- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 428247, 8 pages
Regenerative Medicine for the Cornea
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2-2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 21 August 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013
Academic Editor: Ryuichi Morishita
Copyright © 2013 Yoshinori Oie and Kohji Nishida. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. Rapuano, J. A. Fishbaugh, and D. J. Strike, “Nine point corneal thickness measurements and keratometry readings in normal corneas using ultrasound pachymetry,” Insight, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 16–22, 1993.
- A. Schermer, S. Galvin, and T. T. Sun, “Differentiation-related expression of a major 64K corneal keratin in vivo and in culture suggests limbal location of corneal epithelial stem cells,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 49–62, 1986.
- G. Cotsarelis, S. Z. Cheng, G. Dong, T. T. Sun, and R. M. Lavker, “Existence of slow-cycling limbal epithelial basal cells that can be preferentially stimulated to proliferate: implications on epithelial stem cells,” Cell, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 201–209, 1989.
- G. Pellegrini, P. Rama, F. Mavilio, and M. De Luca, “Epithelial stem cells in corneal regeneration and epidermal gene therapy,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 217–228, 2009.
- R. A. Thoft and J. Friend, “The X, Y, Z hypothesis of corneal epithelial maintenance,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1442–1443, 1983.
- U. Schlötzer-Schrehardt and F. E. Kruse, “Identification and characterization of limbal stem cells,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 247–264, 2005.
- R. Hayashi, M. Yamato, H. Sugiyama et al., “N-cadherin is expressed by putative stem/progenitor cells and melanocytes in the human limbal epithelial stem cell niche,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 289–296, 2007.
- R. Hayashi, M. Yamato, T. Saito et al., “Enrichment of corneal epithelial stem/progenitor cells using cell surface markers, integrin α6 and CD71,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 367, no. 2, pp. 256–263, 2008.
- K. Watanabe, K. Nishida, M. Yamato et al., “Human limbal epithelium contains side population cells expressing the ATP-binding cassette transporter ABCG2,” FEBS Letters, vol. 565, no. 1–3, pp. 6–10, 2004.
- H. S. Dua, V. A. Shanmuganathan, A. O. Powell-Richards, P. J. Tighe, and A. Joseph, “Limbal epithelial crypts: a novel anatomical structure and a putative limbal stem cell niche,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 529–532, 2005.
- V. A. Shanmuganathan, T. Foster, B. B. Kulkarni et al., “Morphological characteristics of the limbal epithelial crypt,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 514–519, 2007.
- M. F. Goldberg and A. J. Bron, “Limbal palisades of Vogt,” Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society, vol. 80, pp. 155–171, 1982.
- K. Nishida, “Tissue engineering of the cornea,” Cornea, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. S28–S34, 2003.
- K. R. Kenyon and S. C. G. Tseng, “Limbal autograft transplantation for ocular surface disorders,” Ophthalmology, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 709–723, 1989.
- J. J. Y. Chen and S. C. G. Tseng, “Corneal epithelial wound healing in partial limbal deficiency,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1301–1314, 1990.
- H. S. Dua and A. Azuara-Blanco, “Autologous limbal transplantation in patients with unilateral corneal stem cell deficiency,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 273–278, 2000.
- K. Tsubota, Y. Satake, M. Kaido et al., “Treatment of severe ocular-surface disorders with corneal epithelial stem-cell transplantation,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 22, pp. 1697–1703, 1999.
- D. T. H. Tan, J. K. G. Dart, E. J. Holland, and S. Kinoshita, “Corneal transplantation,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9827, pp. 1749–1761, 2012.
- C. M. Samson, C. Nduaguba, S. Baltatzis, and C. S. Foster, “Limbal stem cell transplantation in chronic inflammatory eye disease,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 862–868, 2002.
- L. Ilari and S. M. Daya, “Long-term outcomes of keratolimbal allograft for the treatment of severe ocular surface disorders,” Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 1278–1284, 2002.
- J. Shimazaki, S. Shimmura, H. Fujishima, and K. Tsubota, “Association of preoperative tear function with surgical outcome in severe Stevens-Johnson syndrome,” Ophthalmology, vol. 107, no. 8, pp. 1518–1523, 2000.
- J. A. Gomes, M. S. Santos, A. S. Ventura, W. B. Donato, M. C. Cunha, and A. L. Höfling-Lima, “Amniotic membrane with living related corneal limbal/conjunctival allograft for ocular surface reconstruction in Stevens-Johnson syndrome,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 121, no. 10, pp. 1369–1374, 2003.
- R. Langer and J. P. Vacanti, “Tissue engineering,” Science, vol. 260, no. 5110, pp. 920–926, 1993.
- J. P. Vacanti and R. Langer, “Tissue engineering: the design and fabrication of living replacement devices for surgical reconstruction and transplantation,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 1, pp. S32–S34, 1999.
