- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 460936, 15 pages
Prolonged Delivery of Ciprofloxacin and Diclofenac Sodium from a Polymeric Fibre Device for the Treatment of Peridontal Disease
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown 2193, Johannesburg, South Africa
Received 13 August 2013; Accepted 19 September 2013
Academic Editor: Xin Ming
Copyright © 2013 Deanne Johnston et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Research, Science and Therapeutic Committee of the American Academy Periodontology, “Academy report: treatment of plaque-induced gingivitis, chronic periodontitis, and other clinical conditions,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 72, no. 12, pp. 1790–1800, 2001.
- B. L. Pihlstrom, B. S. Michalowicz, and N. W. Johnson, “Periodontal diseases,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9499, pp. 1809–1820, 2005.
- M. E. Ryan, “Nonsurgical approaches for the treatment of periodontal diseases,” The Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 611–636, 2005.
- I. L. C. Chapple, “Periodontal diagnosis and treatment—where does the future lie?” Periodontology 2000, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 9–24, 2009.
- N. J. Medlicott, M. J. Rathbone, I. G. Tucker, and D. W. Holborow, “Delivery systems for the administration of drugs to the periodontal pocket,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 181–203, 1994.
- W. A. Soskolne, “Subgingival delivery of therapeutic agents in the treatment of periodontal diseases,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 164–174, 1997.
- N. Jain, G. K. Jain, S. Javed et al., “Recent approaches for the treatment of periodontitis,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 13, no. 21-22, pp. 932–943, 2008.
- S. Vardar, H. Baylas, and A. Huseyinov, “Effects of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition on gingival tissue levels of prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin F2α and clinical parameters of chronic periodontitis,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2003.
- J. M. Goodson, A. Haffajee, and S. S. Socransky, “Periodontal therapy by local delivery of tetracycline,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 83–92, 1979.
- J. M. Goodson, D. Holborow, R. L. Dunn, P. Hogan, and S. Dunham, “Monolithic tetracycline-containing fibers for controlled delivery to periodontal pockets,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 575–579, 1983.
- L. Heijl, G. Dahlen, Y. Sundin, A. Wenander, and J. M. Goodson, “A 4-quadrant comparative study of periodontal treatment using tetracycline-containing drug delivery fibers and scaling,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 1991.
- M. G. Newman, K. S. Kornman, and F. M. Doherty, “A 6-month multi-center evaluation of adjunctive tetracycline fiber therapy used in conjunction with scaling and root planing in maintenance patients: clinical results,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 685–691, 1994.
- S. P. Vyas, V. Sihorkar, and V. Mishra, “Controlled and targeted drug delivery strategies towards intraperiodontal pocket diseases,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 21–42, 2000.
- H.-I. Chang, Y.-C. Lau, C. Yan, and A. G. A. Coombes, “Controlled release of an antibiotic, gentamicin sulphate, from gravity spun polycaprolactone fibers,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 230–237, 2008.
- M. Zamani, M. Morshed, J. Varshosaz, and M. Jannesari, “Controlled release of metronidazole benzoate from poly ε-caprolactone electrospun nanofibers for periodontal diseases,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2010.
- O. Smidsrød and G. Skjåk-Bræk, “Alginate as an immobilization matrix for cells,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 71–78, 1990.
- A. D. Augst, H. J. Kong, and D. J. Mooney, “Alginate hydrogels as biomaterials,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 623–633, 2006.
- A. Haug and O. Smidsrød, “The effect of divalent metal ions on the properties of alginate solutions II. Comparison of different metal ions,” Acta Chemica Scandinavica, vol. 19, pp. 341–351, 1965.
- G. T. Grant, E. R. Morris, D. A. Rees, P. J. A. Smith, and D. Thom, “Biological interactions between polysaccharides and divalent cations: the egg box model,” FEBS Letters, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 195–198, 1973.
- S. K. Bajpai and S. Sharma, “Investigation of swelling/degradation behaviour of alginate beads crosslinked with Ca2+ and Ba2+ ions,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 129–140, 2004.
