- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 452750, 9 pages
Biomimetic Mineralization on a Macroporous Cellulose-Based Matrix for Bone Regeneration
1Department of Organic Technology, Kaunas University of Technology, Radvilenu pl. 19, 50254 Kaunas, Lithuania
2Laboratory for Bone Metabolism and Regeneration, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Porto, Rua Dr. Manuel Pereira da Silva, 4200-392 Porto, Portugal
3Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Eiveniu str. 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
4Human Pathology Department, Dental School, University of Messina, Messina IT, Policlinico G. Martino, Via Consolare Valeria, 98100 Messina, Italy
Received 10 June 2013; Revised 15 August 2013; Accepted 21 August 2013
Academic Editor: Esmaiel Jabbari
Copyright © 2013 Odeta Petrauskaite et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Li, C. R. Zhou, M. Y. Zhu, J. H. Tian, and J. H. Rong, “Preparation and characterization of homogeneous hydroxyapatite/chitosan composite scaffolds via in-situ hydration,” Journal of Biomaterial and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 1, pp. 42–49, 2010.
- K. A. Zimmermann, J. M. Leblanc, K. T. Sheets, R. W. Fox, and P. Gatenholm, “Biomimetic design of a bacterial cellulose/hydroxyapatite nanocomposite for bone healing applications,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2011.
- A. S. Herford, R. Tandon, T. W. Stevens, E. Stoffella, and M. Cicciù, “Immediate distraction osteogenesis: the sandwich technique in combination with rhBMP-2 for anterior maxillary and mandibular defects,” Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1383–1387, 2013.
- A. R. Boccaccini and V. Maquet, “Bioresorbable and bioactive polymer/Bioglass composites with tailored pore structure for tissue engineering applications,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 16, pp. 2417–2429, 2003.
- C. Y. Zhang, H. Lu, Z. Zhuang, X. P. Wang, and Q. F. Fang, “Nano-hydroxyapatite/poly(L-lactic acid) composite synthesized by a modified in situ precipitation: preparation and properties,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 3077–3083, 2010.
- A. S. Herford, M. Lu, L. Akin, and M. Cicciù, “Evaluation of a porcine matrix with and without platelet-derived growth factor for bone graft coverage in pigs,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1351–1358, 2012.
- O. Petrauskaite, J. Liesiene, C. Santos et al., “Nano-hydroxyapatite/cellulose composite scaffold for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 6, p. 34, 2012.
- M. I. Sabir, X. Xu, and L. Li, “A review on biodegradable polymeric materials for bone tissue engineering applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 5713–5724, 2009.
- M. Jarcho, J. F. Kay, K. I. Gumaer, R. H. Doremus, and H. P. Drobeck, “Tissue, cellular and subcellular events at a bone-ceramic hydroxylapatite interface,” Journal of Bioengineering, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 79–92, 1977.
- G. Chen, T. Ushida, and T. Tateishi, “Scaffold design for tissue engineering,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 2, pp. 67–77, 2002.
- D. W. Hutmacher, T. Schantz, I. Zien, K. W. Ng, K. H. Teoh, and K. C. Tan, “Mechanical properties and cell cultural response of polycaprolactone scaffolds designed and fabricated via fused deposition modeling,” Journal of Biomedical Material Research, vol. 55, pp. 203–216, 2001.
- L. S. Nair and C. T. Laurencin, “Polymers as biomaterials for tissue engineering and controlled drug delivery,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 102, pp. 47–90, 2006.
- M. V. Risbud and R. R. Bhonde, “Suitability of cellulose molecular dialysis membrane for bioartificial pancreas: in vitro biocompatibility studies,” Journal of Biomedical Material Research, vol. 54, pp. 436–444, 2001.
- M. Märtson, J. Viljanto, T. Hurme, and P. Saukko, “Biocompatibility of cellulose sponge with bone,” European Surgical Research, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 426–432, 1998.
- Y. S. Nam, J. J. Yoon, and T. G. Park, “A novel fabrication method of macroporous biodegradable polymer scaffolds using gas forming salt as a porogen additive,” Journal Biomedical Material Research, vol. 53, pp. 1–7, 2000.
- M. Kawashita, M. Nakao, M. Minoda et al., “Apatite-forming ability of carboxyl group-containing polymer gels in a simulated body fluid,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 2477–2484, 2003.
- M. Tanahashi and T. Matsuda, “Surface functional group dependence on apatite formation on self-assembled monolayers in a simulated body fluid,” Journal Biomedical Material Research, vol. 34, pp. 305–315, 1997.
