- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 465213, 9 pages
Use of Metarhizium anisopliae Chitinase Genes for Genotyping and Virulence Characterization
International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), P.O. Box 30772, Nairobi 00100, Kenya
Received 5 April 2013; Revised 7 June 2013; Accepted 13 June 2013
Academic Editor: K. Iatrou
Copyright © 2013 Saliou Niassy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. K. Maniania and K. Takasu, “Development of microbial agents at the centre for insect physiology and ecology,” Bulletin of the Institute of Tropical Agriculture, pp. 291–299, 2006.
- S. Ekesi and N. K. Maniania, “Metarhizium anisopliae: an effective biological control agent for the management of thrips in horti and floriculture in Africa,” in Advances in Microbial Control of Insects Pests, R. K. Upadhyay, Ed., Kluwer Academic/Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- D. Chandler, G. Davidson, W. P. Grant, J. Greaves, and G. M. Tatchell, “Microbial biopesticides for integrated crop management: an assessment of environmental and regulatory sustainability,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 275–283, 2008.
- L. Lacey, Manual of Techniques Insects Pathology, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- R. J. S. Leger, L. Joshi, M. J. Bidochka, N. W. Rizzo, and D. W. Roberts, “Characterization and ultrastructural localization of chitinases from Metarhizium anisopliae, M. flavoviride, and Beauveria bassiana during fungal invasion of host (Manduca sexta) cuticle,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 907–912, 1996.
- S. E. Screen and R. J. St. Leger, “Cloning, expression, and substrate specificity of a fungal chymotrypsin. Evidence for lateral gene transfer from an actinomycete bacterium,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 9, pp. 6689–6694, 2000.
- Gang Hu, Using the fungus Metarhizium anisopliae as a model system to study the role of gene duplication, divergence and expression in adapting to pathogenicity [Ph.D. thesis], University of Maryland, 2005.
- Q. Gao, K. Jin, S. H. Ying et al., “Genome sequencing and comparative transcriptomics of the model entomopathogenic fungi Metarhizium anisopliae and M. acridum,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e1001264, 2011.
- L. Duo-Chuan, “Review of fungal chitinases,” Mycopathologia, vol. 161, no. 6, pp. 345–360, 2006.
- S. Musumeci and G. M. Paoletti, Binomium Chitin-Chitinase: Recent Issues, Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- M. Rai and G. Kovics, Progress in Mycology, Springer Scientific, Jodhpur, India, 2010.
- V. Seidl, C. Gamauf, I. S. Druzhinina, B. Seiboth, L. Hartl, and C. P. Kubicek, “The Hypocrea jecorina (Trichoderma reesei) hypercellulolytic mutant RUT C30 lacks a 85 kb (29 gene-encoding) region of the wild-type genome,” BMC Genomics, vol. 9, article 327, 2008.
- L. G. Baker, C. A. Specht, and J. K. Lodge, “Chitinases are essential for sexual development but not vegetative growth in Cryptococcus neoformans,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1692–1705, 2009.
- V. Seidl, L. Song, E. Lindquist et al., “Transcriptomic response of the mycoparasitic fungus Trichoderma atroviride to the presence of a fungal prey,” BMC Genomics, vol. 10, article 567, 2009.
- S. C. Kang, S. Park, and D. G. Lee, “Purification and characterization of a novel chitinase from the entomopathogenic fungus, Metarhizium anisopliae,” Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 276–281, 1999.
- M. R. Bogo, C. A. Rota, H. Pinto Jr. et al., “A Chitinase encoding gene (chit1 gene) from the entomopathogen Metarhizium anisopliae: isolation and characterization of genomic and full-length cDNA,” Current Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 221–225, 1998.
- C. M. Baratto, M. V. da Silva, L. Santi et al., “Expression and characterization of the 42 kDa chitinase of the biocontrol fungus Metarhizium anisopliae in Escherichia coli,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 723–726, 2003.
- J. Enkerli, V. Ghormade, C. Oulevey, and F. Widmer, “PCR-RFLP analysis of chitinase genes enables efficient genotyping of Metarhizium anisopliae var. anisopliae,” Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 185–188, 2009.