- A. Jejurikar, G. Lawrie, D. Martin, and L. Grøndahl, “A novel strategy for preparing mechanically robust ionically cross-linked alginate hydrogels,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID 025010, pp. 1–12, 2011.
- P. N. Galgut, “The relevance of pH to gingivitis and periodontitis,” Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 61–67, 2001.
- S. Al-Musa, D. Abu Fara, and A. A. Badwan, “Evaluation of parameters involved in preparation and release of drug loaded in crosslinked matrices of alginate,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 223–232, 1999.
- V. Pillay and R. Fassihi, “In vitro release modulation from crosslinked pellets for site-specific drug delivery to the gastrointestinal tract. I. Comparison of pH-responsive drug release and associated kinetics,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 229–242, 1999.
- M. G. Ahmed, N. M. Harish, R. N. Charyulu, and P. Prabhu, “Formulation of chitosan-based ciprofloxacin and diclofenac film for periodontitis therapy,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2009.
- S. Muchalambe, P. M. Dandagi, H. S. Yogesh, R. Ravindra, and B. Gopalakrishna, “Preparation and evaluation of Sparfloxacin dental implants for treatment of periodontal diseases,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 606–611, 2010.
- D. Johnston, P. Kumar, Y. E. Choonara, L. C. du Toit, and V. Pillay, “Modulation of the nano-tensile mechanical properties of co-blended amphiphilic alginate fibers as oradurable biomaterials for specialized biomedical application,” Journal of Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 80–102, 2013.
- United States Pharmacopeia USP 23, The National Formulary NF 18, The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Rockville, Md, USA, 1995.
- P. Kumar, V. Pillay, Y. E. Choonara, G. Modi, D. Naidoo, and L. C. du Toit, “In silico theoretical molecular modeling for Alzheimer's disease: the nicotine-curcumin paradigm in neuroprotection and neurotherapy,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 694–724, 2011.
- J. Coates, “Interpretation of infrared spectra, a practical approach,” in Encyclopaedia of Analytical Chemistry, R. A. Meyers, Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2010.
- G. Lawrie, I. Keen, B. Drew et al., “Interactions between alginate and chitosan biopolymers characterized using FTIR and XPS,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2533–2541, 2007.
- K. Sakugawa, A. Ikeda, A. Takemura, and H. Ono, “Simplified method for estimation of composition of alginates by FTIR,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 1372–1377, 2004.
- M. E. Swartz, “Ultra performance liquid chromatography (UPLC): an introduction,” in Separation Science Redefined, pp. 8–14, 2005.
- R. C. Mundargi, S. Srirangarajan, S. A. Agnihotri et al., “Development and evaluation of novel biodegradable microspheres based on poly(d,l-lactide-co-glycolide) and poly(ε-caprolactone) for controlled delivery of doxycycline in the treatment of human periodontal pocket: in vitro and in vivo studies,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2007.
- A. C. Hodsdon, J. R. Mitchell, M. C. Davies, and C. D. Melia, “Structure and behaviour in hydrophilic matrix sustained release dosage forms: 3. The influence of pH on the sustained-release performance and internal gel structure of sodium alginate matrices,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 143–152, 1995.
- H. H. Tønnesen and J. Karlsen, “Alginate in drug delivery systems,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 621–630, 2002.
- Y. E. Choonara, V. Pillay, V. M. K. Ndesendo et al., “Polymeric emulsion and crosslink-mediated synthesis of super-stable nanoparticles as sustained-release anti-tuberculosis drug carriers,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 243–254, 2011.
- M. A. da Silva, A. C. K. Bierhalz, and T. G. Kieckbusch, “Alginate and pectin composite films crosslinked with Ca2+ ions: effect of the plasticizer concentration,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 736–742, 2009.
- I. Braccini and S. Pérez, “Molecular basis of Ca2+-induced gelation in alginates and pectins: the egg-box model revisited,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1089–1096, 2001.
- J. Gutiérrez-Rocca and J. W. McGinity, “Influence of water soluble and insoluble plasticizers on the physical and mechanical properties of acrylic resin copolymers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 293–301, 1994.