- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 459196, 8 pages
Vasculoprotective Effects of Combined Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Diabetic Wound Care: Their Potential Role in Decreasing Wound-Oxidative Stress
1Inter-Department of Physiology, Graduate School, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
2Stem Cell and Cell Therapy Research Unit, Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
3King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
4Department of Physiology, Center of Excellence for Microcirculation, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Received 9 March 2013; Revised 10 May 2013; Accepted 15 May 2013
Academic Editor: Dimitrios P. Bogdanos
Copyright © 2013 Supakanda Sukpat et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Reimann, E. Bonifacio, M. Solimena et al., “An update on preventive and regenerative therapies in diabetes mellitus,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 317–331, 2009.
- R. E. Pecoraro, G. E. Reiber, and E. M. Burgess, “Pathways to diabetic limb amputation. Basis for prevention,” Diabetes Care, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 513–521, 1990.
- G. E. Reiber, R. E. Pecoraro, and T. D. Koepsell, “Risk factors for amputation in patients with diabetes mellitus. A case-control study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 97–105, 1992.
- G. K. Kolluru, S. C. Bir, and C. G. Kevil, “Endothelial dysfunction and diabetes: effects on angiogenesis, vascular remodeling, and wound healing,” International Journal of Vascular Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 918267, 30 pages, 2012.
- R. Blakytny and E. Jude, “The molecular biology of chronic wounds and delayed healing in diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 594–608, 2006.
- L. Debin, J. Youzhao, L. Ziwen, L. Xiaoyan, Z. Zhonghui, and C. Bing, “Autologous transplantation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells on diabetic patients with lower limb ischemia,” Journal of Medical Colleges of PLA, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 106–115, 2008.
- T. Iwase, N. Nagaya, T. Fujii et al., “Comparison of angiogenic potency between mesenchymal stem cells and mononuclear cells in a rat model of hindlimb ischemia,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 543–551, 2005.
- Y. Wu, L. Chen, P. G. Scott, and E. E. Tredget, “Mesenchymal stem cells enhance wound healing through differentiation and angiogenesis,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2648–2659, 2007.
- B. Zhou, X. Cao, Z. Fang et al., “Prevention of diabetic microangiopathy by prophylactic transplant of mobilized peripheral blood mononuclear cells,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2007.
- V. Falanga, S. Iwamoto, M. Chartier et al., “Autologous bone marrow-derived cultured mesenchymal stem cells delivered in a fibrin spray accelerate healing in murine and human cutaneous wounds,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1299–1312, 2007.
- M. D. Menger and H. Lehr, “Scope and perspectives of intravital microscopy—bridge over from in vitro to in vivo,” Immunology Today, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 519–522, 1993.
- J. Somchaichana, T. Bunaprasert, and S. Patumraj, “Acanthus ebracteatus Vahl. ethanol extract enhancement of the efficacy of the collagen scaffold in wound closure: a study in a full-thickness-wound mouse model,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 754527, 8 pages, 2012.
- M. Masutani, H. Suzuki, N. Kamada et al., “Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase gene disruption conferred mice resistant to streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 2301–2304, 1999.
- S. Lenzen, “The mechanisms of alloxan- and streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 216–226, 2008.
- A. Medina, P. G. Scott, A. Ghahary, and E. E. Tredget, “Pathophysiology of chronic nonhealing wounds,” Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 306–319, 2005.
- J. Li, J. Chen, and R. Kirsner, “Pathophysiology of acute wound healing,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2007.
- D. R. Knighton, G. D. Phillips, and V. D. Fiegel, “Wound healing angiogenesis: indirect stimulation by basic fibroblast growth factor,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 30, no. 12, supplement, pp. S134–S144, 1990.
- S. S. Brem, P. M. Gullino, and D. Medina, “Angiogenesis: a marker for neoplastic transformation of mammary papillary hyperplasia,” Science, vol. 195, no. 4281, pp. 880–882, 1977.
- L. E. Huang, Z. Arany, D. M. Livingston, and H. Franklin Bunn, “Activation of hypoxia-inducible transcription factor depends primarily upon redox-sensitive stabilization of its α subunit,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 50, pp. 32253–32259, 1996.
- S. Enoch and D. J. Leaper, “Basic science of wound healing,” Surgery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 31–37, 2008.
- A. J. Guidi, S. J. Schnitt, L. Fischer, et al., “Vascular permeability factor (vascular endothelial growth factor) expression and angiogenesis in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast,” Cancer, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1945–1953, 1997.
- N. Ojha, S. Roy, G. He et al., “Assessment of wound-site redox environment and the significance of Rac2 in cutaneous healing,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 682–691, 2008.
- B. D'Autréaux and M. B. Toledano, “ROS as signalling molecules: mechanisms that generate specificity in ROS homeostasis,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 813–824, 2007.
- A. E. Sakallıoğlu, Ö. Başaran, B. H. Özdemir, et al., “Local and systemic interactions related to serum transforming growth factor-β levels in burn wounds of various depths,” Burns, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 980–985, 2006.