- C. C. Barreto, C. C. Staats, A. Schrank, and M. H. Vainstein, “Distribution of chitinases in the entomopathogen Metarhizium anisopliae and effect of N-acetylglucosamine in protein secretion,” Current Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 102–107, 2004.
- J. T. Boldo, A. Junges, K. B. do Amaral, C. C. Staats, M. H. Vainstein, and A. Schrank, “Endochitinase CHI2 of the biocontrol fungus Metarhizium anisopliae affects its virulence toward the cotton stainer bug Dysdercus peruvianus,” Current Genetics, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 551–560, 2009.
- Y. Arakane and S. Muthukrishnan, “Insect chitinase and chitinase-like proteins,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 201–216, 2010.
- C. M. Baratto, V. Dutra, J. T. Boldo, L. B. Leiria, M. H. Vainstein, and A. Schrank, “Isolation, characterization, and transcriptional analysis of the chitinase chi2 gene (DQ011663) from the biocontrol fungus Metarhizium anisopliae var. anisopliae,” Current Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 217–221, 2006.
- P. G. V. Bhanu, V. Padmaja, S. K. Jami, and P. B. Kirti, “Expression of chitinase genes of Metarhizium anisopliae isolates in lepidopteran pests and on synthetic media,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 628–635, 2012.
- W. Fang, B. Leng, Y. Xiao et al., “Cloning of Beauveria bassiana chitinase gene Bbchit1 and its application to improve fungal strain virulence,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 363–370, 2005.
- A. Drummond, B. Ashton, and S. Buxton, “Geneious v5.4,” 2011, http://www.geneious.com/.
- K. Tamura, J. Dudley, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1596–1599, 2007.
- H. Li and L. H. Greene, “Sequence and structural analysis of the chitinase insertion domain reveals two conserved motifs involved in chitin-binding,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 1, Article ID e8654, 2010.
- S. Dimbi, N. K. Maniania, S. A. Lux, S. Ekesi, and J. K. Mueke, “Pathogenicity of Metarhizium anisopliae (Metsch.) Sorokin and Beauveria bassiana (Balsamo) Vuillemin, to three adult fruit fly species: Ceratitis capitata (Weidemann), C. rosa var. fasciventris Karsch and C. cosyra (Walker) (Diptera: Tephritidae),” Mycopathologia, vol. 156, no. 4, pp. 375–382, 2003.
- S. Ekesi, N. K. Maniania, I. Onu, and B. Löhr, “Pathogenicity of entomopathogenic fungi (Hyphomycetes) to the legume flower thrips, Megalurothrips sjostedti (Trybom)(Thysan., Thripidae),” Journal of Applied Entomology, vol. 122, no. 9-10, pp. 629–634, 1998.
- D. M. Bugeme, M. Knapp, H. I. Boga, A. K. Wanjoya, and N. K. Maniania, “Influence of temperature on virulence of fungal isolates of Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana to the two-spotted spider mite Tetranychus urticae,” Mycopathologia, vol. 167, no. 4, pp. 221–227, 2009.
- L. N. Migiro, N. K. Maniania, A. Chabi-Olaye, and J. Vandenberg, “Pathogenicity of entomopathogenic fungi Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana (Hypocreales: Clavicipitaceae) isolates to the adult pea leafminer (Diptera: Agromyzidae) and prospects of an autoinoculation device for infection in the field,” Environmental Entomology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 468–475, 2010.
- S. Niassy, N. K. Maniania, S. Subramanian et al., “Selection of promising fungal biological control agent of the western flower thrips Frankliniella occidentalis (Pergande),” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 487–493, 2012.
- A. Ngakou, M. Tamò, I. A. Parh et al., “Management of cowpea flower thrips, Megalurothrips sjostedti (Thysanoptera, Thripidae), in Cameroon,” Crop Protection, vol. 27, no. 3–5, pp. 481–488, 2008.
