- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 461204, 9 pages
Improvement of L-Arabinose Fermentation by Modifying the Metabolic Pathway and Transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
The State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Shan Da Nan Road No. 27, Jinan 250100, China
Received 18 June 2013; Accepted 25 August 2013
Academic Editor: Gotthard Kunze
Copyright © 2013 Chengqiang Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. den Haan, H. Kroukamp, M. Mert, M. Bloom, J. F. Görgens, and W. H. van Zyl, “Engineering Saccharomyces cerevisiae for next generation ethanol production,” Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 983–991, 2013.
- W. E. Mabee, “Policy options to support biofuel production,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 108, pp. 329–357, 2007.
- A. E. Farrell, R. J. Plevin, B. T. Turner, A. D. Jones, M. O'Hare, and D. M. Kammen, “Ethanol can contribute to energy and environmental goals,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5760, pp. 506–508, 2006.
- B. Hahn-Hägerdal, M. Galbe, M. F. Gorwa-Grauslund, G. Lidén, and G. Zacchi, “Bio-ethanol—the fuel of tomorrow from the residues of today,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 549–556, 2006.
- M. Galbe and G. Zacchi, “A review of the production of ethanol from softwood,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 618–628, 2002.
- S. R. Kim, S. Ha, N. Wei, E. J. Oh, and Y. Jin, “Simultaneous co-fermentation of mixed sugars: a promising strategy for producing cellulosic ethanol,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 274–282, 2012.
- B. Seiboth and B. Metz, “Fungal arabinan and L-arabinose metabolism,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1665–1673, 2011.
- H. W. Wisselink, M. J. Toirkens, M. D. R. F. Berriel et al., “Engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for efficient anaerobic alcoholic fermentation of L-arabinose,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 15, pp. 4881–4891, 2007.
- B. Hahn-Hägerdal, K. Karhumaa, M. Jeppsson, and M. F. Gorwa-Grauslund, “Metabolic engineering for pentose utilization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, vol. 108, pp. 147–177, 2007.
- R. Schleif, “Regulation of the L-arabinose operon of Escherichia coli,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 559–565, 2000.
- C. Fonseca, R. Romão, H. R. de Sousa, B. Hahn-Hägerdal, and I. Spencer-Martins, “L-arabinose transport and catabolism in yeast,” FEBS Journal, vol. 274, no. 14, pp. 3589–3600, 2007.
- M. Bettiga, O. Bengtsson, B. Hahn-Hägerdal, and M. F. Gorwa-Grauslund, “Arabinose and xylose fermentation by recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae expressing a fungal pentose utilization pathway,” Microbial Cell Factories, vol. 8, article 40, 2009.
- J. Becker and E. Boles, “A modified Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain that consumes L-arabinose and produces ethanol,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 4144–4150, 2003.
- M. Sedlak and N. W. Y. Ho, “Expression of E. coliaraBAD operon encoding enzymes for metabolizing L-arabinose in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 16–24, 2001.
- B. Wiedemann and E. Boles, “Codon-optimized bacterial genes improve L-arabinose fermentation in recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 2043–2050, 2008.
- H. W. Wisselink, C. Cipollina, B. Oud et al., “Metabolome, transcriptome and metabolic flux analysis of arabinose fermentation by engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 537–551, 2010.
- K. D. Entian and P. Kötter, “23 yeast mutant and plasmid collections,” in Methods in Microbiology, J. P. B. Alistair and T. Mick, Eds., pp. 431–449, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- U. Güldener, S. Heck, T. Fiedler, J. Beinhauer, and J. H. Hegemann, “A new efficient gene disruption cassette for repeated use in budding yeast,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 2519–2524, 1996.
- B. Peng, Y. Shen, X. Li, X. Chen, J. Hou, and X. Bao, “Improvement of xylose fermentation in respiratory-deficient xylose-fermenting Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2012.
- M. Walfridsson, M. Anderlund, X. Bao, and B. Hahn-Hägerdal, “Expression of different levels of enzymes from the Pichia stipitis XYL1 and XYL2 genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and its effects on product formation during xylose utilisation,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 218–224, 1997.
- K. Struhl, D. T. Stinchcomb, S. Scherer, and R. W. Davis, “High-frequency transformation of yeast: autonomous replication of hybrid DNA molecules,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 1035–1039, 1979.
- X. Liu, X. Zhang, C. Wang, L. Liu, M. Lei, and X. Bao, “Genetic and comparative transcriptome analysis of bromodomain factor 1 in the salt stress response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Current Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 325–330, 2007.
- Y. Shen, X. Chen, B. Peng, L. Chen, J. Hou, and X. Bao, “An efficient xylose-fermenting recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain obtained through adaptive evolution and its global transcription profile,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1079–1091, 2012.
- P. M. Sharp and W. Li, “The codon adaptation index—a measure of directional synonymous codon usage bias, and its potential applications,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1281–1295, 1987.
- L. Ji, Y. Shen, L. Xu, B. Peng, Y. Xiao, and X. Bao, “Enhanced resistance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to vanillin by expression of lacA from Trametes sp. AH28-2,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 17, pp. 8105–8109, 2011.
- R. D. Gietz, R. H. Schiestl, A. R. Willems, and R. A. Woods, “Studies on the transformation of intact yeast cells by the LiAc/SS-DNA/PEG procedure,” Yeast, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 355–360, 1995.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- M. von Sivers and G. Zacchi, “Ethanol from lignocellulosics: a review of the economy,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 56, no. 2-3, pp. 131–140, 1996.
- G. Wu, Y. Zheng, I. Qureshi et al., “SGDB: a database of synthetic genes re-designed for optimizing protein over-expression,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, supplement 1, pp. D76–D79, 2007.
- T. Subtil and E. Boles, “Improving L-arabinose utilization of pentose fermenting Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells by heterologous expression of L-arabinose transporting sugar transporters,” Biotechnology for Biofuels, vol. 4, p. 38, 2011.