- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 467147, 7 pages
Preparation, Physicochemical Characterization, and Cell Viability Evaluation of Long-Circulating and pH-Sensitive Liposomes Containing Ursolic Acid
1Departamento de Produtos Farmacêuticos, Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antônio Carlos, 6627, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Centro de Microscopia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antônio Carlos, 6627, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
3Centro de Desenvolvimento de Tecnologia Nuclear (CDTN)/Comissão Nacional de Energia Nuclear (CNEN), Avenida Antônio Carlos, 6627, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Received 4 January 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Andrei Surguchov
Copyright © 2013 Sávia Caldeira de Araújo Lopes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Gautam and S. M. Jachak, “Recent developments in anti-inflammatory natural products,” Medicinal Research Reviews, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 767–820, 2009.
- S. H. Kim, J. H. Hong, and Y. C. Lee, “Ursolic acid, a potential PPARg agonist, suppresses ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation and Penh by down-regulating IL-5, IL-13, and IL-17 in a mouse model of allergic asthma,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 701, no. 1–3, pp. 131–143, 2013.
- L. Jie, “Pharmacology of oleanolic acid and ursolic acid,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 49, pp. 57–68, 1995.
- L. O. Somova, A. Nadar, P. Rammanan, and F. O. Shode, “Cardiovascular, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of oleanolic and ursolic acids in experimental hypertension,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 2-3, pp. 115–121, 2003.
- I. Bonaccorsi, F. Altieri, I. Sciamanna et al., “Endogenous reverse transcriptase as a mediator of ursolic acid's anti-proliferative and differentiating effects in human cancer cell lines,” Cancer Letters, vol. 263, no. 1, pp. 130–139, 2008.
- K. A. Manu and G. Kuttan, “Ursolic acid induces apoptosis by activating p53 and caspase-3 gene expressions and suppressing NF-κB mediated activation of bcl-2 in B16F-10 melanoma cells,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 974–981, 2008.
- C. P. R. Xavier, C. F. Lima, A. Preto, R. Seruca, M. Fernandes-Ferreira, and C. Pereira-Wilson, “Luteolin, quercetin and ursolic acid are potent inhibitors of proliferation and inducers of apoptosis in both KRAS and BRAF mutated human colorectal cancer cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 281, no. 2, pp. 162–170, 2009.
- E. Kassi, T. G. Sourlingas, M. Spiliotaki et al., “Ursolic acid triggers apoptosis and Bcl-2 downregulation in MCF-7 breast cancer cells,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 723–733, 2009.
- S.-L. Yan, C.-Y. Huang, S.-T. Wu, and M.-C. Yin, “Oleanolic acid and ursolic acid induce apoptosis in four human liver cancer cell lines,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 842–848, 2010.
- C.-Y. Huang, C.-Y. Lin, C.-W. Tsai, and M.-C. Yin, “Inhibition of cell proliferation, invasion and migration by ursolic acid in human lung cancer cell lines,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1274–1280, 2011.
- K. H. Kim, H. S. Seo, H. S. Choi, I. H. Choi, Y. C. Shin, and S.-G. Ko, “Induction of apoptotic cell death by ursolic acid through mitochondrial death pathway and extrinsic death receptor pathway in MDA-MB-231 cells,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1363–1372, 2011.
- H. Zhang, X. Li, and J. Ding, “Delivery of ursolic acid (UA) in polymeric nanoparticles effectively promotes the apoptosis of gastric cancer cells through enhanced inhibition of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2),” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 441, no. 1-2, pp. 261–268, 2013.
- J. Liu, “Oleanolic acid and ursolic acid: research perspectives,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 92–94, 2005.
- Y. Zhong, J. Wang, Y. Wang, et al., “Preparation and evaluation of liposome-encapsulated codrug LMX,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 438, pp. 240–248, 2012.
- S. Vemuri and C. T. Rhodes, “Preparation and characterization of liposomes as therapeutic delivery systems: a review,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 95–111, 1995.
- J. Huwyler, J. Drewe, and S. Krähenbühl, “Tumor targeting using liposomal antineoplastic drugs,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 2008.
- R. Cavalli, O. Caputo, and M. R. Gasco, “Preparation and characterization of solid lipid nanospheres containing paclitaxel,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 305–309, 2000.
- M. L. Immordino, F. Dosio, and L. Cattel, “Stealth liposomes: review of the basic science, rationale, and clinical applications, existing and potential,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 297–315, 2006.
- V. Torchilin, “Multifunctional and stimuli-sensitive pharmaceutical nanocarriers,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 431–444, 2009.
- M. C. De Oliveira, V. Rosilio, P. Lesieur et al., “pH-sensitive liposomes as a carrier for oligonucleotides: a physico-chemical study of the interaction between DOPE and a 15-mer oligonucleotide in excess water,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 87, no. 2-3, pp. 127–137, 2000.
- S. Simões, J. Nuno Moreira, C. Fonseca, N. Düzgüneş, and M. C. Pedroso De Lima, “On the formulation of pH-sensitive liposomes with long circulation times,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 947–965, 2004.
- A. D. Carvalho Jr., F. P. Vieira, V. J. De Melo et al., “Preparation and cytotoxicity of cisplatin-containing liposomes,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1149–1157, 2007.
- P. M. Gullino, F. H. Grantham, S. H. Smith, and A. C. Haggerty, “Modifications of the acid-base status of the internal milieu of tumors,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 857–869, 1965.
- A. D. Bangham, M. M. Standish, and J. C. Watkins, “Diffusion of univalent ions across the lamellae of swollen phospholipids,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 238–252, 1965.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- Agência Nacional De Vigilância Sanitária, “Guia para validação de métodos analíticos,” Resolução no. 899, de 20 de maio de 2003, http://www.anvisa.gov.br/legis/resol/2003/re/899_03re.htm.
- R. R. C. New, Liposomes: A Pratical Approach, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- V. P. Torchilin, “Targeted pharmaceutical nanocarriers for cancer therapy and imaging,” The AAPS Journal, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. E128–E147, 2007.
- F. Yuan, M. Dellian, D. Fukumura et al., “Vascular permeability in a human tumor xenograft: molecular size dependence and cutoff size,” Cancer Research, vol. 55, no. 17, pp. 3752–3756, 1995.
- X. Wang, Y. Wang, Z. Chen, et al., “Advances of cancer therapy by nanotechnology,” Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 41, pp. 1–11, 2009.
- A. Puri, K. Loomis, B. Smith et al., “Lipid-based nanoparticles as pharmaceutical drug carriers: from concepts to clinic,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 523–580, 2009.
- D. D. Lasic, “Novel applications of liposomes,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 307–321, 1998.
- T. Yang, F.-D. Cui, M.-K. Choi et al., “Enhanced solubility and stability of PEGylated liposomal paclitaxel: in vitro and in vivo evaluation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 338, no. 1-2, pp. 317–326, 2007.
- M. Johnsson and K. Edwards, “Liposomes, disks and spherical micelles: aggregate structure in mixtures of gel phase phosphatidylcholines and poly(ethyleneglycol)-phospholipids,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 3839–3847, 2003.
- A. A. Ramos, C. F. Lima, M. L. Pereira, M. Fernandes-Ferreira, and C. Pereira-Wilson, “Antigenotoxic effects of quercetin, rutin and ursolic acid on HepG2 cells: evaluation by the comet assay,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2008.