- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 437950, 10 pages
Ulinastatin Reduces Cancer Recurrence after Resection of Hepatic Metastases from Colon Cancer by Inhibiting MMP-9 Activation via the Antifibrinolytic Pathway
1Department of General Surgery, Guangzhou First People's Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, 1 Panfu Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou 510180, China
2Experimental Medical Research Center, Guangzhou Medical College, 195 Dongfengxi Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou 510182, China
Received 28 January 2013; Revised 26 March 2013; Accepted 2 April 2013
Academic Editor: Paul Higgins
Copyright © 2013 Bo Xu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. S. Hughes, R. Simon, S. Songhorabodi, et al., “Resection of the liver for colorectal carcinoma metastases: a multi-institutional study of patterns of recurrence,” Surgery, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 278–284, 1986.
- W. R. Jarnagin, “Management of small hepatocellular carcinoma: a review of transplantation, resection, and ablation,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1226–1233, 2010.
- J. Xu, Y. Wei, Y. Zhong et al., “Hepatectomy for liver metastasis of colorectal cancer,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 419–425, 2009.
- K. Talvinen, J. Tuikkala, J. Grönroos et al., “Biochemical and clinical approaches in evaluating the prognosis of colon cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 26, no. 6C, pp. 4745–4751, 2006.
- Y. J. Chua and D. Cunningham, “Neoadjuvant treatment of unresectable liver metastases from colorectal cancer,” Clinical Colorectal Cancer, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 405–412, 2006.
- T. Asaga, K. Suzuki, M. Umeda, Y. Sugimasa, S. Takemiya, and T. Okamoto, “The enhancement of tumor growth after partial hepatectomy and the effect of sera obtained from hepatectomized rats on tumor cell growth,” Japanese Journal of Surgery, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 669–675, 1991.
- M. Gutman, R. K. Singh, J. E. Price, D. Fan, and I. J. Fidler, “Accelerated growth of human colon cancer cells in nude mice undergoing liver regeneration,” Invasion and Metastasis, vol. 14, no. 1–6, pp. 362–371, 1994.
- J. Mizutani, T. Hiraoka, R. Yamashita, and Y. Miyauchi, “Promotion of hepatic metastases by liver resection in the rat,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 794–797, 1992.
- N. Harun, M. Nikfarjam, V. Muralidharan, and C. Christophi, “Liver regeneration stimulates tumor metastases,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 284–290, 2007.
- B. Xu, W. S. Cai, H. Q. Xiao et al., “Influence of liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy on the development of liver metastasis of colon cancer in rats,” Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 369–372, 2009.
- M. F. Leeman, S. Curran, and G. I. Murray, “New insights into the roles of matrix metalloproteinases in colorectal cancer development and progression,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 201, no. 4, pp. 528–534, 2003.
- Y. Matsuyama, S. Takao, and T. Aikou, “Comparison of matrix metalloproteinase expression between primary tumors with or without liver metastasis in pancreatic and colorectal carcinomas,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 2002.
- S. Zucker, “A critical appraisal of the role of proteolytic enzymes in cancer invasion: emphasis on tumor surface proteinases,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 219–231, 1988.
- S. Zucker, J. Cao, and W. T. Chen, “Critical appraisal of the use of matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors in cancer treatment,” Oncogene, vol. 19, no. 56, pp. 6642–6650, 2000.
- G. Dormn, S. Cseh, I. Hajd et al., “Matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors: a critical appraisal of design principles and proposed therapeutic utility,” Drugs, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 949–964, 2010.
- P. Mignatti and D. B. Rifkin, “Biology and biochemistry of proteinases in tumor invasion,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 161–195, 1993.
- N. M. Hogan, R. M. Dwyer, M. R. Joyce, and M. J. Kerin, “Mesenchymal stem cells in the colorectal tumor microenvironment: recent progress and implications,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- M. J. Pugia and J. A. Lott, “Pathophysiology and diagnostic value of urinary trypsin inhibitors,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2005.
- H. Kobayashi, M. Suzuki, Y. Tanaka, N. Kanayama, and T. Terao, “A Kunitz-type protease inhibitor, bikunin, inhibits ovarian cancer cell invasion by blocking the calcium-dependent transforming growth factor-β1 signaling cascade,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 10, pp. 7790–7799, 2003.
- H. Kobayashi, T. Yagyu, K. Inagaki et al., “Therapeutic efficacy of once-daily oral administration of a Kunitz-type protease inhibitor, bikunin, in a mouse model and in human cancer,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 869–877, 2004.
- M. Suzuki, H. Kobayashi, Y. Tanaka et al., “Suppression of invasion and peritoneal carcinomatosis of ovarian cancer cell line by overexpression of bikunin,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 289–302, 2003.
- I. Yoshioka, Y. Tsuchiya, Y. Aozuka et al., “Urinary trypsin inhibitor suppresses surgical stress-facilitated lung metastasis of murine colon 26-L5 carcinoma cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 25, no. 2A, pp. 815–820, 2005.
