- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 435818, 10 pages
Acid Lipase from Candida viswanathii: Production, Biochemical Properties, and Potential Application
1Environmental Studies Center, Universidade Estadual Paulista, CEA/UNESP, Avenida 24-A, 1515 Bela Vista, 13506-900 Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
2Biochemistry and Microbiology Department, Bioscience Institute, Universidade Estadual Paulista, IB/UNESP, Avenida 24-A, 1515 Bela Vista, 13506-900 Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Received 25 July 2013; Accepted 8 October 2013
Academic Editor: S. L. Mowbray
Copyright © 2013 Alex Fernando de Almeida et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Houde, A. Kademi, and D. Leblanc, “Lipases and their industrial applications: an overview,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology Part A, vol. 118, no. 1–3, pp. 155–170, 2004.
- M. M. C. Feltes, D. de Oliveira, J. M. Block, and J. L. Ninow, “The production, benefits, and applications of monoacylglycerols and diacylglycerols of nutritional interest,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 6, pp. 17–35, 2013.
- E. Rigo, J. L. Ninow, S. M. Tsai et al., “Preliminary characterization of novel extra-cellular lipase from Penicillium crustosum under solid-state fermentation and its potential application for triglycerides hydrolysis,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 5, pp. 1592–1600, 2012.
- R. Fernandez-Lafuente, “Lipase from Thermomyces lanuginosus: uses and prospects as an industrial biocatalyst,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 62, no. 3-4, pp. 197–212, 2010.
- N. Li and M.-H. Zong, “Lipases from the genus Penicillium: production, purification, characterization and applications,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 66, no. 1-2, pp. 43–54, 2010.
- R. Sharma, Y. Chisti, and U. C. Banerjee, “Production, purification, characterization, and applications of lipases,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 627–662, 2001.
- A. Salihu, M. Z. Alam, M. I. AbdulKarim, and H. M. Salleh, “Lipase production: an insight in the utilization of renewable agricultural residues,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 58, pp. 36–44, 2012.
- F. J. Contesini, D. B. Lopes, G. A. MacEdo, M. D. G. Nascimento, and P. D. O. Carvalho, “Aspergillus sp. lipase: potential biocatalyst for industrial use,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 67, no. 3-4, pp. 163–171, 2010.
- F. Hasan, A. A. Shah, and A. Hameed, “Methods for detection and characterization of lipases: a comprehensive review,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 782–798, 2009.
- H. Treichel, D. de Oliveira, M. A. Mazutti, M. Di Luccio, and J. V. Oliveira, “A review on microbial lipases production,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 182–196, 2010.
- P. Fickers, J. M. Nicaud, C. Gaillardin, J. Destain, and P. Thonart, “Carbon and nitrogen sources modulate lipase production in the yeast Yarrowia lipolytica,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 742–749, 2004.
- S. Papanikolaou, I. Chevalot, M. Galiotou-Panayotou, M. Komaitis, I. Marc, and G. Aggelis, “Industrial derivative of tallow: a promising renewable substrate for microbial lipid, single-cell protein and lipase production by Yarrowia lipolytica,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 425–435, 2007.
- S. Dutta and L. Ray, “Production and characterization of an alkaline thermostable crude lipase from an isolated strain of Bacillus cereus C7,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 142–154, 2009.
- D. S. Dheeman, S. Antony-Babu, J. M. Frías, and G. T. M. Henehan, “Purification and characterization of an extracellular lipase from a novel strain Penicillium sp. DS-39 (DSM 23773),” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 72, no. 3-4, pp. 256–262, 2011.
- M. Elibol and D. Ozer, “Influence of oxygen transfer on lipase production by Rhizopus arrhizus,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 325–329, 2000.
- E.-S. Lin, C.-C. Wang, and S.-C. Sung, “Cultivating conditions influence lipase production by the edible Basidiomycete Antrodia cinnamomea in submerged culture,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 98–102, 2006.