- S. Ondiaka, N. K. Maniania, G. H. N. Nyamasyo, and J. H. Nderitu, “Virulence of the entomopathogenic fungi Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae to sweet potato weevil Cylas puncticollis and effects on fecundity and egg viability,” Annals of Applied Biology, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 2008.
- D. M. Mburu, M. W. Ndung'u, N. K. Maniania, and A. Hassanali, “Comparison of volatile blends and gene sequences of two isolates of Metarhizium anisopliae of different virulence and repellency toward the termite Macrotermes michaelseni,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 214, no. 6, pp. 956–962, 2011.
- D. M. Mburu, L. Ochola, N. K. Maniania et al., “Relationship between virulence and repellency of entomopathogenic isolates of Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana to the termite Macrotermes michaelseni,” Journal of Insect Physiology, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 774–780, 2009.
- D. M. Bugeme, N. K. Maniania, M. Knapp, and H. I. Boga, “Effect of temperature on virulence of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae isolates to Tetranychus evansi,” Experimental and Applied Acarology, vol. 46, no. 1–4, pp. 275–285, 2008.
- N. K. Maniania, “A low-cost contamination device for infecting adult tsetse flies, Glossina spp., with the entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae in the field,” Biocontrol Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2002.
- F. Nchu, N. K. Maniania, A. Touré, A. Hassanali, and J. N. Eloff, “The use of a semiochemical bait to enhance exposure of Amblyomma variegatum (Acari: Ixodidae) to Metarhizium anisopliae (Ascomycota: Hypocreales),” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 160, no. 3-4, pp. 279–284, 2009.
- P. Nana, N. K. Maniania, R. O. Maranga et al., “Attraction response of adult Rhipicephalus appendiculatus and Rhipicephalus pulchellus (Acari: Ixodidae) ticks to extracts from Calpurnia aurea (Fabaceae),” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 174, no. 1-2, pp. 124–130, 2010.
- V. W. Wekesa, N. K. Maniania, M. Knapp, and H. I. Boga, “Pathogenicity of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae to the tobacco spider mite Tetranychus evansi,” Experimental and Applied Acarology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2005.
- M. J. Bidochka, “Monitoring the fate of biocontrol fungi,” in Fungi as Biocontrol Agents: Progress Problems and Potential, T. M. Butt, C. W. Jackson, and N. Magan, Eds., pp. 193–218, CABI, Oxon, UK, 2001.
- N. V. Meyling and J. Eilenberg, “Ecology of the entomopathogenic fungi Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae in temperate agroecosystems: potential for conservation biological control,” Biological Control, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 145–155, 2007.
- S. Moreira, P. Castanheira, M. Casal, C. Faro, and M. Gama, “Expression of the functional carbohydrate-binding module (CBM) of human laforin,” Protein Expression and Purification, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 2010.
- M. Gołębiowskia, E. Malińskia, J. Nawrotb, J. Szafraneka, and P. Stepnowskia, “Identification of the cuticular lipid composition of the western flower thrips Frankliniella occidentalis,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 288–292, 2007.
- G. Moritz, “Stucture, growth and development,” in Thrips as Crop Pest, T. Lewis, Ed., pp. 1–63, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1997.
- S. Vestergaard, A. T. Gillespie, T. M. Butt, G. Schreiter, and J. Eilenberg, “Pathogenicity of the hyphomycete fungi Verticillium lecanii and Metarhizium anisopliae to the western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis,” Biocontrol Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 1995.
- N. K. Maniania, S. Ekesi, B. Löhr, and F. Mwangi, “Prospects for biological control of the western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis, with the entomopathogenic fungus, Metarhizium anisopliae, on chrysanthemum,” Mycopathologia, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 229–235, 2002.
- T. A. Ugine, S. P. Wraight, and J. P. Sanderson, “Acquisition of lethal doses of Beauveria bassiana conidia by western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis, exposed to foliar spray residues of formulated and unformulated conidia,” Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 10–23, 2005.
- J. T. Boldo, K. B. do Amaral, A. Junges et al., “Evidence of alternative splicing of the chi2 chitinase gene from Metarhizium anisopliae,” Gene, vol. 462, no. 1-2, pp. 1–7, 2010.