- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 453606, 11 pages
Chromogenic In Situ Hybridization and p16/Ki67 Dual Staining on Formalin-Fixed Paraffin-Embedded Cervical Specimens: Correlation with HPV-DNA Test, E6/E7 mRNA Test, and Potential Clinical Applications
1Cytopathology Unit, Experimental and Clinical Sciences Department, “G. d'Annunzio” University of Chieti-Pescara, Via dei Vestini, 66100 Chieti, Italy
2Surgical Pathology Unit, “SS Annunziata” Hospital, ASL2 Abruzzo, Chieti, Italy
Received 16 July 2013; Revised 20 September 2013; Accepted 30 September 2013
Academic Editor: Oronza Antonietta Botrugno
Copyright © 2013 Roberta Zappacosta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Zappacosta and S. Rosini, “Cervical cancer screening: from molecular basis to diagnostic practice, going through new technologies,” Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 161–174, 2008.
- J. Cuzick, C. Clavel, K. Petry et al., “Overview of the European and North American studies on HPV testing in primary cervical cancer screening,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 1095–1101, 2006.
- J. Cuzick, M. Arbyn, R. Sankaranarayanan et al., “Overview of human papillomavirus-based and other novel options for cervical cancer screening in developed and developing countries,” Vaccine, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. K29–K41, 2008.
- P. Giorgi Rossi, M. Benevolo, A. Vocaturo, et al., “Prognostic value of HPV E6/E7 mRNA assay in women with negative colposcopy or CIN1 histology result: a follow-up study,” PLOS One, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 54–62, 2013.
- M. Guo, Y. Gong, M. Deavers et al., “Evaluation of a commercialized in situ hybridization assay for detecting human papillomavirus DNA in tissue specimens from patients with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cervical carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 274–280, 2008.
- M. M. Dabić, L. Hlupić, D. Babić, S. Jukić, and S. Seiwerth, “Comparison of polymerase chain reaction and catalyzed signal amplification in Situ hybridization methods for human papillomavirus detection in paraffin-embedded cervical preneoplastic and neoplastic lesions,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 511–516, 2004.
- M. F. Evans, S. L. Mount, B. G. Beatty, and K. Cooper, “Biotinyl-tyramide-based in situ hybridization signal patterns distinguish human papillomavirus type and grade of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia,” Modern Pathology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1339–1347, 2002.
- J. D. Meissner, “Nucleotide sequences and further characterization of human papillomavirus DNA present in the CaSki, SiHa and HeLa cervical carcinoma cell lines,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 1725–1733, 1999.
- K. U. Petry, D. Schmidt, S. Scherbring et al., “Triaging Pap cytology negative, HPV positive cervical cancer screening results with p16/Ki-67 Dual-stained cytology,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 505–509, 2011.
- D. Schmidt, C. Bergeron, K. J. Denton, and R. Ridder, “p16/ki-67 dual-stain cytology in the triage of ASCUS and LSIL papanicolaou cytology: results from the European equivocal or mildly abnormal Papanicolaou cytology study,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 158–166, 2011.
- A. Tinelli, G. Leo, M. Pisanò et al., “HPV viral activity by mRNA-HPV molecular analysis to screen the transforming infections in precancer cervical lesions,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 767–771, 2009.
- J. R. Landis and G. G. Koch, “The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data,” Biometrics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 159–174, 1977.
- E. R. DeLong, D. M. DeLong, and D. L. Clarke-Pearson, “Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach,” Biometrics, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 837–845, 1988.
- P. J. F. Snijders, A. J. C. van den Brule, and C. J. L. M. Meijer, “The clinical relevance of human papillomavirus testing: relationship between analytical and clinical sensitivity,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2003.
- R. Zappacosta, D. Caraceni, L. Ciccocioppo et al., “Is HPV-DNA testing a useful tool in predicting low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion outcome? A retrospective longitudinal study,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 317–326, 2010.
- W. Qu, G. Jiang, Y. Cruz et al., “PCR detection of human papillomavirus: comparison between MY09/MY11 and GP5+/GP6+ primer systems,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1304–1310, 1997.
- M. Arbyn, P. Sasieni, C. J. L. M. Meijer, C. Clavel, G. Koliopoulos, and J. Dillner, “Chapter 9: clinical applications of HPV testing: a summary of meta-analyses,” Vaccine, vol. 24, supplement 3, pp. S78–S89, 2006.
