhibition of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) estrogen receptor activity by cadmium,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 259–266, 2000.
- M. B. Martin, H. J. Voeller, E. P. Gelmann et al., “Role of cadmium in the regulation of AR gene expression and activity,” Endocrinology, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 263–275, 2002.
- V. S. Leblond and A. Hontela, “Effects of in vitro exposures to cadmium, mercury, zinc, and 1-(2- chlorophenyl)-1-(4-chlorophenyl)-2,2-dichloroethane on steroidogenesis by dispersed interrenal cells of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss),” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 1999.
- A. Lacroix and A. Hontela, “A comparative assessment of the adrenotoxic effects of cadmium in two teleost species, rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, and yellow perch, Perca flavescens,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2004.
- D. O. Norris, S. Donahue, R. M. Dores et al., “Impaired adrenocortical response to stress by brown trout, Salmo trutta, living in metal-contaminated waters of the Eagle River, Colorado,” General and Comparative Endocrinology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1999.
- S. Audry, G. Blanc, and J. Schäfer, “Cadmium transport in the Lot-Garonne River system (France)—temporal variability and a model for flux estimation,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 319, no. 1–3, pp. 197–213, 2004.
- European Union, Council Directive 98/83/EC of 3 November 1998 on the quality of water intended for human consumption (OJ L 330, 5. 12. 1998, p. 32).
- Italian Ministry of Health, Legislative decree of 2 February 2001, n. 31. Accomplishment of Council Directive 98/83/EC of 3 November 1998 on the quality of water intended for human consumption.
- A. Capaldo, F. Gay, M. de Falco et al., “The newt Triturus carnifex as a model for monitoring the ecotoxic impact of the fungicide thiophanate methyl: adverse effects on the adrenal gland,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 86–93, 2006.
- A. Capaldo, F. Gay, S. Valiante et al., “Endocrine-disrupting effects of nonylphenol in the newt, Triturus carnifex (Amphibia, Urodela),” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 352–358, 2012.
- D. O. Norris, Vertebrate Endocrinology, Academic Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 4th edition, 2007.
- I. T. Moore and T. S. Jessop, “Stress, reproduction, and adrenocortical modulation in amphibians and reptiles,” Hormones and Behavior, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2003.
- V. Laforgia and A. Capaldo, “Annual cycle of the chromaffin cells of Triturus cristatus,” Journal of Morphology, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 83–90, 1991.
- F. Gay, S. Valiante, R. Sciarrillo, M. de Falco, V. Laforgia, and A. Capaldo, “Annual and daily serum aldosterone and catecholamine patterns in males of the Italian crested newt, Triturus carnifex (Amphibia, Urodela),” Italian Journal of Zoology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 384–390, 2010.
- M. Zerani and A. Gobbetti, “Corticosterone during the annual reproductive cycle and in sexual behavior in the crested newt, Triturus carnifex,” Hormones and Behavior, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 1993.
- F. Gay, V. Laforgia, and A. Capaldo, “Human follicle-stimulating hormone modulation of adrenal gland activity in the Italian crested newt, Triturus carnifex (Amphibia, Urodela),” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 126–132, 2008.
- A. Capaldo, M. De Falco, V. Laforgia, and F. Gay, “Morphological and functional evidence of paracrine interactions in the adrenal gland of the newt Triturus carnifex,” in Recent Advances in Non-Mammalian Adrenal Gland Research, A. Capaldo, Ed., pp. 223–242, Research Signpost, Kerala, India, 2008.
- S. Nishiyama and K. Nakamura, “Effect of cadmium on plasma aldosterone and serum corticosterone concentrations in male rats,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 420–425, 1984.
- A. Capaldo, F. Gay, S. Valiante, V. Laforgia, and L. Varano, “Effects of adrenaline administration on the interrenal gland of the newt, Triturus carnifex: evidence of intraadrenal paracrine interactions,” Journal of Morphology, vol. 261, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2004.
- R. A. Goyer, M. G. Cherian, N. M. Jones, and J. R. Reigart, “Role of chelating agents for prevention, intervention, and treatment of exposures to toxic metals,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 1048–1052, 1995.
- R. B. Rastogi and R. L. Singhal, “Effect of chronic cadmium treatment on rat adrenal catecholamines,” Endocrine Research Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 87–94, 1975.
- T. S. Gill and A. Epple, “Effects of cadmium on plasma catecholamines in the American eel, Anguilla rostrata,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 107–117, 1992.