- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 467263, 7 pages
The Effect of Created Local Hyperosmotic Microenvironment in Microcapsule for the Growth and Metabolism of Osmotolerant Yeast Candida krusei
1Department of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Huaqiao University, Xiamen 361021, China
2Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, China
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 15 September 2013; Accepted 16 September 2013
Academic Editor: Hongjuan Liu
Copyright © 2013 Guo Chen and Shanjing Yao. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. X. Wang, J. Zhuge, H. Y. Fang, and B. A. Prior, “Glycerol production by microbial fermentation: a review,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 201–223, 2001.
- P. Vijaikishore and N. G. Karanth, “Glycerol production by fermentation—a review,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 21, pp. 54–57, 1986.
- H. J. Liu, D. H. Liu, and J. J. Zhong, “Novel fermentation strategy for enhancing glycerol production by Candida krusei,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 1615–1619, 2003.
- H. R. Jin, H. Y. Fang, and J. Zhuge, “By-product formation by a novel glycerol-producing yeast, Candida glycerinogenes, with different O2 supplies,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 311–314, 2003.
- X. Z. Chen, H. Y. Fang, Z. M. Rao et al., “Cloning and characterization of a NAD+-dependent glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene from Candida glycerinogenes, an industrial glycerol producer,” FEMS Yeast Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 725–734, 2008.
- P. E. Thomé, “Heterologous expression of glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene [DhGPD1] from the osmotolerant yeast Debaryomyces hansenii in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Current Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 87–90, 2005.
- H. Djelal, A. Amrane, F. Lahrer, and G. Martin, “Effect of medium osmolarity on the bioproduction of glycerol and ethanol by Hansenula anomala growing on glucose and ammonium,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 341–349, 2005.
- G. Kayingo, S. G. Kilian, and B. A. Prior, “Conservation and release of osmolytes by yeasts during hypo-osmotic stress,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2002.
- C. Larsson, C. Morales, L. Gustafsson, and L. Adler, “Osmoregulation of the salt-tolerant yeast Debaryomyces hansenii grown in a chemostat at different salinities,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 172, no. 4, pp. 1769–1774, 1990.
- Y. Q. Liu, D. H. Liu, Q. Su, and D. M. Xie, “Glycerol production by Candida krusei employing NaCl as an osmoregulator in batch and continuous fermentations,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 1137–1140, 2002.
- J. K. Park and H. N. Chang, “Microencapsulation of microbial cells,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 303–319, 2000.
- N. A. Mostafa and Y. H. Magdy, “Utilization of molasses and akalona hydrolyzate for continuous glycerol production in a packed bed bioreactor,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 671–677, 1998.
- F. Remize, L. Barnavon, and S. Dequin, “Glycerol export and glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, but not glycerol phosphatase, are rate limiting for glycerol production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 301–312, 2001.
- Y. Shen, S. J. Yao, and Z. J. Ye, “Study on the preparation of sodium cellulose sulfate,” Chemical Reaction Engineering and Technology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 307–313, 1999.
- D. Lewińska, S. Rosiński, D. Hunkeler, D. Poncelet, and A. Weryński, “Mass transfer coefficient in characterization of gel beads and microcapsules,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 209, no. 2, pp. 533–540, 2002.
- G. L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- M. R. F. Ashworth, in Analytical Methods for Glycerol, A. A. Newman, Ed., pp. 19–21, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- A. Blomberg and L. Adler, “Physiology of osmotolerance in fungi,” Advances in Microbial Physiology, vol. 33, pp. 145–212, 1992.
- J. Zhang, S. J. Yao, and Y. X. Guan, “Preparation of macroporous sodium cellulose sulphate/poly(dimethyldiallylammonium chloride) capsules and their characteristics,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 255, no. 1-2, pp. 89–98, 2005.