- M. F. Evans and K. Cooper, “Human papillomavirus integration: detection by in situ hybridization and potential clinical application,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 202, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2004.
- M. Montag, T. J. F. Blankenstein, N. Shabani, A. Brüning, and I. Mylonas, “Evaluation of two commercialised in situ hybridisation assays for detecting HPV-DNA in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 284, no. 4, pp. 999–1005, 2011.
- K. T. Kuo, C. H. Hsiao, C. H. Lin, L. Kuo, S. Huang, and M. Lin, “The biomarkers of human papillomavirus infection in tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma-molecular basis and predicting favorable outcome,” Modern Pathology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 376–386, 2008.
- A. Luginbuhl, M. Sanders, and J. D. Spiro, “Prevalence, morphology, and prognosis of human papillomavirus in tonsillar cancer,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 118, no. 10, pp. 742–749, 2009.
- M. F. Evans, H. A. Aliesky, and K. Cooper, “Optimization of biotinyl-tyramide-based in situ hybridization for sensitive background-free applications on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue specimens,” BMC Clinical Pathology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2003.
- M. F. Evans, A. Matthews, D. Kandil, C. S. Adamson, W. E. Trotman, and K. Cooper, “Discrimination of “Driver” and “Passenger” HPV in tonsillar carcinomas by the polymerase chain reaction, chromogenic in situ hybridization, and immunohistochemistry,” Head and Neck Pathology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 344–348, 2011.
- G. M. Clifford, J. S. Smith, M. Plummer, N. Muñoz, and S. Franceschi, “Human papillomavirus types in invasive cervical cancer worldwide: a meta-analysis,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2003.
- L. Kraus, T. Molden, R. Holm et al., “Presence of E6 and E7 mRNA from human papillomavirus types 16, 18, 31, 33, and 45 in the majority of cervical carcinomas,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 1310–1317, 2006.
- S. de Sanjosé, M. Diaz, X. Castellsagué et al., “Worldwide prevalence and genotype distribution of cervical human papillomavirus DNA in women with normal cytology: a meta-analysis,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 453–459, 2007.
- G. Gallo, M. Bibbo, L. Bagella et al., “Study of viral integration of HPV-16 in young patients with LSIL,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 532–536, 2003.
- N. Murphy, M. Ring, C. C. B. B. Heffron et al., “, CDC6, and MCM5: predictive biomarkers in cervical preinvasive neoplasia and cervical cancer,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 525–534, 2005.
- S. S. Wang, M. Trunk, M. Schiffman et al., “Validation of as a marker of oncogenic human papillomavirus infection in cervical biopsies from a population-based cohort in Costa Rica,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1355–1360, 2004.
- I. Tsoumpou, M. Arbyn, M. Kyrgiou et al., “ immunostaining in cytological and histological specimens from the uterine cervix: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 210–220, 2009.
- R. Klaes, T. Friedrich, D. Spitkovsky et al., “Overexpression of as a specific marker for dysplastic and neoplastic epithelial cells of the cervix uteri,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 276–284, 2001.
- I. Tsoumpou, G. Valasoulis, C. Founta et al., “High-risk human papillomavirus DNA test and in the triage of LSIL: a prospective diagnostic study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 2011.
- K. J. Denton, C. Bergeron, P. Klement, M. J. Trunk, T. Keller, and R. Ridder, “The sensitivity and specificity of cytology vs HPV testing for detecting high-grade cervical disease in the triage of ASC-US and LSIL Pap cytology results,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 2010.
- C. M. Martin and J. J. O'Leary, “Histology of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and the role of biomarkers,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 605–615, 2011.
- J. L. Meyer, D. W. Hanlon, B. T. Andersen, O. F. Rasmussen, and K. Bisgaard, “Evaluation of expression in ThinPrep cervical specimens with the CINtec assay: correlation with biopsy follow-up results,” Cancer, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 83–92, 2007.
- M. del Pino, S. Garcia, V. Fusté et al., “Value of as a marker of progression/regression in cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 1,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 201, no. 5, pp. 488e1–488e7, 2009.
- L. M. Stewart, M. H. Einstein, W. K. Huh, et al., “Guidelines for the management of abnormal cervical cancer screening tests and cancer precursors,” Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease, vol. 17, pp. 1–27, 2013.