- G. G. Gallico III, N. E. O'Connor, and C. C. Compton, “Permanent coverage of large burn wounds with autologous cultured human epithelium,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 311, no. 7, pp. 448–451, 1984.
- G. Pellegrini, C. E. Traverso, A. T. Franzi, M. Zingirian, R. Cancedda, and M. De Luca, “Long-term restoration of damaged corneal surfaces with autologous cultivated corneal epithelium,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9057, pp. 990–993, 1997.
- K. Nishida, M. Yamato, Y. Hayashida et al., “Functional bioengineered corneal epithellial sheet grafts from corneal stem cells expanded ex vivo on a temperature-responsive cell culture surface,” Transplantation, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 379–385, 2004.
- K. Nishida, M. Yamato, Y. Hayashida et al., “Corneal reconstruction with tissue-engineered cell sheets composed of autologous oral mucosal epithelium,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 12, pp. 1187–1196, 2004.
- P. Rama, S. Matuska, G. Paganoni, A. Spinelli, M. De Luca, and G. Pellegrini, “Limbal stem-cell therapy and long-term corneal regeneration,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 2, pp. 147–155, 2010.
- M. Brittberg, A. Lindahl, A. Nilsson, C. Ohlsson, O. Isaksson, and L. Peterson, “Treatment of deep cartilage defects in the knee with autologous chondrocyte transplantation,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 14, pp. 889–895, 1994.
- M. Ochi, Y. Uchio, K. Kawasaki, S. Wakitani, and J. Iwasa, “Transplantation of cartilage-like tissue made by tissue engineering in the treatment of cartilage defects of the knee,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 571–578, 2002.
- P. Menasché, O. Alfieri, S. Janssens et al., “The myoblast autologous grafting in ischemic cardiomyopathy (MAGIC) trial: first randomized placebo-controlled study of myoblast transplantation,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1189–1200, 2008.
- S. Miyagawa, G. Matsumiya, T. Funatsu et al., “Combined autologous cellular cardiomyoplasty using skeletal myoblasts and bone marrow cells for human ischemic cardiomyopathy with left ventricular assist system implantation: report of a case,” Surgery Today, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 2009.
- Y. Sawa and S. Miyagawa, “Cell sheet technology for heart failure,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 2013.
- R. J. F. Tsai, L. M. Li, and J. K. Chen, “Reconstruction of damaged corneas by transplantation of autologous limbal epithelial cells,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 2, pp. 86–93, 2000.
- P. Rama, S. Bonini, A. Lambiase et al., “Autologous fibrin-cultured limbal stem cells permanently restore the corneal surface of patients with total limbal stem cell deficiency,” Transplantation, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 1478–1485, 2001.
- N. Koizumi, T. Inatomi, T. Suzuki, C. Sotozono, and S. Kinoshita, “Cultivated corneal epithelial stem cell transplantation in ocular surface disorders,” Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 9, pp. 1569–1574, 2001.
- V. S. Sangwan, G. K. Vemuganti, G. Iftekhar, A. K. Bansal, and G. N. Rao, “Use of autologous cultured limbal and conjunctival epithelium in a patient with severe bilateral ocular surface disease induced by acid injury: a case report of unique application,” Cornea, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 478–481, 2003.
- I. R. Schwab, M. Reyes, and R. R. Isseroff, “Successful transplantation of bioengineered tissue replacements in patients with ocular surface disease,” Cornea, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 421–426, 2000.
- M. Grueterich, E. M. Espana, and S. C. G. Tseng, “Ex vivo expansion of limbal epithelial stem cells: amniotic membrane serving as a stem cell niche,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 631–646, 2003.
- T. Nakamura, T. Inatomi, C. Sotozono, T. Amemiya, N. Kanamura, and S. Kinoshita, “Transplantation of cultivated autologous oral mucosal epithelial cells in patients with severe ocular surface disorders,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 1280–1284, 2004.
- T. Okano, N. Yamada, H. Sakai, and Y. Sakurai, “A novel recovery system for cultured cells using plasma-treated polystyrene dishes grafted with poly(N-isopropylacrylamide),” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1243–1251, 1993.
- T. Nakamura, T. Inatomi, L. J. Cooper, H. Rigby, N. J. Fullwood, and S. Kinoshita, “Phenotypic investigation of human eyes with transplanted autologous cultivated oral mucosal epithelial sheets for severe ocular surface diseases,” Ophthalmology, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 1080–1088, 2007.
- H. C. Chen, H. L. Chen, C. C. Chen et al., “Persistence of transplanted oral mucosal epithelial cells in human cornea,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 4660–4668, 2009.
- T. Ohki, M. Yamato, M. Ota et al., “Prevention of esophageal stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection using tissue-engineered cell sheets,” Gastroenterology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 582–588, 2012.
- Y. Oie, T. Nozaki, H. Takayanagi et al., “Development of a cell sheet transportation technique for regenerative medicine,” Tissue Engineering C, 2013.