- A. Salihu, M. Z. Alam, M. I. Abdulkarim, and H. M. Salleh, “Effect of process parameters on lipase production by Candida cylindracea in stirred tank bioreactor using renewable palm oil mill effluent based medium,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 72, no. 3-4, pp. 187–192, 2011.
- R. M. De La Casa, J. V. Sinisterra, and J. M. Sánchez-Montero, “Characterization and catalytic properties of a new crude lipase from C. rugosa,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 599–609, 2006.
- P. Gupta, L. S. B. Upadhyay, and R. Shrivastava, “Lipase catalyzed-transesterification of vegetable oils by lipolytic bacteria,” Research Journal of Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 281–288, 2011.
- A. F. Almeida, S. M. Taulk-Tornisielo, and E. C. Carmona, “Influence of carbon and nitrogen sources on lipase production by a newly isolated Candida viswanathii strain,” Annals of Biotechnology, 2012.
- J. Yang, Y. Koga, H. Nakano, and T. Yamane, “Modifying the chain-length selectivity of the lipase from Burkholderia cepacia KWI-56 through in vitro combinatorial mutagenesis in the substrate-binding site,” Protein Engineering, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2002.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randal, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- M. S. Puthli, V. K. Rathod, and A. B. Pandit, “Optimization of lipase production in a triple impeller bioreactor,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 287–294, 2006.
- S. Takaç, A. E. Ünlü, and B. Erdem, “Oxygen transfer strategy modulates the productions of lipase and esterase enzymes by Candida rugosa,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 64, no. 3-4, pp. 150–154, 2010.
- S. V. Kamzolova, I. G. Morgunov, A. Aurich et al., “Lipase secretion and citric acid production in Yarrowia lipolytica yeast grown on animal and vegetable fat,” Food Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 113–122, 2005.
- F. Darvishi, I. Nahvi, H. Zarkesh-Esfahani, and F. Momenbeik, “Effect of plant oils upon lipase and citric acid production in Yarrowia lipolytica yeast,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2009, Article ID 562943, 2009.
- A. Dominguez, L. Pastrana, M. A. Longo, M. L. Rúa, and M. A. Sanroman, “Lipolytic enzyme production by Thermus thermophilus HB27 in a stirred tank bioreactor,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 26, no. 2-3, pp. 95–99, 2005.
- V. Brozzoli, S. Crognale, I. Sampedro, F. Federici, A. D'Annibale, and M. Petruccioli, “Assessment of olive-mill wastewater as a growth medium for lipase production by Candida cylindracea in bench-top reactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 13, pp. 3395–3402, 2009.
- R. Gulati, R. K. Saxena, and R. Gupta, “Fermentation and downstream processing of lipase from Aspergillus terreus,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 1-2, pp. 149–155, 2000.
- S. Ali, H. Rafi, and I.-U. Ikram-Ul-Haq, “Production of an extracellular lipase from Candida lipolytica and parameter significance analysis by Plackett-Burman design,” Engineering in Life Sciences, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 465–473, 2010.
- H.-R. Kim, I. N.-H. Kim, C. T. Hou, K.-I. L. Kwon, and B.-S. Shin, “Production of a novel cold-active lipase from Pichia lynferdii Y-7723,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 1322–1326, 2010.
- R. Sangeetha, A. Geetha, and I. Arulpandi, “Pongamia pinnata seed cake: a promising and inexpensive substrate for production of protease and lipase from Bacillus pumilus SG2 on solid-state fermentation,” Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 435–439, 2011.
- F. J. Deive, M. A. Sanromán, and M. A. Longo, “A comprehensive study of lipase production by Yarrowia lipolytica CECT 1240 (ATCC 18942): from shake flask to continuous bioreactor,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 258–266, 2010.
- H. Yu, J. Han, N. Li, X. Qie, and Y.-M. Jia, “Fermentation performance and characterization of cold-adapted lipase produced with Pseudomonas Lip35,” Agricultural Sciences in China, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 956–962, 2009.
- R. Kumar, S. Mahajan, A. Kumar, and D. Singh, “Identification of variables and value optimization for optimum lipase production by Bacillus pumilus RK31 using statistical methodology,” New Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2011.
