- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 459168, 7 pages
Aorta Structural Alterations in Term Neonates: The Role of Birth and Maternal Characteristics
1Cardiovascular Disease Section, Department of Emergency and Organ Transplantation, University of Bari, Piazza G. Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
2Dipartimento di Medicina Traslazionale-Laboratorio Igiene ed Medicina Ambientale, University of Piemonte Orientale A. Avogadro, Via Duomo 6, 13100 Vercelli, Italy
3Department of Cardiovascular Disease Rehabilitation, U.S.L.2, Via Guerra 21, 06127 Perugia, Italy
4Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care Section, Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Neonatology, University of Bari, Piazza G. Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Received 5 April 2013; Revised 28 June 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Egle Bytautiene
Copyright © 2013 Marco Matteo Ciccone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. S. Celermajer, C. K. Chow, E. Marijon, N. M. Anstey, and K. S. Woo, “Cardiovascular disease in the developing world: prevalences, patterns, and the potential of early disease detection,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 60, pp. 1207–1216, 2012.
- M. O'Flaherty, I. Buchan, and S. Capewell, “Contributions of treatment and lifestyle to declining CVD mortality: why have CVD mortality rates declined so much since the 1960s?” Heart, vol. 99, pp. 159–162, 2013.
- J. Viikari, H. K. Akerblom, L. Rasanen, M. Kalavainen, and O. Pietarinen, “Cardiovascular risk in young Finns: experiences from the Finnish multicentre study regarding the prevention of coronary heart disease,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, Supplement, vol. 79, no. 365, pp. 13–19, 1990.
- S. R. Dalziel, V. Parag, A. Rodgers, and J. E. Harding, “Cardiovascular risk factors at age 30 following pre-term birth,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 907–915, 2007.
- S. P. Efstathiou, I. I. Skeva, E. Zorbala, E. Georgiou, and T. D. Mountokalakis, “Metabolic syndrome in adolescence can it be predicted from natal and parental profile? the prediction of metabolic syndrome in adolescence (PREMA) study,” Circulation, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 902–910, 2012.
- M. G. Frontini, S. R. Srinivasan, J. Xu, and G. S. Berenson, “Low birth weight and longitudinal trends of cardiovascular risk factor variables from childhood to adolescence: the bogalusa heart study,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 4, article 22, 2004.
- R. E. Fisher, M. Steele, and N. A. Karrow, “Fetal programming of the neuroendocrine-immune system and metabolic disease,” Journal of Pregnancy, vol. 2012, Article ID 792934, 10 pages, 2012.
- N. Koleganova, K. Benz, G. Piecha, E. Ritz, and K. Amann, “Renal, cardiovascular and metabolic effects of fetal programming,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 27, pp. 3003–3007, 2012.
- J. R. Ingelfinger and A. M. Nuyt, “Impact of fetal programming, birth weight, and infant feeding on later hypertension,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 14, pp. 365–371, 2012.
- M. M. Ciccone, V. Miniello, R. Marchioli et al., “Morphological and functional vascular changes induced by childhood obesity,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 831–835, 2011.
- M. M. Ciccone, S. Favale, A. Bhuva et al., “Anteroposterior diameter of the infrarenal abdominal aorta is higher in women with polycystic ovary syndrome,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 5, pp. 561–566, 2009.
- E. Bertino, E. Spada, L. Occhi et al., “Neonatal anthropometric charts: the Italian neonatal study compared with other European studies,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 353–361, 2010.
- E. Bonora, G. Targher, M. Alberiche et al., “Homeostasis model assessment closely mirrors the glucose clamp technique in the assessment of insulin sensitivity: studies in subjects with various degrees of glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2000.
- E. Gesteiro, S. Bastida, and F.-J. Sánchez Muniz, “Effects of maternal glucose tolerance, pregnancy diet quality and neonatal insulinemia upon insulin resistance/sensitivity biomarkers in normoweight neonates,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1447–1455, 2011.
- M. M. Ciccone, P. Scicchitano, A. Zito et al., “Different functional cardiac characteristics observed in term/preterm neonates by echocardiography and tissue doppler imaging,” Early Human Development, vol. 87, no. 8, pp. 555–558, 2011.