- M. Cicciù, A. S. Herford, E. Stoffella, G. Cervino, and D. Cicciù, “Protein-signaled guided bone regeneration using titanium mesh and Rh-BMP2 in oral surgery: a case report involving left mandibular reconstruction after tumor resection,” Open Dentistry Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 2012.
- L. Hong, Y. L. Wang, S. R. Jia, Y. Huang, C. Gao, and Y. Z. Wan, “Hydroxyapatite/bacterial cellulose composites synthesized via a biomimetic route,” Materials Letters, vol. 60, no. 13-14, pp. 1710–1713, 2006.
- T. T. Nge and J. Sugiyama, “Surface functional group dependent apatite formation on bacterial cellulose microfibrils network in a simulated body fluid,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 124–134, 2007.
- I. B. Leonor, E. T. Baran, M. Kawashita, R. L. Reis, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Growth of a bonelike apatite on chitosan microparticles after a calcium silicate treatment,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1349–1359, 2008.
- J. Bryjak, J. Aniulyte, and J. Liesiene, “Evaluation of man-tailored cellulose-based carriers in glucoamylase immobilization,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 342, no. 8, pp. 1105–1109, 2007.
- Y. Zhang and M. Zhang, “Synthesis and characterization of macroporous chitosan/calcium phosphate composite scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Journal Biomedical Material Research, vol. 55, pp. 304–312, 2001.
- Ž. P. Stojanović, K. Jeremić, S. Jovanović, W. Nierling, and M. D. Lechner, “Light scattering and viscosity investigation of dilute aqueous solutions of carboxymethyl starch,” Starch, vol. 61, no. 3-4, pp. 199–205, 2009.
- P. Cromme, C. Zollfrank, L. Müller, F. A. Müller, and P. Greil, “Biomimetic mineralisation of apatites on Ca2+ activated cellulose templates,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2007.
- A. I. Rodrigues, M. E. Gomes, I. B. Leonor, and R. L. Reis, “A biological scaffold filled with silica and simultaneously crosslinked with polyurethane,” Acta Biomaterials, vol. 8, pp. 3765–3776, 2012.
- Z. Shi, X. Huang, Y. Cai, R. Tang, and D. Yang, “Size effect of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles on proliferation and apoptosis of osteoblast-like cells,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 338–345, 2009.
- I. G. Beşkardeş and M. Gumusderelioglu, “Biomimetic apatite-coated PCL scaffolds: effect of surface nanotopography on cellular functions,” Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 507–524, 2009.
- M. J. Olszta, X. Cheng, S. S. Jee et al., “Bone structure and formation: a new perspective,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 58, no. 3-5, pp. 77–116, 2007.
- A. Yokoyama, M. Gelinsky, T. Kawasaki et al., “Biomimetic porous scaffolds with high elasticity made from mineralized collagen—an animal study,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 464–472, 2005.
- B. Alberts, A. Johnson, J. Lewis, M. Raff, K. Roberts, and P. Walter, “The cytoskeleton,” in Molecular Biology of the Cell, B. Alberts, A. Johnson, J. Lewis, M. Raff, K. Roberts, and P. Walter, Eds., pp. 907–982, Garland, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2002.
- D. Stamenovíc, “Effects of cytoskeletal prestress on cell rheological behavior,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 255–262, 2005.
- I. Titushkin and M. Cho, “Modulation of cellular mechanics during osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 3693–3702, 2007.
- Y. M. Chen, T. Xi, Y. Zheng et al., “In vitro cytotoxicity of bacterial cellulose scaffolds used for tissue-engineered bone,” Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 137–145, 2009.
- S. Saska, H. S. Barud, A. M. M. Gaspar, R. Marchetto, S. J. L. Ribeiro, and Y. Messaddeq, “Bacterial cellulose-hydroxyapatite nanocomposites for bone regeneration,” International Journal of Biomaterials, vol. 2011, Article ID 175362, 8 pages, 2011.
- A. Aravamudhan, D. M. Ramos, J. Nip et al., “Cellulose and collagen derived micro-nano structured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 9, pp. 719–731, 2013.
- B. Fang, Y.-Z. Wan, T.-T. Tang, C. Gao, and K.-R. Dai, “Proliferation and osteoblastic differentiation of human bone marrow stromal cells on hydroxyapatite/bacterial cellulose nanocomposite scaffolds,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1091–1098, 2009.
- C. J. Grande, F. G. Torres, C. M. Gomez, and M. Carmen Bañó, “Nanocomposites of bacterial cellulose/hydroxyapatite for biomedical applications,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1605–1615, 2009.