- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 460927, 7 pages
Lactobacillus plantarum LG42 Isolated from Gajami Sik-Hae Inhibits Adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 Adipocyte
1Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju 561-756, Republic of Korea
2Jeonju Makgeolli Research Center, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju 561-756, Republic of Korea
3Department of Food and Biotechnology, Woosuk University, Jeonbuk 565-701, Republic of Korea
Received 3 October 2012; Accepted 17 December 2012
Academic Editor: Fabio Ferreira Perazzo
Copyright © 2013 Jeong-Eun Park et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. S. Jung, S. H. Lee, and K. L. Woo, “Effect of salting levels on the changes of taste constituents of domestic fermented flounder sikhae of Hamkyeng-Do,” Journal of Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 1992.
- J. H. Yoon, S. S. Kang, K. C. Lee et al., “Bacillus jeotgali sp. nov., isolated from jeotgal, Korean traditional fermented seafood,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 1087–1092, 2001.
- C. H. Lee, “Lactic acid fermented foods and their benefits in Asia,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 187–197, 1996.
- H. J. Lee, Y. J. Joo, C. S. Park et al., “Purification and characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Lactococcus lactis subsp, lactis H-559 isolated from kimchi,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 153–159, 1999.
- S. J. Kim, “Potential probiotic properties of lactic acid bacteria isolated from kimchi,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 547–550, 2005.
- A. S. Naidu, W. R. Bidlack, and R. A. Clemens, “Probiotic spectra of lactic acid bacteria (LAB),” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 13–126, 1999.
- F. Leroy and L. De Vuyst, “Lactic acid bacteria as functional starter cultures for the food fermentation industry,” Trends in Food Science & Technology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 67–78, 2004.
- B. Goldin and S. L. Gorbach, “Alterations in fecal microflora enzymes related to diet, age, lactobacillus supplements, and dimethylhydrazine,” Cancer, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 2421–2426, 1977.
- S. E. Gilliland and D. K. Walker, “Factors to consider when selecting a culture of Lactobacillus acidophilus as a dietary adjunct to produce a hypocholesterolemic effect in humans,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 905–911, 1990.
- R. Fuller, “Probiotics in human medicine,” Gut, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 439–442, 1991.
- H. Poo, H. M. Pyo, T. Y. Lee et al., “Oral administration of human papillomavirus type 16 E7 displayed on Lactobacillus casei induces E7-specific antitumor effects in C57/BL6 mice,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 119, no. 7, pp. 1702–1709, 2006.
- H. Y. Lee, J. H. Park, S. H. Seok et al., “Human originated bacteria, Lactobacillus rhamnosus PL60, produce conjugated linoleic acid and show anti-obesity effects in diet-induced obese mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1761, no. 7, pp. 736–744, 2006.
- P. Krogsgaard-Larsen, “GABA receptors,” in Receptor Phamacology and Function, M. Williams, R. A. Glennon, and P. M. W. M. Timmermans, Eds., pp. 349–383, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- B. V. Manyam, L. Katz, T. A. Hare, K. Kaniefski, and R. D. Tremblay, “Isoniazid-induced elevation of CSF GABA levels and effects on chorea in Huntington's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 35–37, 1981.
- C. F. Liu, Y. T. Tung, C. L. Wu, B. H. Lee, W. H. Hsu, and T. M. Pan, “Antihypertensive effects of Lactobacillus-fermented milk orally administered to spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 4537–4543, 2011.
- M. Omori, T. Yano, J. Okamoto, T. Tsushida, T. Murai, and M. Higuchi, “Effect of anaerobic treated tea (Gabaron Tea) on blood pressure of spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Journal of the Agricultural Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1449–1451, 1987.
- H. Aoki, Y. Furuya, Y. Endo, and K. Fujimoto, “Effect of γ-aminobutyric acid-enriched tempeh-like fermented soybean (GABA-tempeh) on the blood pressure of spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 1806–1808, 2003.
- M. O. Bae, H. J. Kim, Y. S. Cha, M. K. Lee, and S. H. Oh, “Effects of Kimchi lactic acid bacteria Lactobacillus sp. OPK2-59 with high GABA producing capacity on liver function improvement,” Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1499–1505, 2009.
- Formiguera and A. Cantón, “Obesity: epidemiology and clinical aspects,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1125–1146, 2004.
- P. G. Kopelman, “Obesity as a medical problem,” Nature, vol. 404, no. 6778, pp. 635–643, 2000.
- T. Furuyashiki, H. Nagayasu, Y. Aoki et al., “Tea catechin suppresses adipocyte differentiation accompanied by down-regulation of PPARγ2 and C/EBPα in 3T3-L1 cells,” Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 2353–2359, 2004.
- Y. W. Wang and P. J. Jones, “Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 941–955, 2004.
- X. Guo and K. Liao, “Analysis of gene expression profile during 3T3-L1 preadipocyte differentiation,” Gene, vol. 251, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2000.
