- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 461329, 13 pages
Reevaluating the Role of Acanthamoeba Proteases in Tissue Invasion: Observation of Cytopathogenic Mechanisms on MDCK Cell Monolayers and Hamster Corneal Cells
1UIICSE Faculty of Superior Studies Iztacala, Medicine, UNAM, Los Reyes Iztacala, 54090 Tlalnepantla, MEX, Mexico
2Department of Infectomics and Molecular Pathogenesis, Center for Research and Advanced Studies, 07360 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
3University Institute of Tropical Diseases and Public Health of the Canary Islands, University of la Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands, 38200 La Laguna, Spain
Received 22 October 2012; Revised 4 December 2012; Accepted 7 December 2012
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2013 Maritza Omaña-Molina et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. J. Brown, R. T. M. Cursons, and E. A. Keys, “Amoebae from antarctic soil and water,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 491–493, 1982.
- M. Niyyati, J. Lorenzo-Morales, F. Rahimi et al., “Isolation and genotyping of potentially pathogenic Acanthamoeba strains from dust sources in Iran,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 425–427, 2009.
- T. K. Sawyer, “Free-living pathogenic and nonpathogenic amoebae in Maryland soils,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1074–1077, 1989.
- J. F. De Jonckheere, “Ecology of Acanthamoeba,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. S385–S387, 1991.
- Z. Szénási, T. Endo, K. Yagita, and E. Nagy, “Isolation, identification and increasing importance of “free-living” amoebae causing human disease,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 5–16, 1998.
- F. Rivera, M. Galvan, and E. Robles, “Bottled mineral waters polluted by protozoa in Mexico,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 54–56, 1981.
- J. M. Schroeder, G. C. Booton, J. Hay et al., “Use of subgenic 18S ribosomal DNA PCR and sequencing for genus and genotype identification of Acanthamoebae from humans with keratitis and from sewage sludge,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1903–1911, 2001.
- A. Garner, “Pathogenesis of acanthamoebic keratitis: hypothesis based on a histological analysis of 30 cases,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 366–370, 1993.
- B. Tan, C. M. Weldon-Linne, D. P. Rhone, C. L. Penning, and G. S. Visvesvara, “Acanthamoeba infection presenting as skin lesions in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 117, no. 10, pp. 1043–1046, 1993.
- G. S. Visvesvara and J. K. Stehr-Green, “Epidemiology of free-living ameba infections,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 25S–33S, 1990.
- Z. Caot, D. M. Jefferson, and N. Panjwani, “Role of carbohydrate-mediated adherence in cytopathogenic mechanisms of Acanthamoeba,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 25, pp. 15838–15845, 1998.
- P. L. Fiori, A. Mattana, D. Dessì, S. Conti, W. Magliani, and L. Polonelli, “In vitro acanthamoebicidal activity of a killer monoclonal antibody and a synthetic peptide,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 891–898, 2006.
- N. A. Khan, “Acanthamoeba: Biology and increasing importance in human health,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 564–595, 2006.
- L. D. Morton, G. L. McLaughlin, and H. E. Whiteley, “Effects of temperature, amebic strain, and carbohydrates on Acanthamoeba adherence to corneal epithelium in vitro,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 3819–3822, 1991.
- N. Panjwani, Z. Zhao, J. Baum, L. D. Hazlett, and Z. Yang, “Acanthamoebae bind to rabbit corneal epithelium in vitro,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1858–1864, 1997.
- Z. Yang, Z. Cao, and N. Panjwani, “Pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba keratitis: carbohydrate-mediated host- parasite interactions,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 439–445, 1997.
- M. Omaña-Molina, A. González-Robles, L. I. Salazar-Villatoro, et al., “Acanthamoeba castellanii: Morphological analysis of the interaction with human cornea,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 73–76, 2010.