- G. Mercuro, P. P. Bassareo, G. Flore, et al., “Prematurity and low weight at birth as new conditions predisposing to an increased cardiovascular risk,” European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, vol. 20, pp. 357–367, 2013.
- S. Shankaran, A. Das, C. R. Bauer et al., “Fetal origin of childhood disease: intrauterine growth restriction in term infants and risk for hypertension at 6 years of age,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 160, no. 9, pp. 977–981, 2006.
- D. Ley, H. Stale, and K. Marsal, “Aortic vessel wall characteristics and blood pressure in children with intrauterine growth retardation and abnormal foetal aortic blood flow,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 299–305, 1997.
- N. Evans, J. Hutchinson, J. M. Simpson, D. Donoghue, B. Darlow, and D. Henderson-Smart, “Prenatal predictors of mortality in very preterm infants cared for in the Australian and New Zealand Neonatal Network,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. F34–F40, 2007.
- T. Forsén, J. G. Eriksson, J. Tuomilehto, K. Teramo, C. Osmond, and D. J. P. Barker, “Mother's weight in pregnancy and coronary heart disease in a cohort of Finnish men: follow up study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7112, pp. 837–840, 1997.
- M. R. Skilton, “Intrauterine risk factors for precocious atherosclerosis,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 570–574, 2008.
- L. Poston, “Gestational weight gain: influences on the long-term health of the child,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, vol. 15, pp. 252–257, 2012.
- E. B. Anna-Karin, J. JohanBengtsson, Z. Nagy, H. De Keyzer, and M. Norman, “Preterm birth and maternal smoking in pregnancy are strong risk factors for aortic narrowing in adolescence,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 1080–1085, 2008.
- T. Gunes, E. Koklu, A. Yikilmaz et al., “Influence of maternal smoking on neonatal aortic intima-media thickness, serum IGF-I and IGFBP-3 levels,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 166, no. 10, pp. 1039–1044, 2007.
- G. Cohen, H. Jeffery, H. Lagercrantz, and M. Katz-Salamon, “Long-term reprogramming of cardiovascular function in infants of active smokers,” Hypertension, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 722–728, 2010.
- E. Giannitsis, H. J. Siemens, R. Mitusch et al., “Prothrombin fragments F1+2, thrombin-antithrombin III complexes, fibrin monomers and fibrinogen in patients with coronary atherosclerosis,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 269–274, 1999.
- J. Krupinski, E. Catena, M. Miguel et al., “D-dimer local expression is increased in symptomatic patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 174–179, 2007.
- J.-P. Empana, F. Canoui-Poitrine, G. Luc et al., “Contribution of novel biomarkers to incident stable angina and acute coronary syndrome: the PRIME Study,” European Heart Journal, vol. 29, no. 16, pp. 1966–1974, 2008.
- M. Altman, A. K. Edstedt Bonamy, A. K. Wikström, and S. Cnattingius, “Cause-specific infant mortality in a population-based Swedish study of term and post-term births: the contribution of gestational age and birth weight,” BMJ Open, vol. 2, no. 4, 2012.
- R. N. H. Touwslager, A. J. H. M. Houben, M. Gielen et al., “Endothelial vasodilatation in newborns is related to body size and maternal hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2012.
- J. Eriksson, T. Forsén, J. Tuomilehto, C. Osmond, and D. Barker, “Size at birth, childhood growth and obesity in adult life,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 735–740, 2001.
- L. E. Simental-Mendía, A. Castañeda-Chacón, M. Rodríguez-Morán, and F. Guerrero-Romero, “Birth-weight, insulin levels, and HOMA-IR in newborns at term,” BMC Pediatr, vol. 12, article 94, 2012.
- E. Gesteiro, S. Bastida, and F. J. Sánchez-Muniz, “Insulin resistance markers in term, normoweight neonates. the Mérida cohort,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 281–288, 2009.
- A. Iannuzzi, M. R. Licenziati, C. Acampora et al., “Preclinical changes in the mechanical properties of abdominal aorta in obese children,” Metabolism, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1243–1246, 2004.