- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 431825, 7 pages
Creation of an Adiposity Index for Children Aged 6–8 Years: The Gateshead Millennium Study
1Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University, Sir James Spence Institute, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP, UK
2Department of Statistics, Glasgow University, Glasgow G12 8QW, UK
3Human Nutrition Research Centre, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
4Department of Psychology, Durham University, Durham DH1 3LE, UK
5PEACH Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Glasgow University, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 9 August 2013
Academic Editor: Nina Cecilie Øverby
Copyright © 2013 Mark S. Pearce et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Maziak, K. D. Ward, and M. B. Stockton, “Childhood obesity: are we missing the big picture?” Obesity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2008.
- K. McPherson, M. Brown, T. Marsh, and T. Byatt, Obesity: Recent Trends in Children Aged 2–11 y and 12–19 y. Analysis From the Health Survey For England 1993–2007, National Heart Forum, 2009.
- J. J. Reilly, E. Methven, Z. C. McDowell et al., “Health consequences of obesity,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 748–752, 2003.
- F. Wang, T. C. Wild, W. Kipp, S. Kuhle, and P. J. Veugelers, “The influence of childhood obesity on the development of self-esteem,” Health Reports, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 21–27, 2009.
- J. J. Reilly, A. R. Dorosty, and P. M. Emmett, “Identification of the obese child: adequacy of the body mass index for clinical practice and epidemiology,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1623–1627, 2000.
- J. J. Reilly, “Diagnostic accuracy of the BMI for age in paediatrics,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 595–597, 2006.
- I. Lemieux, A. Pascot, C. Couillard et al., “Hypertriglyceridemic waist: a marker of the atherogenic metabolic triad (hyperinsulinemia; hyperapolipoprotein B; small, dense LDL) in men?” Circulation, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 179–184, 2000.
- J. H. Himes and W. H. Dietz, “Guidelines for overweight in adolescent preventive services: recommendations from an expert committee,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 307–316, 1994.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- J. J. Reilly, J. Wilson, J. H. McColl, M. Carmichael, and J. V. G. A. Durnin, “Ability of biolectric impedance to predict fat-free mass in prepubertal children,” Pediatric Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 176–179, 1996.
- L. Parker, J. J. Reilly, C. Slater, J. C. K. Wells, and Y. Pitsiladis, “Validity of six field and laboratory methods for measurement of body composition in boys,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 852–858, 2003.
- C. M. Wright, A. Sherriff, S. C. G. Ward, J. H. McColl, J. J. Reilly, and A. R. Ness, “Development of bioelectrical impedance-derived indices of fat and fat-free mass for assessment of nutritional status in childhood,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 210–217, 2008.
- K. Parkinson, C. Wright, and R. Drewett, “The gateshead millennium baby study: a prospective study of feeding and growth,” International Journal of Social Research Methodology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 335–347, 2007.
- K. N. Parkinson, M. S. Pearce, and A. Dale, “Cohort profile: the gateshead millennium study,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 308–317, 2011.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide. International survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- T. J. Cole, K. M. Flegal, D. Nicholls, and A. A. Jackson, “Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents. International survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7612, pp. 194–197, 2007.
- T. J. Cole, J. V. Freeman, and M. A. Preece, “Body mass index reference curves for the UK, 1990,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 1995.
- S. A. Bingham, A. Cassidy, T. J. Cole et al., “Validation of weighed records and other methods of dietary assessment using the 24 h urine nitrogen technique and other biological markers,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 531–550, 1995.
- H. D. McCarthy, K. V. Jarrett, and H. F. Crawley, “The development of waist circumference percentiles in British children aged 5.0–16.9 y,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 902–907, 2001.
- World Health Organisation, “Use and interpretation of anthropometric indicators of nutritional status,” Bull World Health Organ, vol. 64, pp. 929–941, 1986.
- World Health Organisation, Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry, World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- N. Cameron, The Measurement of Human Growth, Croom Helm, Kent, UK, 1984.
- G. G. Harrison, E. R. Buskirk, J. E. Lindsay Carter, et al., “Skinfold thicknesses and measurement technique,” in Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorell, Eds., pp. 55–70, Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- N. Cameron, “The methods of auxological anthropometry,” in Human Growth, F. Falkner and J. M. Tanner, Eds., vol. 2, pp. 35–90, Bailliere Tindall, London, UK, 1978.
- J. H. Wilmore, R. A. Frisancho, C. C. Gordon, et al., “Body breadth equipment and measurement techniques,” in Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorell, Eds., pp. 27–38, Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- N. Cameron, L. L. Jones, P. L. Griffiths, S. A. Norris, and J. M. Pettifor, “How well do waist circumference and body mass index reflect body composition in pre-pubertal children?” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1065–1070, 2009.
- M. del Mar Biblioni, A. Pons, and J. A. Tur, “Defining body fatness in adolescents: a proposal of the Afad—a classification,” PloS ONE, vol. 8, Article ID e55849, 2013.
- T. S. Olds, “One million skinfolds: secular trends in the fatness of young people 1951–2004,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 934–946, 2009.
- J. C. K. Wells, N. J. Fuller, O. Dewit, M. S. Fewtrell, M. Elia, and T. J. Cole, “Four-component model of body composition in children: density and hydration of fat-free mass and comparison with simpler models,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 904–912, 1999.