- A. Domínguez, F. J. Deive, M. A. Sanromán, and M. A. Longo, “Effect of lipids and surfactants on extracellular lipase production by Yarrowia lipolytica,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 1166–1170, 2003.
- C. R. Scholfield, “Composition of soybean lecithin,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 889–892, 1981.
- N. Pogori, A. Cheikhyoussef, Y. Xu, and D. Wang, “Production and biochemical characterization of an extracellular lipase from Rhizopus chinensis CCTCC M201021,” Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 710–717, 2008.
- H. T. Khor, N. H. Tan, and C. L. Chua, “Lipase-catalyzed hydrolysis of palm oil,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 538–540, 1986.
- M. Adamczak, “Synthesis, properties, and application of lipase from Candida antartica for high yield monoacylglycerol biosynthesis,” Polish Journal of Food Nutriton Science, vol. 53, pp. 3–8, 2003.
- M. L. Rúa, T. Díaz-Murino, V. M. Fernández, C. Otero, and A. Ballesteros, “Purification and characterization of two distinct lipases from Candida cylindracea,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1156, no. 2, pp. 181–189, 1993.
- N. C. Mhetras, K. B. Bastawde, and D. V. Gokhale, “Purification and characterization of acidic lipase from Aspergillus niger NCIM 1207,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 1486–1490, 2009.
- K. Ramani, L. J. Kennedy, M. Ramakrishnan, and G. Sekaran, “Purification, characterization and application of acidic lipase from Pseudomonas gessardii using beef tallow as a substrate for fats and oil hydrolysis,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1683–1691, 2010.
- K. Ramani, E. Chockalingam, and G. Sekaran, “Production of a novel extracellular acidic lipase from Pseudomonas gessardii using slaughterhouse waste as a substrate,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 531–535, 2010.
- J. C. Mateos Diaz, J. A. Rodríguez, S. Roussos et al., “Lipase from the thermotolerant fungus Rhizopus homothallicus is more thermostable when produced using solid state fermentation than liquid fermentation procedures,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1042–1050, 2006.
- J. N. Dos Prazeres, J. A. B. Cruz, and G. M. Pastore, “Characterization of alkaline lipase from Fusarium oxysporum and the effect of different surfactants and detergents on the enzyme activity,” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 505–509, 2006.
- V. M. G. Lima, N. Krieger, D. A. Mitchell, and J. D. Fontana, “Activity and stability of a crude lipase from Penicillium aurantiogriseum in aqueous media and organic solvents,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2004.
- N. Doukyu and H. Ogino, “Organic solvent-tolerant enzymes,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 270–282, 2010.
- D. S. Dheeman, J. M. Frias, and G. T. M. Henehan, “Influence of cultivation conditions on the production of a thermostable extracellular lipase from Amycolatopsis mediterranei DSM 43304,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2010.
- H. Ogino and H. Ishikawa, “Enzymes which are stable in the presence of organic solvents,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 109–116, 2001.
- P. Supakdamrongkul, A. Bhumiratana, and C. Wiwat, “Characterization of an extracellular lipase from the biocontrol fungus, Nomuraea rileyi MJ, and its toxicity toward Spodoptera litura,” Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 228–235, 2010.
- J.-L. Xia, B. Huang, Z.-Y. Nie, and W. Wang, “Production and characterization of alkaline extracellular lipase from newly isolated strain Aspergillus awamori HB-03,” Journal of Central South University of Technology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1425–1433, 2011.
- V. Delorme, R. Dhouib, S. Canaan, F. Fotiadu, F. Carrière, and J.-F. Cavalier, “Effects of surfactants on lipase structure, activity, and inhibition,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1831–1842, 2011.
- T. Tan, M. Zhang, J. Xu, and J. Zhang, “Optimization of culture conditions and properties of lipase from Penicillium camembertii Thom PG-3,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1495–1502, 2004.
- G. Colen, R. G. Junqueira, and T. Moraes-Santos, “Isolation and screening of alkaline lipase-producing fungi from Brazilian savanna soil,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 881–885, 2006.