- L. S. Wise and H. Green, “Participation of one isozyme of cytosolic glycerophosphate dehydrogenase in the adipose conversion of 3T3 cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 254, no. 2, pp. 273–275, 1979.
- E. D. Rosen, C. J. Walkey, P. Puigserver, and B. M. Spiegelman, “Transcriptional regulation of adipogenesis,” Genes and Development, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1293–1307, 2000.
- J. Berger and D. E. Moller, “The mechanisms of action of PPARs,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 53, pp. 409–435, 2002.
- T. Kawada, N. Takahashi, and T. Fushiki, “Biochemical and physiological characteristics of fat cell,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2001.
- N. H. Kim, P. D. Moon, S. J. Kim et al., “Lipid profile lowering effect of Soypro fermented with lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi in high-fat diet-induced obese rats,” BioFactors, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 49–60, 2008.
- P. Tontonoz, E. Hu, R. A. Graves, A. I. Budavari, and B. M. Spieglman, “mPPAR gamma 2: tissue-specific regulator of an adipocyte enhancer,” Genes and Development, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1224–1234, 1994.
- G. S. Hotamisligil, R. S. Johnson, R. J. Distel, R. Ellis, V. E. Papaioannou, and B. M. Spiegelman, “Uncoupling of obesity from insulin resistance through a targeted mutation in aP2, the adipocyte fatty acid binding protein,” Science, vol. 274, no. 5291, pp. 1377–1379, 1996.
- L. Qiao, C. Zou, P. Shao, J. Schaack, P. F. Johnson, and J. Shao, “Transcriptional regulation of fatty acid translocase/CD36 expression by CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein α,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 14, pp. 8788–8795, 2008.
- H. Muller, K. Deckers, and J. Eckel, “The fatty acid translocase (FAT)/CD36 and the glucose transporter GLUT4 are localized in different cellular compartments in rat cardiac muscle,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. 665–669, 2002.
- B. I. Frohnert, T. Y. Hui, and D. A. Bernlohr, “Identification of a functional peroxisome proliferator-responsive element in the murine fatty acid transport protein gene,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 7, pp. 3970–3977, 1999.
- D. S. Weigle, T. R. Bukowski, D. C. Foster et al., “Recombinant ob protein reduces feeding and body weight in the ob/ob mouse,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 2065–2070, 1995.
- H. J. Lee and W. J. Kim, “Isolation and characterization of anti-listerial and amylase sensitive enterocin producing Enterococcus faecium DB1 from gajami-sikhae, a fermented flat fish in Korea,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 373–381, 2010.
- K. Y. Park and H. S. Cheigh, “Antimutagenic and anticancer effects of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi,” Bioindustry News, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 11–17, 2000.
- J. Schrezenmeir and M. de Vrese, “Probiotics, prebiotics, and synbiotics—approaching a definition,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 2, supplement, pp. 361S–364S, 2001.
- F. P. J. Martin, Y. Wang, N. Sprenger et al., “Probiotic modulation of symbiotic gut microbial-host metabolic interactions in a humanized microbiome mouse model,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 4, article 157, 2008.
- K. Manabu and H. Fang, “Anti-obesity effects of probiotics in fermented milk,” Journal of Intestinal Microbiology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 265–271, 2010.
- J. Z. Xiao, S. Kondo, N. Takahashi et al., “Effects of milk products fermented by Bifidobacterium longum on blood lipids in rats and healthy adult male volunteers,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 2452–2461, 2003.
- M. Thirabunyanon, P. Boonprasom, and P. Niamsup, “Probiotic potential of lactic acid bacteria isolated from fermented dairy milks on antiproliferation of colon cancer cells,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 571–576, 2009.
- H. J. Hur, K. W. Lee, H. Y. Kim, D. K. Chung, and H. J. Lee, “In vitro immunopotentiating activities of cellular fractions of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi and bifidobacteria,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 661–666, 2006.
- Y. J. Moon, J. R. Soh, J. J. Yu, H. S. Sohn Y. S, Cha, and S. H. Oh, “Intracellular lipid accumulation inhibitory effect of Weissella koreensis OK1-6 isolated from Kimchi on differentiating adipocyte,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 652–658, 2012.
- J. R. Soh, N. S. Kim, C. H. Oh, S. H. Oh, and Y. S. Cha, “Carnithine and/or GABA supplementation increases immune function and changes lipid profiles and some lipid soluble vitamins in mice chronically administered alcohol,” Journal of Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 196–205, 2010.
- Y. G. An, “Probiotic lactic acid bacteria,” Journal of Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 817–832, 2011.
- Y. Xu, G. O. William, C. C. Lee, G. M. Martin, and T. Qingchun, “Role of GABA release from leptin receptor-expressing neurons in body weight regulation,” Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 5, pp. 2223–2233, 2012.