- K. H. Tsui, P. L. Chang, T. H. Feng, L. C. Chung, S. Y. Hsu, and H. H. Juang, “Down-regulation of matriptase by overexpression of bikunin attenuates cell invasion in prostate carcinoma cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 28, no. 4A, pp. 1977–1983, 2008.
- M. Nikfarjam, V. Muralidharan, and C. Christophi, “Altered growth patterns of colorectal liver metastases after thermal ablation,” Surgery, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 73–81, 2006.
- M. Shimizu, Y. Saitoh, and H. Itoh, “Immunohistochemical staining of Ha-ras oncogene product in normal, benign, and malignant human pancreatic tissues,” Human Pathology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 607–612, 1990.
- F. S. Collins, “Reengineering translational science: the time is right,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 3, no. 90, p. 90cm17, 2011.
- T. Tsujino, Y. Komatsu, H. Isayama et al., “Ulinastatin for pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a randomized, controlled trial,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 376–383, 2005.
- W. A. Hoogerwerf, “Pharmacological management of pancreatitis,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 578–582, 2005.
- T. Aihara, M. Shiraishi, S. Hiroyasu et al., “Ulinastatin, a protease inhibitor, attenuates hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury by downregulating TNF-α in the liver,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 3732–3734, 1998.
- H. Nakahama, K. Obata, and M. Sugita, “Ulinastatin ameliorates acute ischemic renal injury in rats,” Renal Failure, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 893–898, 1996.
- Z. L. Cao, Y. Okazaki, K. Naito, T. Ueno, M. Natsuaki, and T. Itoh, “Ulinastatin attenuates reperfusion injury in the isolated blood-perfused rabbit heart,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 1121–1126, 2000.
- O. A. R. Binns, N. F. DeLima, S. A. Buchanan et al., “Neutrophil endopeptidase inhibitor improves pulmonary function during reperfusion after eighteen-hour preservation,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 607–613, 1996.
- Y. Okuhama, M. Shiraishi, T. Higa et al., “Protective effects of ulinastatin against ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 34–42, 1999.
- K. Nakanishi, S. Takeda, A. Sakamoto, and A. Kitamura, “Effects of ulinastatin treatment on the cardiopulmonary bypass-induced hemodynamic instability and pulmonary dysfunction,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1351–1357, 2006.
- T. Nishiyama, T. Yokoyama, and K. Yamashita, “Effects of a protease inhibitor, ulinastatin, on coagulation and fibrinolysis in abdominal surgery,” Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 179–182, 2006.
- S. Kurosawa, N. Kanaya, N. Fujimura et al., “Effects of ulinastatin on pulmonary artery pressure during abdominal aortic aneurysmectomy,” Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 18–23, 2006.
- T. Yano, S. Anraku, R. Nakayama, and K. Ushijima, “Neuroprotective effect of urinary trypsin inhibitor against focal cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats,” Anesthesiology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 465–473, 2003.
- H. Kobayashi, M. Suzuki, N. Kanayama, T. Nishida, M. Takigawa, and T. Terao, “Suppression of urokinase receptor expression by bikunin is associated with inhibition of upstream targets of extracellular signal-regulated kinase-dependent cascade,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 269, no. 16, pp. 3945–3957, 2002.
- S. Masson, M. Daveau, M. Hiron et al., “Differential regenerative response and expression of growth factors following hepatectomy of variable extent in rats,” Liver, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 312–317, 1999.
- W. Jiang, S. Hiscox, K. Matsumoto, and T. Nakamura, “Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor, its molecular, cellular and clinical implications in cancer,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 209–248, 1999.
- B. Lukomska, J. Dluzniewska, J. Polanski, and L. Zajac, “Expression of growth factors in colorectal carcinoma liver metastatic patients after partial hepatectomy: implications for a functional role in cell proliferation during liver regeneration,” Comparative Hepatology, vol. 3, supplement 1, p. S52, 2004.
- S. S. Yoon, S. H. Kim, M. Gonen et al., “Profile of plasma angiogenic factors before and after hepatectomy for colorectal cancer liver metastases,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 353–362, 2006.
- R. Mazzieri, L. Masiero, L. Zanetta et al., “Control of type IV collagenase activity by the urokinase-plasmin system: a regulatory mechanism with cell-bound reactants,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 2319–2332, 1997.
- K. Inuzuka, Y. Ogata, H. Nagase, and K. Shirouzu, “Significance of coexpression of urokinase-type plasminogen activator, and matrix metalloproteinase 3 (stromelysin) and 9 (gelatinase B) in colorectal carcinoma,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 211–218, 2000.
- A. H. Mekkawy, D. L. Morris, and M. H. Pourgholami, “Urokinase plasminogen activator system as a potential target for cancer therapy,” Future Oncology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1487–1499, 2009.
- M. D. Sternlicht and Z. Werb, “How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 17, pp. 463–516, 2001.
- T. Nobuoka, T. Mizuguchi, H. Oshima et al., “Impaired liver regeneration with humoral and genetic disturbances in urinary trypsin inhibitor-deficient mice,” Liver International, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 979–987, 2009.