- M. Omaña-Molina, F. Navarro-García, A. González-Robles, et al., “Induction of morphological and electrophysiological changes in hamster cornea after in vitro interaction with trophozoites of Acanthamoeba spp,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 3245–3251, 2004.
- C. G. Culbertson, J. W. Smith, H. K. Cohen, et al., “Experimental infection of mice and monkey by Acanthamoeba,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 185–197, 1959.
- J. Lorenzo-Morales, A. Ortega-Rivas, E. Martínez et al., “Acanthamoeba isolates belonging to T1, T2, T3, T4 and T7 genotypes from environmental freshwater samples in the Nile Delta region, Egypt,” Acta Tropica, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 63–69, 2006.
- G. C. Booton, D. J. Kelly, Y. W. Chu et al., “18S ribosomal DNA typing and tracking of Acanthamoeba species isolates from corneal scrape specimens, contact lenses, lens cases, and home water supplies of Acanthamoeba keratitis patients in Hong Kong,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1621–1625, 2002.
- T. R. Fritsche, M. Horn, S. Seyedirashti, R. K. Gautom, K. H. Schleifer, and M. Wagner, “In situ detection of novel bacterial endosymbionts of Acanthamoeba spp. phylogenetically related to members of the order Rickettsiales,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 206–212, 1999.
- G. S. Visvesvara, “Pathogenic and opportunistic free-living amebae,” in Manual of Clinical Microbiology, P. R. Murray, E. J. Baron, M. A. Pfaller, F. C. Tenover, and R. H. Yolken, Eds., pp. 1196–1203, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, USA, 6th edition, 1995.
- F. Rivera, G. Roy-Ocotla, and I. Rosas, “Amoebae isolated from the atmosphere of Mexico City and environs,” Environmental Research, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 149–154, 1987.
- F. Rivera, F. Lares, E. Gallegos et al., “Pathogenic amoebae in natural thermal waters of three resorts of hidalgo, Mexico,” Environmental Research, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 289–295, 1989.
- R. Campos-Rodríguez, G. Oliver-Aguillón, L. M. Vega-Pérez, et al., “Human IgA inhibits adherence of Acanthamoeba polyphaga to epithelial cells and contact lenses,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 711–718, 2004.
- J. D. J. Serrano-Luna, I. Cervantes-Sandoval, J. Calderón, F. Navarro-García, V. Tsutsumi, and M. Shibayama, “Protease activities of Acanthamoeba polyphaga and Acanthamoeba castellanii,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 16–23, 2006.
- K. Mitro, A. Bhagavathiammai, O. M. Zhou et al., “Partial characterization of the proteolytic secretions of Acanthamoeba polyphaga,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 377–385, 1994.
- C. D. Illingworth, S. D. Cook, C. H. Karabatsas, and D. L. Easty, “Acanthamoeba keratitis: risk factors and outcome,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 1078–1082, 1995.
- M. Levandowsky, B. S. White, and F. L. Schuster, “Random movements of soil amebas,” Acta Protozoologica, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 237–248, 1997.
- N. Takaoka-Sugihara, S. Yamagami, S. Yokoo, et al., “Cytopathic effect of Acanthamoeba on human corneal fibroblasts,” Molecular Vision, vol. 18, pp. 2221–2228, 2012.
- S. C. Alfieri, C. E. B. Correia, S. A. Motegi, and E. M. F. Pral, “Proteinase activities in total extracts and in medium conditioned by Acanthamoeba polyphaga trophozoites,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 220–227, 2000.
- M. M. Mitra, H. Alizadeh, R. D. Gerard, and J. Y. Niederkorn, “Characterization of a plasminogen activator produced by Acanthamoeba castellanii,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 73, no. 1-2, pp. 157–164, 1995.
- D. W. Clarke and J. Y. Niederkorn, “The pathophysiology of Acanthamoeba keratitis,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 175–180, 2006.
- S. Ruqaiyyah and N. A. Khan, “Biology and pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba,” Parasites & Vectors, vol. 5, article 6, 2012.