- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 426208, 7 pages
Early Continence Recovery after Preservation of Maximal Urethral Length until the Level of Verumontanum during Radical Prostatectomy: Primary Oncological and Functional Outcomes after 1 Year of Follow-Up
Urology Department, Patras University Hospital, Building A, 4th Floor, Rion, 26500 Patras, Greece
Received 3 April 2013; Revised 14 August 2013; Accepted 19 August 2013
Academic Editor: Seiichi Saito
Copyright © 2013 Stavros Sfoungaristos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Heidenreich, J. Bellmunt, M. Bolla et al., “EAU guidelines on prostate cancer—part 1: screening, diagnosis, and treatment of clinically localised disease,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 61–71, 2011.
- P. C. Walsh, H. Lepor, and J. C. Eggleston, “Radical prostatectomy with preservation of sexual function: anatomical and pathological considerations,” Prostate, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 473–485, 1983.
- E. Sacco, T. Prayer-Galetti, F. Pinto et al., “Urinary incontinence after radical prostatectomy: incidence by definition, risk factors and temporal trend in a large series with a long-term follow-up,” The British Journal of Urology International, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1234–1241, 2006.
- F. Atug, A. R. Kural, I. Tufek, S. Srivastav, and H. Akpinar, “Anterior and posterior reconstruction technique and its impact on early return of continence after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 381–386, 2012.
- X. Hurtes, M. Rouprêt, C. Vaessen et al., “Anterior suspension combined with posterior reconstruction during robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy improves early return of urinary continence: a prospective randomized multicentre trial,” The British Journal of Urology International, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 875–883, 2012.
- B. Rocco, G. Cozzi, M. G. Spinelli et al., “Posterior musculofascial reconstruction after radical prostatectomy: a systematic review of the literature,” European Urology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 779–790, 2012.
- A. Mottrie, A. Gallina, P. de Wil, D. Thüer, G. Novara, and V. Ficarra, “Balancing continence function and oncological outcomes during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy (RARP),” The British Journal of Urology International, vol. 108, no. 6 B, pp. 999–1006, 2011.
- Y. C. You, T. H. Kim, and G. T. Sung, “Effect of bladder neck preservation and posterior urethral reconstruction during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy for urinary continence,” Korean Journal of Urology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 2012.
- M. Graefen, “Editorial Comment on: recovery of urinary continence after radical prostatectomy: association with urethral length and urethral fibrosis measured by preoperative and postoperative endorectal magnetic resonance imaging,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 3, p. 638, 2009.
- P. C. Walsh and P. J. Donker, “Impotence following radical prostatectomy: insight into etiology and prevention,” Journal of Urology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 492–497, 1982.
- T. M. Kessler, F. C. Burkhard, and U. E. Studer, “Nerve-sparing open radical retropubic prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 90–97, 2007.
- G. Coughlin, P. P. Dangle, N. N. Patil et al., “Modified posterior reconstruction of the rhabdosphincter: application to robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy,” The British Journal of Urology International, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1482–1485, 2008.
- R. M. Bauer, P. J. Bastian, C. Gozzi, and C. G. Stief, “Postprostatectomy incontinence: all about diagnosis and management,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 322–333, 2009.
- S. J. Jeong, J. Yi, M. S. Chung et al., “Early recovery of urinary continence after radical prostatectomy: correlation with vesico-urethral anastomosis location in the pelvic cavity measured by postoperative cystography,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 444–451, 2011.
- G. Tan, Y. El Douaihy, A. E. Te, and A. K. Tewari, “Scientific and technical advances in continence recovery following radical prostatectomy,” Expert Review of Medical Devices, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 431–453, 2009.
- J. S. Sandhu and J. A. Eastham, “Factors predicting early return of continence after radical prostatectomy,” Current Urology Reports, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 191–197, 2010.
- A. Razi, S. R. Yahyazadeh, M. A. S. Gilani, and S. M. Kazemeyni, “Bladder neck preservation during radical retropubic prostatectomy and postoperative urinary continence,” Urology Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 22–26, 2009.
- T. Sano, M. Nakashima, T. Haitani, Y. Kajita, and Y. Shichiri, “Posterior musculofascial plate reconstruction promotes early restoration of continence and prevents severe incontinence in patients undergoing laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 475–479, 2012.
- V. Ficarra, G. Novara, R. C. Rosen et al., “Systematic review and meta-analysis of studies reporting urinary continence recovery after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 405–417, 2012.
- N. Koliakos, A. Mottrie, N. Buffi, G. de Naeyer, P. Willemsen, and E. Fonteyne, “Posterior and anterior fixation of the urethra during robotic prostatectomy improves early continence rates,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2010.
- A. Srivastava, A. Peyser, S. Gruschow, N. Harneja, K. Jiskrova, and A. K. Tewari, “Surgical strategies to promote early continence recovery after robotic radical prostatectomy,” Archivos Españoles de Urología, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 529–541, 2012.
- A. A. Vora, D. Dajani, J. H. Lynch, and K. J. Kowalczyk, “Anatomic and technical considerations for optimizing recovery of urinary function during robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 78–87, 2013.
- S. C. Kim, C. Song, W. Kim et al., “Factors determining functional outcomes after radical prostatectomy: robot-assisted versus retropubic,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 413–419, 2011.
- J. Stolzenburg, E. N. Liatsikos, R. Rabenalt et al., “Nerve sparing endoscopic extraperitoneal radical prostatectomy—effect of puboprostatic ligament preservation on early continence and positive margins,” European Urology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 103–111, 2006.
- J. U. Stolzenburg, R. Rabenalt, A. Tannapfel, and E. N. Liatsikos, “Intrafascial nerve-sparing endoscopic extraperitoneal radical prostatectomy,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 2006.
- J. Walz, A. L. Burnett, A. J. Costello et al., “A critical analysis of the current knowledge of surgical anatomy related to optimization of cancer control and preservation of continence and erection in candidates for radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 179–192, 2010.
- P. Paparel, O. Akin, J. S. Sandhu et al., “Recovery of urinary continence after radical prostatectomy: association with urethral length and urethral fibrosis measured by preoperative and postoperative endorectal magnetic resonance imaging,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 629–639, 2009.
- R. Miano, F. J. Kim, C. de Nunzio et al., “Morphological evaluation of the male external urethral sphincter complex by transrectal ultrasound: feasibility study and potential clinical applications,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 275–282, 2012.
- T. Schlomm, H. Heinzer, T. Steuber et al., “Full functional-length urethral sphincter preservation during radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 320–329, 2011.